DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

41 minutes ago, J.H. said:

The other part of thst is that Vertigo, Ink and Zoom are all ending with Age ratings being added to all books. Does this mean the Sandman titles are done?

James

That or they'll be Black Label going forward

On 6/18/2019 at 7:36 AM, The Natural said:

Batman: Knightfall Part One – Broken Bat collects Batman #491-497 and Detective Comics #659-663 written by Chuck Dixon and Doug Moench. There’s a new arrival on the scene called Bane who attacks Arkham Asylum freeing the inmates, Batman goes after them. This is Bane’s plan to tire Batman out physically and mentally breaking the Bat, that he does. Bane breaks Batman’s back. All made for a great story and an important moment in Batman’s eighty year history. My printing is from 2011 with Mike Deodarto’s cover illustration. It’s a shame the cover for each issue is missing unlike how nearly all hardback and trade paperbacks are. I’m also confused with the varying versions of Knightfall editions out there.

As a kid the Knightfall/KnightQuest/Knightsend   and Death and Return of Superman stories were huge to me. My parents divorced around that time and my mom would take me 45 mins to a Media play store in Erie PA to buy comics.  I'l never forget when I bought the original 3 Knightfall/Knightsend trades.   Just this past week on Ebay I went and bought the Hardcover Omnibusses for Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend  and Death and Return of Superman.  I look forward to seeing these on the glossy paper.    The one thing I have noticed in previous DC Hardcover Omnibusses is that they don't usually show the covers of the comics.  Sometimes they do in the back of the book with the sketches and varient covers  but it would be nice to have the covers in order as well as a table of contents.  I'm a DC guy for the most part but Marvel has DC beat when it comes to Omnibusses.

• Like 5

The dopiest part of the DC rebranding is the abandoning of Ink and Zoom as brands inside six months when both have started with EXTREMELY strong sales reported, particularly in the book market which was the aim. Like yeah, let's take work from a newly established success and lump it in with the rest of the publishing line to get lost. Great plan.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-announces-massive-list-of-ya-middle-grade-graphic-novels-for-2020-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2p7B6lIAEHA3NUGV2NU47iT9AyAcrC27f_o4Y4B4O4ef05ccH5W3-wdV4

Speaking of the kids lines, DC announced a bunch more stuff for them. There's a lot of cool stuff here and honestly I'm more excited for stuff from these than anything from the big 2 main lines. But uh, Johnny Constantine, middle school character is...weird.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:40 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

The Jimmy book is like if you crossed the Nick Spencer Jimmy book from 2011 with Fraction's Hawkeye. It's a blast.

Given that glowing recommendation I might give it a try.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

I really want to hear what Alan Moore has to say about that, lol.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:10 PM, J.H. said:

The other part of thst is that Vertigo, Ink and Zoom are all ending with Age ratings being added to all books. Does this mean the Sandman titles are done?

James

They may be counting Sandman Universe as a pop up a la YA or Wonder, or they may fold into Black Label

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Who's the Spectre these days? 

Corrigan? Crispus? No secret identity? 

I'll admit that it has been awhile, but didn't the spirit of Jim Corrigan finally get to rest? I think Crispus was short-term and the last I recall the Spectre was just the Spirit of Vengeance with no secret  Identity.

22 hours ago, Eivion said:

Going of of that list it would be 1970s-1990s, the first Azreal suit, Batman Inc., & Rebirth.

It's weird to see that outfit associated with Inc when it's been around so much longer.  The "70s suit with black instead of blue" was his look in the Morrison JLA; since I wasn't reading any Bat-family books but Nightwing at the time I just assumed it was his post-Knightsend outfit

On 6/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, Eivion said:

Going of of that list it would be 1970s-1990s, the first Azreal suit, Batman Inc., & Rebirth.

Hated the 1970s-1990s costume, nothing says "terrifying creature of the night" like a big yellow circle on your costume highlighting your logo.

6 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Hated the 1970s-1990s costume, nothing says "terrifying creature of the night" like a big yellow circle on your costume highlighting your logo.

TBF, I always thought the point of the yellow circle was Bats had it heavily armored as a big blinking target for bad guys to go after at the expense of more vulnerable body parts like his head. It wasn't a bug, it was a feature.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

TBF, I always thought the point of the yellow circle was Bats had it heavily armored as a big blinking target for bad guys to go after at the expense of more vulnerable body parts like his head. It wasn't a bug, it was a feature.

That was how Miller played it up in Dark Knight Returns. Give them a target so they don't hit a a less covered area.

James

On 7/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Gotta love that in the first 50+ years, they only had four major variants of the costume. Then 17 in less than 25 years.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, Eivion said:

To be fair should the Lantern suits and Zurr-en-Arrh suit really count? They weren't normal things.

Yeah, if you don't count the replacement Batmen or the weird one off variants (which like, no rainbow Batman from the 50s or anything so) then it drops to 6 for Bruce.