DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Amazing that Jason Todd and James Buchanan Barnes were both brought back around the same time. Both especially Bucky stayed dead for years. I wasn’t following comics at the time, so what was the reaction to the news and the books they occurred in? Thanks.

Edited by The Natural

I want to know in what universe "Superboy Prime punched the multiverse so hard that a universe where Jason Todd lived briefly overlapped with one where he died for just long enough to resurrect him in his grave, only for him to go braindead around the time Talia opted to dig him up and dip him in the Lazarus Pit." is predictable cause damn.

3 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I want to know in what universe "Superboy Prime punched the multiverse so hard that a universe where Jason Todd lived briefly overlapped with one where he died for just long enough to resurrect him in his grave, only for him to go braindead around the time Talia opted to dig him up and dip him in the Lazarus Pit." is predictable cause damn.

I'm thinking he more meant the Lazarus Pit stuff.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm thinking he more meant the Lazarus Pit stuff.

I figured. I was more riffing on the fact that even reading the thing with a solid knowledge of that period the actual mechanisms of the resurrection are weird as all hell and hard to actually understand due to messy delivery. Which is probably why every subsequent take bypasses it and just goes with the Lazarus Pit even though they aren't supposed to work that way.

Sorry Natural, wasn't meaning it as a shot but text and tone sometimes don't blend.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I figured. I was more riffing on the fact that even reading the thing with a solid knowledge of that period the actual mechanisms of the resurrection are weird as all hell and hard to actually understand due to messy delivery. Which is probably why every subsequent take bypasses it and just goes with the Lazarus Pit even though they aren't supposed to work that way.

Sorry Natural, wasn't meaning it as a shot but text and tone sometimes don't blend.

We're good, Unholy Dragon.

Considering it's a comic book that sold surprisingly well, probably not.

Spoiler

My take on the ending is that Scott is dead, but it's open to interpretation whether he is in heaven or hell.  Of course, the ending is vague enough that you can posit some other interpretation - Darkseid trap, pocket universe, unconscious but not dead, etc.

My theory is that the suicide attempt was successful and the stuff with Metron was Metron attempting to stop Scott from going "into the light" - a lifeline Scott ultimately refused.

I feel like King intended Scott to be dead.

It's worth noting the Rich Johnson said there could be future King/Mr. Miracle projects in the pipeline.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Amazing that Jason Todd and James Buchanan Barnes were both brought back around the same time. Both especially Bucky stayed dead for years. I wasn’t following comics at the time, so what was the reaction to the news and the books they occurred in? Thanks.

There was a decent amount of sniping at the time but it seemed to just be the zeitgeist.

• Like 1

And then you have that year where Bats and Cap are both presumed dead, replaced by their original sidekick, but are actually trapped in a weird time travel gimmick, and both come back but the sidekick keeps the mantle for awhile.

It was weird and Dragon and I were just talking about it on Twitter the other day.

• Like 2

Gave the fuck up on the early-Wildstorm readthrough, because how could I not?  Been butting heads with trying to read Metal all the way thru. And for the fourth time I've started trying to read Power of the Atom.  It SHOULD be right up my alley, Roger Stern writing Ray Palmer.  But it's not, and I can't quite figure out why it's crashing so hard for me.  The art's fine, the concept is too grimdark but it's the state I first fell in love witht he char in (Suicide Squad, which picked up from this story), but something about it just doesn't work for me.

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

There was a decent amount of sniping at the time but it seemed to just be the zeitgeist.

Thanks, @Matt D

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And then you have that year where Bats and Cap are both presumed dead, replaced by their original sidekick, but are actually trapped in a weird time travel gimmick, and both come back but the sidekick keeps the mantle for awhile.

It was weird and Dragon and I were just talking about it on Twitter the other day.

What timing to have similar stories like that. 

Heroes in Crisis was crummy. A hell of a lot of work to get to a place nowhere wanted to be. All of the attempts to smooth things out at the end sort of works hilariously. It's a bunch of really messed up people doing the rationalization, which very much feels like King talking directly to us, maybe in some sort of Didio/Harras-driven hostage situation, right before they take Wally away anyway. 

Doomsday Clock is easily the greatest thing Johns has ever written. I don't even think there's anything close from a craft standpoint. I've said it before and I think this issue really drives that point home. It's just all so inherently flawed. I don't think there's ever been a superhero comic that's been so good and so bad at at the same time.

Also, @The Natural, the Bucky/Jason thing is a little like the current use of Black Cat and Catwoman. Not exactly 1 to 1 but they've both come back into a certain level of prominence as supporting cast members in similar ways at similar times.

Edited by Matt D
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Heroes in Crisis was crummy. A hell of a lot of work to get to a place nowhere wanted to be. All of the attempts to smooth things out at the end sort of works hilariously. It's a bunch of really messed up people doing the rationalization, which very much feels like King talking directly to us, maybe in some sort of Didio/Harras-driven hostage situation, right before they take Wally away anyway. 

Doomsday Clock is easily the greatest thing Johns has ever written. I don't even think there's anything close from a craft standpoint. I've said it before and I think this issue really drives that point home. It's just all so inherently flawed. I don't think there's ever been a superhero comic that's been so good and so bad at at the same time.

Also, @The Natural, the Bucky/Jason thing is a little like the current use of Black Cat and Catwoman. Not exactly 1 to 1 but they've both come back into a certain level of prominence as supporting cast members in similar ways at similar times.

Cheers, @Matt D. I've loosely followed the spoilers for Heroes in Crisis but not HIC #9 as I've just got home from my charity shop shift. Mind a recap? Feel for the Wally West fans, he's the Flash to me via the Justice League cartoon. I think HIC has soured a section of people on Tom King.

I reviewed the first four or five issues of Doomsday Clock. With the delays I thought I'd get them and read it when complete. Now I might where I left off so I can read the remainder in real time.

Good point about Catwoman and Black Cat. Latter does little to me but Nick Spencer's done a fine job fixing what Dan Slott did to her.

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, @Matt D. I've loosely followed the spoilers for Heroes in Crisis but not HIC #9 as I've just got home from my charity shop shift. Mind a recap? Feel for the Wally West fans, he's the Flash to me via the Justice League cartoon. I think HIC has soured a section of people on Tom King.

I reviewed the first four or five issues of Doomsday Clock. With the delays I thought I'd get them and read it when complete. Now I might where I left off so I can read the remainder in real time.

Good point about Catwoman and Black Cat. Latter does little to me but Nick Spencer's done a fine job fixing what Dan Slott did to her.

summed up clumsily:

So the whole deal was that Wally freaked out and lost control of his speed, mainly because he couldn't handle being the symbol of hope in a world where he lost Linda and the kids despite doing everything right. He ended up framing Booster and Harley and then went back in time to basically kill himself in the moment, but Booster/Harley/Batgirl/Beetle showed up and gave him words of understanding. They made it seem like Superman letting the world know that heroes had issues too and that sanctuary was open to all metas made everything better somehow and that none of this was really Wally's fault. They got a fake dead body of Wally to close the time loop and not Flashpoint everything and Wally forgave himself for not being perfect and everything was all tied up in a knot.. Oh but the Justice League took him to jail anyway. The end.

I'm sure someone could explain that 30% better but it wouldn't make it much better.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

summed up clumsily:

Reveal hidden contents

So the whole deal was that Wally freaked out and lost control of his speed, mainly because he couldn't handle being the symbol of hope in a world where he lost Linda and the kids despite doing everything right. He ended up framing Booster and Harley and then went back in time to basically kill himself in the moment, but Booster/Harley/Batgirl/Beetle showed up and gave him words of understanding. They made it seem like Superman letting the world know that heroes had issues too and that sanctuary was open to all metas made everything better somehow and that none of this was really Wally's fault. They got a fake dead body of Wally to close the time loop and not Flashpoint everything and Wally forgave himself for not being perfect and everything was all tied up in a knot.. Oh but the Justice League took him to jail anyway. The end.

I'm sure someone could explain that 30% better but it wouldn't make it much better.

...Fuck.

Heroes In Crisis was like watching a team spend a whole quarter of football trying to get to the one yard line on a running game between teams you don't care about.

James

• Like 1

Heroes in Crisis is in that Identity Crisis and Killing Joke zone. I like the story well enough in isolation but the knock on effects of it existing are awful enough that it probably shouldn't. Would have made a great Black Label book, honestly.

I think it's really funny that the same week King's run of Batman got cut short he let slip in an interview that Wally, Booster, and Harley's roles in HiC were editorially mandated. Not in a bridge burning way, just like "So these were the things I had to work with and I think I made it work." Throwing editorial under the bus in a professional way. Fantastic.

• Like 1

That is somewhat nice to hear. Too many were kind of trying to put all of that on King. I think its impossible not to see how both Dick and Wally getting fucked over the second Johns is out of power isn't on Didio, the person in power who dislikes both.