DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 4/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

How nice of them to give older fans a reason to stop buying single issues a week after Universe's comic library becomes worthwhile.

It's amazing that literally the only thing holding the line against the onslaught of this is Brian Bendis.

Young Justice was astoundingly feel good.

• Like 1

Finally caught up on my Detective Comics. Read #997-1002. Tomasi's first arc was nice enough but also could have easily been done in 2-3 issues. Detective #1000 was nice array of stories. Kind of surprised Bendis was one of the better ones. My favorite one was probably between Smith's and Dini's. The Arkham Knight story Tomasi is on currently is interesting enough. Its another anti-Batman type of character, but I like the belief he and his Knights of Sun seem to be running on.

• Like 1

I keep downloading Image-era Wildstorm comics from DC Universe. I never experienced anything in the WSU until the start of The Authority (oh god that was 20 years ago) and the push away from an entire universe based on Stuff Jim Lee Likes. A few thoughts:

1) I wonder whether everyone just wanted to draw like 90s Lee that badly or if he deliberately selected imitators to give the line a house style
2) Even by the often distorted and male gazey standards of cape books, Wildstorm Cleavage is hilarious and horrifying
3) Most of these have obviously not had their coloring modernized and it shows. Some of the colors just read wrong on a screen. (If this were something I'd care about, I might try to track down original issues in a quarter bin, but it's really more a curiosity as "waste time between customer service calls" reading)
4) The Image i shopped out and replaced with the 2016 DC logon, the huge blocks of white where the old Image indicia were, the footnotes letting me know that if I want to find out where Battalion is heading from here I can find him in Spawn or Youngblood...this is why building a superhero universe entirely from creator-owned characters was doomed. (I prefer the Invincible approach of "well, yeah, all those characters exist here with permission of the creator, but they're not in continuity with their ongoings unless otherwise noted.")

5)5) it's weird that they have the complete runs of WildCATs, Stormwatch (minus Team Achilles, which I loved but will NEVER be reprinted as long as DiDio has any say because the writer lied about having combat experience to get the job) and DV8 but only one pre-reboot issue of Gen13.

29 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I keep downloading Image-era Wildstorm comics from DC Universe. I never experienced anything in the WSU until the start of The Authority (oh god that was 20 years ago) and the push away from an entire universe based on Stuff Jim Lee Likes. A few thoughts:

1) I wonder whether everyone just wanted to draw like 90s Lee that badly or if he deliberately selected imitators to give the line a house style
2) Even by the often distorted and male gazey standards of cape books, Wildstorm Cleavage is hilarious and horrifying
3) Most of these have obviously not had their coloring modernized and it shows. Some of the colors just read wrong on a screen. (If this were something I'd care about, I might try to track down original issues in a quarter bin, but it's really more a curiosity as "waste time between customer service calls" reading)
4) The Image i shopped out and replaced with the 2016 DC logon, the huge blocks of white where the old Image indicia were, the footnotes letting me know that if I want to find out where Battalion is heading from here I can find him in Spawn or Youngblood...this is why building a superhero universe entirely from creator-owned characters was doomed. (I prefer the Invincible approach of "well, yeah, all those characters exist here with permission of the creator, but they're not in continuity with their ongoings unless otherwise noted.")

5)5) it's weird that they have the complete runs of WildCATs, Stormwatch (minus Team Achilles, which I loved but will NEVER be reprinted as long as DiDio has any say because the writer lied about having combat experience to get the job) and DV8 but only one pre-reboot issue of Gen13.

I'm not convinced this is the best use of your time, my friend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm not convinced this is the best use of your time, my friend.

honestly it's mostly been while I'm at work during the parts of the day where I have to take customer service incalls.  There's a lot of dead space this time of year so it's good to have something I can read 2-3 panels at a time and not feel resentful when I have to put the tablet down to talk to a human.

As much as I dislike Ellis and his stuff these days, hard to explain how fresh that stuff he did in Stormwatch was at the time. Little did we know how repetitive it would eventually become. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As much as I dislike Ellis and his stuff these days, hard to explain how fresh that stuff he did in Stormwatch was at the time. Little did we know how repetitive it would eventually become. 

I'm waiting on them to add Tokyo Storm Warning so I can either be angry at it all over again or decide that I'm over it.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've never read the really early WS stuff. But, at the risk of a @Matt D scolding, I'm very very happy to have gotten the new versions of both volumes of Absolute Authority

The Ellis stuff is fine. It's on your blighted soul if you want to support a story with wretched evil goblin Jack Kirby.

I remember liking Deathblow from the old Image/WS days. I remember how Ellis killed off the prime members of Stormwatch in a crossover with Alien and was lik "this feels like bullshit!". Do we even bring up the ripoff of Galactus that they had as major event?

James

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

What do we think to Tom King's Batman run? Inconsistent for me.

There's bits I like particularly Batman Annual #2 (the highpoint) and The Button crossover with the Flash. I am Bane was good. Batman #50 was bad. Don't like what he's done with Flashpoint Batman from that point on. Drawing a blank on others. Fair amount of filler content too.

My least favorite Batman run since I properly started reading them by a combination of Batman Begins (2005) and Grant Morrison's epic run.

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

Few guesses:

Bat and Cat get married for real. 

Bats and Cats have a baby. 

Flashpoint Batman sticks around. 

Batman's secret identity becomes public knowledge. 

Hatchet job to Batman like Wally West.

Edited by The Natural

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

What do we think to Tom King's Batman run? Inconsistent for me.

There's bits I like particularly Batman Annual #2 (the highpoint) and The Button crossover with the Flash. I am Bane was good. Batman #50 was bad. Don't like what he's done with Flashpoint Batman from that point on. Drawing a blank on others. Fair amount of filler content too.

My least favorite Batman run since I properly started reading them by a combination of Batman Begins (2005) and Grant Morrison's epic run.

I only just finished the Tyrant Wing which goes up #60 and the #2 Annual. I think its uneven at times, but generally solid-good. So far the weakest parts for me were the rushed Gotham arc in the beginning and the Booster story which was bad. Otherwise I've dug the stuff with Bane and the Wedding tease with Selina though I'm admittedly goign to be a bit salty if they don't go back and get them together by the end of this damn thing.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Few guesses:

I'm hoping the marriage happens, but I doubt it with Didio in charge.

A baby (Helena) wouldn't be a big deal at this point and won;t happen simply because of how it would affect Catwoman's own book.

Flashpoint Batman sticking around wouldn't be a big deal.

Bruce going public would be massively stupid, but I can see that being it.

Honestly, I'm kind of wondering if they might retire Bruce for a while. Let him and Selina get married, have a kid, and pass the mantle off to Dick or someone else. We have had other Batmans before, but doing what they did in Flash with Barry to Wally after Crisis would be a big and interesting generational change. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I'mI just can't see that being something that sticks for a generation or whatever. Sure, Wally replaced Barry for twenty plus years, but Barry as a character was dead in the water. His book had been cancelled after The Trial of Barry Allen killed it dead, he'd been almost completely written out of the entire DC Universe. So replacing him with Wally wasn't really that difficult a sell (it's notable to me, at least, that there really wasn't much clamoring for his return, unlike Hal) and there's no way I see them leaving their single best selling, most popular character on ice for nearly that long.

Plus, I mean, Dick has taken the mantle twice, and Jean Paul once, so it's not really that earthshaking anyway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Few guesses:

I can't see any of those choices being a lasting, generational change.  Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to imagine what they could do that would result in any sort of seismic "generational" change.

• Like 1

Batman goes over the edge and kills Joker or someone else of significance could be a "generational" change. Killing off Gordon or Alfred would be big too and also stupid. Or worse they do something strange and give him superpowers or introduce time traveling or dimension hopping stuff or something similarly lame like that. Mostly I'm not hopeful that it will turn out interesting.

I've found King's run very uneven, I have the trade with the "wedding" sitting on top of my read pile I should get to it this week if things stay calm, from there I'm gonna decide if I want to keep reading the run or not. Outside of Cat and Bat's relationship and the I Am Bane arc I haven't been overly fond of the run. The War of Jokes and Riddles was ok-ish wasn't a fan of how the Riddler was portrayed but as an isolated story it wasn't terrible, the first arc was too rushed, it hasn't been terrible but it hasn't been very good either, it's just been middling which is disappointing. I had high hopes for King on Batman but it just hasn't been great.

• Like 1

Just read advance copies for the first issues of both Event Leviathan and Superman: Year One.

Event Leviathan is a Bendis super espionage crossover. It's pretty good but a very talky first issue. The art by Alex Maleev is the real selling point, I think but it's quite good so that's not really an issue.

Superman: Year One is another case of Frank Miller being back on form, I think. Has a couple things I could do without, but is more wonder than grit and makes for a strong start honestly.

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm at stupid levels of excited for Superman Year One.

Relatedly, there was also a preview in black and white for #2. Still very good, though it does have some uncomfortable Frank Miller Islamophobia packed in so that's...a thing. 

For a three issue series, he uses a really smart point of focus to divide each period. I'm not going to say what it is because spoilers, but it's pretty clever.