DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Kingdom Come (1996) co-written by Mark Waid and Alex Ross with Ross’ art in an Elseworlds tale. Superman retired, there are those who did the same while others carried on like Batman. All are older. New metahumans arrive on the scene, Superman returns with Wonder Woman to show them the way to behave. This causes tensions. Lex Luthor wants to exploit them. One of the big comic books I hadn’t read was worth the wait. A commentary on heroes and their methods. How far do we go to right wrongs? Power and how it’s used – judgment. The lives lost. The One Year Later section is terrific in its own right, loved that. A brilliant book, one of the best I’ve read in my time reading comics. 

Supergirl,  Book 2  
Peter David

I don't know yet how the rest of the series will be. But 20 issues in, this is everything I could want in a comic book. Alternately funny and dark. Well developed heroes and supporting cast. People who respond and react like human beings. Great fight scenes. A connection to wider DC continuity without having to be there all the time. Surprises. God. Angels. Demons. Mysteries. Emotions. Realistic family and relationship issues. Racial and sexual diversity without it being a thing (looking at YOU, America Chavez solo series). Terrific artwork - heck, even some Greg Land before he learned he could just trace Victoria's Secret models.

Damn, this is good comics. 

Edited by Captain Kronos
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 1:56 PM, J.H. said:

Qucik question because it has always bothered me...
Did Batman ever get his win Back from Bane after Knightfall?
(of course I mean Bruce)

James

Pretty sure Bruce has defeated Bane repeatedly, and before DC shat the bed, Bane respected Bruce to the point that he actually tried to stand in for him in Gotham as a hero once.

9 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Supergirl,  Book 2  
Peter David

I don't know yet how the rest of the series will be. But 20 issues in, this is everything I could want in a comic book. Alternately funny and dark. Well developed heroes and supporting cast. People who respond and react like human beings. Great fight scenes. A connection to wider DC continuity without having to be there all the time. Surprises. God. Angels. Demons. Mysteries. Emotions. Realistic family and relationship issues. Racial and sexual diversity without it being a thing (looking at YOU, America Chavez solo series). Terrific artwork - heck, even some Greg Land before he learned he could just trace Victoria's Secret models.

Absolutely, flat out, hands down my favorite comic series/run ever.

• Like 1

Dammit DC, you're finally reprinting the Gerry Conway/Gene Colan Vampire Batman stories from the early 80s?
September needs to hurry up and get here. Those comics scared the shit out of me when I was little

James

Been reading the Mark Waid Flash run again after waiting 6 or months for volume 3 to finally pop up at my library. Up to volume 4 and liking it so far. For me not too much of it is amazing, but so much of it is just solid storytelling in general with the most interesting things probably being the beginnings of the speed force and the interactions between the speedsters.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Been reading the Mark Waid Flash run again after waiting 6 or months for volume 3 to finally pop up at my library. Up to volume 4 and liking it so far. For me not too much of it is amazing, but so much of it is just solid storytelling in general with the most interesting things probably being the beginnings of the speed force and the interactions between the speedsters.

The Flash was just s remarkably consistent book for two decades. It wasn't always the best book on the stands, but it was almost never bad.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 5:24 PM, Captain Kronos said:

Supergirl,  Book 2  
Peter David

Warning you now, If you make it all the way to the end of PAD's run, you will absolutely get your heart broken.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ace said:

Warning you now, If you make it all the way to the end of PAD's run, you will absolutely get your heart broken.

This is a fact.

But it looks like they've stopped doing the collections, which fucking sucks 

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04/08/dc-to-release-entire-golden-silver-and-bronze-age-comic-library-on-dc-universe-this-week/

In what the company is calling a stress test for its DC Universe digital comic reading app, DC Comics announced that they will release their entire digitized catalog of Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age comics this week, comprising a total of almost 3,000 comics.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder what percentage of the actual total material that 3000 comics would be.

I assume not a whole lot. But they did say all comics from those eras will be added as they are digitized.

And this is just the stress test before they drop thousands more books, although more recent.

It would be something if we got some non-cape stuff, like westerns and romance comics. War books we likely would get. 

I would bet they won’t be putting up license stuff the bob hope or Jerry Lewis books. 

Also, I wonder about the fawcett and quality libraries. 

Edited by odessasteps

So is there anything worthwhile currently on DCU? I subscribed mostly to watch young Justice S3 (which I've finished whats available) and Doom Patrol (haven't started yet). I'm curious if there is anything worth reading up that may make it worth staying when I'm done with Doom Patrol.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

So is there anything worthwhile currently on DCU? I subscribed mostly to watch young Justice S3 (which I've finished whats available) and Doom Patrol (haven't started yet). I'm curious if there is anything worth reading up that may make it worth staying when I'm done with Doom Patrol.

Right now, there is a relatively small but decent selection.

Sometime this month, they are supposed to be adding basically the full digital library (minus the last twelve months) so if you are into DC, there certainly should be plenty of stuff to read.

Detective Comics #1000. Various writers and artists are involved in this milestone and celebrating Batman: 80 Years. The best story by far from Paul Dini/Dustin Nguyen is about a hapless henchman messing things up for baddies such as the Joker and the Riddler. I liked Christopher Priest/Neil Adams for Batman, the detective and the purpose of Tom King/Tony S. Daniel/Joella Jones story. Happy 80th birthday to Batman, the greatest comic book hero of all time. It’s just a shame there’s no story by Grant Morrison, the best writer of the Dark Knight.

Forgot to mention that I finally finished Justice League: The Totality last weekend. Had it for a few weeks now, but it hasn't been a strong enough read for me to go thoroughly quickly while my interests elsewhere are strong. I thought it as a solid enough read. The characters are decent and the ideas are interesting enough, but there is something just a bit off with Snyder's writing at times that keeps me from wanting to come back ASAP. Its not off putting or anything, just not strong in terms of drawing me in. Will say that it did seem to get better as it went on. Hopefully its only improved since though I suspect its will be a bit more all over.