DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 2/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, Brian Fowler said:

On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time something Rich reported was roundly denied before ending up being true. 

The thing is even Rich himself didn't really come across as believing it. I think he just as confused by the current rumors people deliver him.

Well, Didio announced they are cutting the line down 10-15% but specifically denied the 22 number. Also talked about the market being oversaturated and if seems it was taken as a shot at Marvel publishing 8 billion monthly books.

54 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also talked about the market being oversaturated and if seems it was taken as a shot at Marvel publishing 8 billion monthly books.

Says the guy who publishes all his flagship books twice a month and still charges full price for them. ?

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, Didio announced they are cutting the line down 10-15% but specifically denied the 22 number. Also talked about the market being oversaturated and if seems it was taken as a shot at Marvel publishing 8 billion monthly books.

How many books do they normally publish a month (not counting imprints and licensed titles)?   I don't pay that much attention but I thought that DC published 50 or so main DCU books per month.  I'm basing that on a vague recollection that the NEW 52 launched with 52 titles.

In any case, it seems like they'd have to cut the line by much more than 10-15% to get the line down to 22 titles.

I can't imagine "The New 22" being very interesting to me, if it ever comes to that.

That is about what I figured would happen. The 22 number always seemed like bs to me though them cutting books down seemed believable. They aren't really wrong about Marvel over-saturating the market and that comes from someone who reads more Marvel than DC right now. Shit I was super excited about War of the Realms until a dozen or so minis were advertised. Still looking forward to Aaron's specific books, but that was definitely a turn off.

• Like 1

Just now, J.H. said:

Qucik question because it has always bothered me...
Did Batman ever get his win Back from Bane after Knightfall?
(of course I mean Bruce)

James

Physically or Spiritually?

He recently gotten the better of Bane in King's Batman book. 

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Physically or Spiritually?

He recently gotten the better of Bane in King's Batman book. 

But has there been a straight up Mana y Mano throwdown between them since Knightfall?

It always bothered me that it never seemed to happen in the 20+ years since Bane debuted

James

Pretty sure Bruce beat Bane back in Knightfall as part of his recovery though I can't recall if it was one on one. He also beat him in the short Revenge arc by King though Bane seems to be part of the larger story King is telling right now. I'm thinking there were other times as well. Just can't quite remember them right now.

Doomsday Clock 9 Ramble observations spoilers

Spoiler

Seems Captain Atom reverts to his old pre flashpoint self. Donna Troy is in her pre crisis costume. Magic is just leftover reality code being rewritten. Firestorm was manipulated by Stein since always. Superboy Prime shows up in as Guys construct.

Somehow Legion might not exist but does it the JSA exists.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, J.H. said:

Qucik question because it has always bothered me...
Did Batman ever get his win Back from Bane after Knightfall?
(of course I mean Bruce)

James

At least a couple times. Pretty sure he beat him in Legacy and he for sure beat him just after Forever Evil even if some of their other encounters could be considered dicey.

On 2/27/2019 at 2:00 PM, D.Z said:

Flash related.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but seems Barry might be evil in the near future.

There is only one true Flash and his name is Jay Garrick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Flashpoint collects Flashpoint #1-5 by Geoff Johns. Barry Allen/the Flash wakes up to a changed world, can it be brought back to what it was instead of what is? I’ve never read this despite reading the New 52 books and Flashpoint Batman’s appearances after.

This was an event comic that really appealed to me seeing a different reality, different Batman, Superman and at war: Wonder Woman’s Amazons vs. Aquaman’s Atlanteans. Dr. Thomas Wayne’s Batman is one of my favourite Batmen with what happened in Crime Alley, his actions are more violent and the costume designs on point (no pun intended). I’ve known about THAT moving ending. I like it more now having read the story. Flashpoint had a big impact on the DC Comics line with the New 52 reboot. The way you feel to the New 52 time period may for the Flashpoint book also.

Flashpoint: Batman – Knight of Vengeance #1-3 The Flashpoint event creates alterations. Here, Bruce Wayne is killed by Joe Chill in front of Dr. Thomas and Martha Wayne. Thomas Wayne is Batman, a killer than the one we know. This all makes for and without giving the main spoilers away, one of the most unusual and darkest Batman stories. The story and art by Brian Azzarello/Eduardo Risso accompany one another well. 

I hated, hated, hated Flashpoint.  I think that I would've liked it more if it had "just" been an event as it was clearly originally planned, rather than being a catalyst for erasing the DCU I loved and launching the Nu52.  Looking back, I don't think I'm ever gonna be on board with child-murdering Wonder Woman or certain other things in the story but the only reason it pissed me off more than something like Injustice was that they turned it into a total reboot instead of using it to throw the 'real' DCU into sharp relief.  When i saw the cartoon a few years after, when I'd kind of accepted that I was an undesirable peripheral demographic for the comics and moved on, I was able to enjoy it more.

• Like 3

I'm with Cliff.

i enjoyed each issue as they came out, in a "summer blockbuster" way (plus I'm a big fan of AU stuff) but the way it turned into a total reboot absolutely killed it for me. the damage to the New Teen Titans (who?) alone was enough to make me turn out. discarding the entire Golden Age further pushed me away.

• Like 2