DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Aquaman #25 - Solid conclusion but definitely rushed. This really felt like three issues of material folded in one. its sort of obvious Johns was likely rushed off of this title which is a damn shame because he had truly made it one of more interesting titles since Throne of Atlantis. At the very last Johns isn't completely done with Aquaman as there is a nice little post-Forever Evil epilogue that teases on the next big stories for Aquaman and the League.

Damn it.  I guess Johns leaving Aquaman never got mentioned on this board - or if it did, I missed it.  This is pretty much the only comics board/news site I read, so if it doesn't pop up here, I miss it.  I had no idea until this week that Johns was off the book.  Major disappointment.  I didn't feel like Aquaman was Green Lantern/JSA quality, but I could see putting even with Johns' Flash run if Johns had stayed.  One of my favorites right now.

DC just can't get any traction with me.  I find most of their line easily skippable, and the few books that have really interested me lately, have undergone creative team shakeups.  Right now, my DC pull list consists of Fables (ending), Batman, and Justice League (and I liked Aquaman much more than JL). 

Ugh.

Since they've recently started publishing a new paperback collection of the series, I recently decided to reread the entire Preacher series.

For some reason I only read until somewhere around issue 30, when it was originally published.

I have to say this holds up extremely well. I think this would be just as popular today, if it was just released for the first time nowadays.

I haven't read any recent Ennis in years. Is The Boys anywhere near as good as Preacher?

The Boys sis FAR superior to Preacher. I love preacher but it definitely dives into parodying itself after "War In The Sun". The Boys is satire throughout and the dropoff in story quality doesn't quite drop off the way Preacher did.

James

Honestly, looking over Ennis' bibliography, I'd put Preacher middle of the road.  I'm sure a lot of people rate it higher, but I enjoyed the Boys, Hellblazer, his Punisher run, The Demon, and Hitman a lot more than Preacher.  It's a shame that people seem to overlook Hitman.

I grew tired of Ennis' style by his end on Hellblazer, so i read Preacher 1 and gave up. Later read it all. And is was decent. The only thing i would reread now is the Saint of Killers mini.

I'm kinda curious how Hellblazer would hold up for me.  I haven't reread it since it came out, but I loved it at the time.  Whatever happened to Will Simpson anyway?  I thought he'd go on to some high profile books.

For my money, Ennis peaked really early.  I think his best stuff (or, at least, my personal favorites) is Hitman and Troubled Souls, the slice of life gn he did with McCrea.  I think Troubled Souls was his first published work, wasn't it? 

Was any of his Demon run collected? 

I thought Preacher was alright.  I was much more interested in Cassidy's history than the Tulip/Jesse story throughout most of the series. 

Herr Starr failures as a villain were fun.  His character had some good lines too.  However, I think Ennis went overboard with the mutilation angle; it got old quick.  I know Assface was symbolic and maybe it's because I read it in the late 2000s and not the mid-90s, but I dreaded the Assface parts.  I will admit his origin story was a good read in the prequel books.  That's it.

Oh, and the war flashback issue was very well done too.

Finally broke down and bought the Court of Owls Batman trades,  I'm missing a couple of the early issues and it finally dawned on me that I'm not going to find the early issues cheaply and I'm not planning to pay the prices they can be had at on Ebay.

Anyway, reading all of Snyder's run from the beginning.  Really digging it.  Gales of Gotham and Black Mirror are my favorites so far, but I'm in "prefer to read an average Snyder script than good almost-anyone-else" mode.  I liked Death of the Family and the Owls storyline quite a bit, but both were kinda flawed (Owls moreso, I think).  With the Owls storyline, I felt like Batman being trapped in the labyrinth and nearly broken was something that should have happened later, in the back half of the story.  I also really didn't see a strong need for the Owls to abandon 100+ years of secrecy to suddenly attack Gotham en masse.

Zero Year seems really strong so far. 

Rereading Johns' Aquaman run next.

Talon doesn't really have very good sales, so a cancellation wouldn't surprise me.

as far as Snyder goes, i dig a lot of his stuff. Black Mirror being the peak, but Gates of Gotham and Court of Owls were both really great too. Death of the Family was good throughout, but the ending just didn't do much for me. felt very anti-climactic.

haven't even started on Zero Year, waiting for all the issues to be out before i start reading.

i am not joking when i say that my favorite DC book is "Batman '66". it is pitch perfect, clever, and legitimately fun.

Rich Johnson/Bleeding Cool predicted Talon would ship it's last issue in February.  Tynion is apparently off the book regardless.  Has Talon been any good?  I'm kinda leaning towards picking it up at some point, but I'm completely unfamiliar with Tynion.  I think the only thing I've read from him is the Batman Annual he co-scripted with Snyder (which was very good, imo, though I'm a little iffy on some of the retcons to Mr. Freeze's origin).

What do people find anti-climatic about Death of the Family?  That no one died?  I thought the story was pretty damn effective.  Did people really think editorial was going to let the Joker slice off faces of some of their more popular characters?  I thought the story was fine if you accept the idea that the Joker has a weird "attraction" to Batman and is more interested in keeping the game going as is than he is learning Bat's secret identity/killing Bats/whatever  The "Joker may have been in the Batcave" stuff was pretty much in keeping with Batman/Bruce's established personality and issues.

I don't expect the Bats Family-turned-on-Bruce thing to stick, but, realistically, almost any change they make to the status quo isn't going to last.  I could see them killing Tim Drake, but they've killed off two Robins in the past 20 years and Damien was written off less than a year ago, so future Robins are likely safe for quite a while.

I've generally heard only good things about Talon, but his story seems too much like a rip off of JPV's for me to try and read it since I'm big JPV fan.

Still need to check out Death of the Family, but I really dug Court/Night of Owls. Zero Year for the past three issues has been quite good. The conclusion of the first act with the Red Hood Gang was strong, and Dark City has been shaping up nicely though has involved far less Riddler than I would have thought.

Today DC announced Future's End. It will be focusing on the past, present, and future of the New 52. Wiriters are Lemire, Giffen, Azzarello, and Jurgens. The leads are Frankenstein, Firestorm, and seemingly Terry Mcginnis. Not sure it they are tying current Batman Beyond to the DCU or if its just an alternate version for the main universe. I'm hoping its the latter. i have to admit it sound interesting enough for me based on the characters and writers.

I've generally heard only good things about Talon, but his story seems too much like a rip off of JPV's for me to try and read it since I'm big JPV fan.

I always like Azrael as well and i like those anti-Batman kind of characters.  Kind of drawn to those archetypes in the Bat-family of books.