DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

John Constantine question regarding his characterization in comics vs. his tv character

(Spoilered for people who are behind on Legends of Tomorrow)

Spoiler

Apparently John is bisexual in the Berlanti-verse.  Has that even been hinted at in the comics?

I don't remember any hints that John might be bi in the comics, but I haven't read any Hellblazer in a very long time, and I stopped reading the book regularly after Paul Jenkins left. Only read a couple "big name writer" runs after that.  Actually, I have the entire Azzarello run in trades. but have yet to read them.

I don't have a problem with it.  It actually fits John's character.  I can kinda see him jumping anything that breathes, male, female, or demon.  Just curious if that issue was ever raised in the comics.

So uh. That one starts messy because it starts in the Azzarello run in a REALLY messy way that's a huge spoiler if you haven't read it. It's sort of kept around as an offhand thing but never really expanded on.

Tynion's Hellblazer series (from the short lived DC You quasi reboot) has a man as the primary love interest though so it's definitely been canon unambiguously for a couple years now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D.Z said:

Really it's more bi curious tbh.

That kinda makes sense.  Like I said, it's been a decade or more since I read an issue of Hellblazer.  I was a regular through the Jenkins run, then barely read it since except for a couple runs by well-known writers.  I bought the Azz trades at a sale, but never read them.  Guess I might dig them out this week.  Kinda curious about Tynion's run too.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.  Apparently, it''s been a lot longer than I realized since I paid any attention to Hellblazer.

Does anyone know if the Hellblazer Vertigo reprints have been cancelled? I got rid of my previous editions and have been collecting them since they started back in 2011 and have been in the habit of continually preordering to stay on top of them. Volume 20 is out next month but there's no Volume 21 to preorder which hasn't been the case up to now (think I had three volumes on preorder at one point).

Any clues?

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is he still old enough nowadays to have been in a 70s punk band, as he was when Moore created him? 

The Vertigo character aged in real time but that ended in 2013. I don't know what's going on with the abomination they have mixing with superheros now, I buried my head in the sand TBH

Seems Firestorm has Dr.M in his head. Or not. 

The JSA footage existing while team isn't public is strange. Almost like something's broken or nip tucked with time. Nu52 and Rebirth are layers on the pre flashpoint timeline. 

dc-8-JSA.jpg

Gave my tablet to my brother, so it was the comic shop for me today. 

Detective last issue and this issue were sold out. They said they were surprised at how fast today's sold out. 

From DC, I picked up:

• Action 1001-1006
  • Morrison's The Green Lantern 1-2
  • Wonder Woman 61

It's been a long time since I walked out of a comic shop with a stack of floppies, not one of which was a Batman title. (looks like he's in one of the Action issues, though, so I guess I did kind of buy one)

Heroes in Crisis is just odd. It has these single pages that feel iconic but detached. Like King had a dozen pitches for streamlined/modified status quos and just dumped them in here. Some of them are ok, but it's all a mishmash.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

Heroes in Crisis is just odd. It has these single pages that feel iconic but detached. Like King had a dozen pitches for streamlined/modified status quos and just dumped them in here. Some of them are ok, but it's all a mishmash.

I have not read it. Once I heard that Harley was able to outfight and outthink the Big Three all at once, I lost interest. 

I like Harley a lot. But c’mon...

• Like 1