DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Porky/Lex had a backup. The ones from this week had a 4-part Secret Squirrel backup.

I saw the secret squirrel one (since I saw JMD wrote it), but it wasnt done in HB style unless I have forgotten after 2 days. :)

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I saw the secret squirrel one (since I saw JMD wrote it), but it wasnt done in HB style unless I have forgotten after 2 days. :)

Ah, I hadn't actually picked it up. That is a little disappointing to hear.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I loved the second half of the Scooby Doo gorilla issue featured not only the doom patrol, but flex mentallo.

i said this last time,  but why are they still doing those DC/HB team ups? I guess someone must be reading them. It seems, based on flicking through a couple, they aren’t even doing the back up strips drawn in HB style anymore. 

The existence of Reverse Speed Buggy justifies another hundred of them on its own

• Like 1

I read an advance copy and it was good. Feels like Grant doing Grant in that it references a bunch of old continuity stuff to try and make a character thesis and a lot of stuff seems to be setting up bigger things later while still growing the world. Also it may as well be in its own canon because it doesn't really reflect the broader status quo.

It's a lot of fun. I know he's only committed to 12 issues but if he did a Batman length run on this it wouldn't be a bad thing.

With the Morrison DC sale on Comixology, I picked up Aztek, Seven Soldiers and a couple JLA TPBs I didn't have digitally, as well as the complete Multiversity since I somehow never got Ultra Comics or Multi#2 back in the day.  It's telling both about my state of mind as a fan in his early 40s and the general quality of the issue that I remembered The Just as being 70% Kyle and Wally's useless Justice League and 30% superbrats instead of 80 percent superbrats and 20% 90s nostalgia crew.

Morrison/Final Crisis fans not reading The Unexpected should be or get the trade when it drops. #6 ending spoilers.

Spoiler

The isotope is from the Bleed. It goes to blow and Neon drags Firebrand, Hawkman, and himself to its origin point...the To Be Continued grave from Final Crisis. They're confronted by a Tempus Fuginaut, apparently the new police of the multiverse with the Monitors gone, except it gets killed by MANDRAKK, now freed from his prison and ready to feast on the multiverse.

Steve Orlando is so awesome.

EDIT:

Further on Orlando being awesome, Electric Warriors #1 is a blast.

Further on Morrison stuff, Sideways Annual #1 has Grant doing a guest spot returning to his Seven Soldiers as well as dragging the Blue Jeans Superman back into things for fun. It's a blast and worth the read.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:26 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

DC cancelled the Shazam! Monster Society of Evil hardcover for the same vintage racism concerns as 7 or 8 years ago when they cancelled it last time. 

Gotta be a movie thing because we have two hardcovers of pre-Batman Detective Comics coming. Still disappointing given how important the story is to the history of longer form serialization in comics.

On 7/25/2018 at 2:47 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Also of note: Detective Comics Before Batman vols 1 and 2.

I think the first time all 26 pre-Batman issues have ever been collected.

And now this collection has joined The Monster Society on the "cancelled because of content despite being solicited' master list.

I get publishing them because of historical importance. I get not publishing them because of the racism. I don't get soliciting them and then cancelling them because of the racism. Especially two projects in the same year. Like, they solicited the 'Tec hardcovers within the same week they cancelled the Captain Marvel collection.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 1:00 AM, Brian Fowler said:

And now this collection has joined The Monster Society on the "cancelled because of content despite being solicited' master list.

I get publishing them because of historical importance. I get not publishing them because of the racism. I don't get soliciting them and then cancelling them because of the racism. Especially two projects in the same year. Like, they solicited the 'Tec hardcovers within the same week they cancelled the Captain Marvel collection. 

They are gettign approved and solicited before all of the content is properly reviewed.

I've generally enjoyed King's run from what I've read so far. The first arc was rushed, but I liked the idea of it. I enjoyed the stuff with Bane and Catwoman up to where I've read. I actually finished the Wedding trade last weekend. I think the first story I've actively dislike from King was actually the Booster story though I supposed it served some purpose. I really dug the actual wedding bait/switch issue. The spoilers I've read past the Wedding sound decent enough. The only one I dislike is the stuff with Nightwing. Can't decide if that is King or Didio being screwy with Dick. I kind of get the point and why it had such a major effect, but maybe it wasn't the best idea to have such a big thing happen to a character with their own series let alone Dick where its not a secret that the boss has had it out for the character at least once or twice before. Still, I'm looking forward to more Bane and KGBeast.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:26 PM, Player One said:

I like King a lot, but I run hot and cold on his Batman.  That said, I'm pulling for him to make it to 105 and stick the landing.  Crazy how few guys are allowed to stay on a book 2 or three  years, much less 9.

I mean it'll be five years or so years rather than nine by the end because twice monthly but the point stands.

• Haha 1

Yeah. my math was a bit faulty there.  Oops.  I completely forgot KIng's only been on the book a little over two years until I looked it up.  Seems longer.

At the same time, it requires a leap of faith to think you're going to be allowed to stay on a book for 100 issues without having your plans derailed by the next company-wide crossover, an editorial mandate to turn your character into a marsupial,  or complete reboot which sees every book relaunched with a new #1 and new creative team. 

I can't even imagine walking into a meeting and pitching an outline for a hundred issue run.  9 writers out of 10 would be booted off the book by issue 30.

• Like 1