DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's a pretty well crafted comic, especially on the idea that all of this will just be undone later.

That said, DC deserves to have their comics wing shelved by WB forever and replaced by a series of people unboxing things on youtube. 

That they didn't even have the patience to do a year's work of character development using Sanctuary before getting right to the mass deaths is so telling and immature.

I saw the spoilers for this one. It definitely feels like a this has to be undone by the end situation. I think talk of Sanctuary in universe only just started the last month or two.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I saw the spoilers for this one. It definitely feels like a this has to be undone by the end situation. I think talk of Sanctuary in universe only just started the last month or two.

The seeming nonchalance of finding the deceased was really off putting to me, esp guys that Supes should have known for years. 

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

At worst, Norm Breyfogle is the third best Batman artist of all time (behind Neal Adams and Jim Aparo).

It's interesting hearing how many current younger artists see him as their Batman artist, given his long tenure. 

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It's interesting hearing how many current younger artists see him as their Batman artist, given his long tenure. 

Yeah, he had long runs on Batman and Detective, and was the artist of the first Shadow of the Bat storyline. He was always underrated, even by DC--it's criminal how long it took them to finally do one of those Black and White statues for him.

I actually liked all three Justice League books this week. Dark stayed a really good read, Odyssey was a lot better than I expected for a book that got delayed for so long, and the main book has me really curious about the potential repercussions Luthor and crew are gonna face when this all ends because of the scale of all the shit they're doing. Action #1003 felt like straight-up filler outside of Red Cloud showing up for like three panels.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

The seeming nonchalance of finding the deceased was really off putting to me, esp guys that Supes should have known for years. 

The only one Supes has known for years is Wally. They're the only pre-Flashpoint universe people.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

The only one Supes has known for years is Wally. They're the only pre-Flashpoint universe people.

Sort of? Super unclear how the Superman Reborn retcon affected that, honestly. Pretty sure Clark now just remembers this timeline but it's been altered to mostly resemble his post-Crisis timeline with some post New 52 mixed in. 

I actually just all around liked it. Superhero murder mysteries are interesting and the delivery is too. It's inconceivable that either Harley or Booster could kill some of the folks who are dead and it's all set to piece together from the aftermath. And King nailed a lot of the emotional beats along the way.

I think it could turn out more Killing Joke than Identity Crisis: A great comic that nevertheless probably sacrifices more than it was worth.

36 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

And King nailed a lot of the emotional beats along the way.

Uhhhhhh.

Everyone "spoke" like they were doing a table read, except the "confessionals" which seemed like improv-ed character sketches.  Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman were all  unaffected by the deaths of the people they were supposed to be helping.  The PoC cannon fodder was treated as a literal joke.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

They're at a point where once Doomsday Clock is done they're going to need a Zero Hour style cleanup event to fix outstanding continuity issues and explain the current timeline in detail.

Which is hilarious because every single time DC does that it causes more problems than it fixes.

If fans want to understand current DC history, they're gonna have to do it themselves via piecing things together. Which people been doing since 1985 (Coie) and every other reality altering crisis since like Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis,  Flashpoint etc. Wiki and several other sites are there for people to use. 

Someone on comic book resources already made a list of what exists and not exists.
https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?87433-Examples-of-Pre-Flashpoint-Canon-Reasserting-Itself-in-the-DC-Universe

Zero Hour wasn't perfect, but it fixed a lot of the issues and only created a few new ones.

But the demand to get things back into continuity reared up, like it always does. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

The one beat I thought really worked was

Clark kinda tripping over Wally's name. It made sense, he's known Wally forever, etc.

Otherwise it was so very much Identity Crisis, right down to the truly stunning artwork over a bad story.

Of course, I find Killing Joke to be pretty fucking overrated as well. Even Moore considered it his worst story.

• Like 1