DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

At the halfway mark of Batman: The Cult. It's one of the most unique Batman books. It's one for mature readers like The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

The 1980s and 2006-2016 are my favourite years for Batman comic books.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

At the halfway mark of Batman: The Cult. It's one of the most unique Batman books. It's one for mature readers like The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

The 1980s and 2006-2016 are my favourite years for Batman comic books.

Dear God, I forgot the Cult was even a thing.  I really need to go back and reread it.  I remember liking it a great deal at the time, but I haven't read since the issues originally came out.

I kinda miss prestige format.  Nice format and a steady stream of great books.

56 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Impulse Omnibus cancelled. Apparently the colour files were messed up and it was going to look terrible at Omnibus scale so instead they're going to be reprinting the material at standard size in two trades, which suits me better anyway (and can roll on to the non-Waid/Ramos run if it sells well)

I get it, but fuck I pre-ordered it the day it was announced. Dammit

On 9/1/2018 at 2:33 PM, The Natural said:

Today I read Batman '66 meets Wonder Woman' 77. Such a fun book making me smile as I read it. Seek it out.

Batman ’66 Meets Wonder Woman ‘77 collected in single magazine form as Batman ’66 Meets Wonder Woman ’77 #1-6 and online as Batman ’66 Meets Wonder Woman ’77 Chapters #1-12. The story is by Marc Andreyko and series regular Jeff Parker. Bruce Wayne/Batman and Diana Prince/Wonder Woman come into contact with Ra’s al Ghul, his daughter Talia al Ghul and his League of Shadows over three periods in time: Bruce as a 10 year old when his parents were still alive, Bruce now as Batman 22 years later and an older reluctant Batman in ’77.

Set in the world of the 1960s Batman TV series, this book was so much fun and left me smiling as I am right now. We get to see things we didn’t when the series aired such as Bruce’s parents, how he came upon the cave which would become his headquarters, the Batcave and characters created after the show ended. The book is funny. Martha Wayne “What is it about this window that attracts them” regarding bats and Batgirl is now called Batwoman. There’s a darker side too, Nazis and why Bruce hung up the cowl. The writers are able to balance the comedy, heart and seriousness, I recommend it to you!

So I got Absolute Killing Joke and it is VERY nice. As expected the art shines at the Absolute scale. Uses different paper stock for the Higgins coloured version to preserve those colours and includes a really interesting retrospective by Higgins on it plus some odd bits of process art. He posits that his colouring is the Joker's lens while Bolland's later recolouring is Batman's which is a neat concept.

It also includes Moore's full script and in case you needed a reminder he's always been a dangerous madman, it's 134 PAGES! For a 46 page special! Ridiculous.

The two short stories by Bolland and the art gallery round it out nicely. Maybe the funniest detail is that they do the big three credits fadeout style with an image next to a bio and Alan Moore's is the Joker standing in the rain looking miserable which feels like a petty joke if ever there was one.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the book and don't have a previous ritzy edition, it's worth the $50 in a Special Edition sort of way.

In the past, J’onn has been too perfect. One of the reasons people have not connected to him is that he was a perfect upright cop on Mars, and yes, his family died but it was no fault of his own, and then he came to Earth and he was perfect. Our favorite characters, that’s not them, you know? Spider-Man let the burglar go. Bruce Wayne was too afraid to save his family. This book gives J’onn that moment, and that’s the keystone as to why this book will be, is, the Martian Manhunter story, because we finally know the why. Why he strives to be so good on Earth, why he has this journey, because he’s never really had one before. All of our favorite characters overcome their faults, and we hope he’s going to do it here, but he has to have them first.”

Steve Orlando's take, from the Hollywood Reporter on the launch.

I think this is a really bad take but his comics tend to be good so I'll see how it goes.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:39 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Steve Orlando's take, from the Hollywood Reporter on the launch.

Bruce Wayne was too afraid to save his family.

I think this is a really bad take but his comics tend to be good so I'll see how it goes.

Steve has some wild expectations for 10 year boys.  Batman's issues has nothing to do with fear.

• Like 3