DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dark Victory is fine as a story, although it's where you begin to realize Loeb really only has one idea for Batman. But it's also 14 issue of Tim Sale drawing Batman and that is more than worth the money.

That's the main reason I haven't read Dark Victory yet. I've read two stories already with Bats against his rogues gallery by Loeb. I really rate The Long Halloween but Hush, oof. If you want to read a Hush story, Heart of Hush it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I like Hush. I thought Loeb made better use of the rogues gallery there.

I don't mind Hush, I think it's perfectly fine in that "comics as a summer blockbuster" mold, but I do think it's the least of his three "Batman runs through the rogues gallery while solving a mystery in a year long arc" and it gets a little too much that he literally did it three times.

Plus, while I like Jim Lee, he's no Tim Sale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't mind Hush, I think it's perfectly fine in that "comics as a summer blockbuster" mold, but I do think it's the least of his three "Batman runs through the rogues gallery while solving a mystery in a year long arc" and it gets a little too much that he literally did it three times.

Plus, while I like Jim Lee, he's no Tim Sale.

Oh I think Hush is the least of three for sure. i just feel like that Loeb did a few things better in it. I also like the reveal of mastermind at the end, but I'm also just fond of that character. Also its weird, but Sale never did a huge amount for me.

• Like 1

I really thought there was no way he was going to do something so obvious and hackneyed as actually having Elliot be Hush, so I guess I was surprised, but not in a good way.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Also its weird, but Sale never did a huge amount for me.

ky1zqks2bfuz.gif

Lee is easily my least favorite major Batman artist. For me its a tie between Adams and Aparo. As far as Batman v. Entier Rogues Gallery goes, my personal fave is Batman 400 or Tec 526 (which is the last time they wrote Killer Croc as somethign more than dumb hired muscle)

James

Thats what the ... is for. :)

i was trying to do eras in my head quickly. Id be tempted to put Dick Dillin in there just for all the JLA stories he drew involving Batman. 

i was also trying not to include folks with just one big thing and not a lot else, like McKean with Arkham Asylum.

Adams always struck me as the definitive Batman artist in the same way that Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is the definitive Superman.

But about the only thing that keeps Tim Sale from being my favorite penciler ever, period, is the relative lack of output.

• Like 1

Is the Cap:White book the last "regular" book he has done this decade? And that years to finish. 

Sale did one of the first sketches i ever got at SD, a Scarecrow. Back then, he was part of the Wagner Mafia tables in artists alley. Matt did a Hunter Rose at the same time. 

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is the Cap:White book the last "regular" book he has done this decade? And that years to finish. 

I think it's the only regular book he's done this decade.

He already wasn't extremely prolific before he got the Heroes gig. Since then, though, he's been all but invisible, even years after Heroes ended.

BTW, Batman by Loeb & Sale omnibus collecting Haunted Knight, Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Catwoman When in Rome out next week I think, and Marvel Knights Yellow, Blue, Gray & White omnibus out from Marvel in December.

I probably won't buy either because I bought the Yellow, Blue and Gray deluxe edition and Cap White deluxe edition awhile back, and I own all the Batman stuff in Absolute, but even at a combined $225 cover price, I'd recommend both (though I'd also recommend buying them from instock for a lot less)

On 8/30/2018 at 11:55 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Adams always struck me as the definitive Batman artist in the same way that Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is the definitive Superman.

You sure do spell "Curt Swan" an odd way Brian

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Was Final Crisis supposed to make any sense? I read the collected issues and wow, what a mess...

i read the single issues as they came out and was a bit confused.

i re-read them all when #7 came out and it helped, but still didn't make a whole lot of sense.

a few years later, i re-re-read the series, this time with all of the tie-ins and i thought it was pretty great. i wouldn't call this a recommendation, per se, but it worked for me.