DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

1 hour ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Why not rerelease the Jeff Smith version instead?

They probably will.  But while Smith did a really enjoyable 21st Century kids' comic, there's an argument for making the source material available for the hardcores and weirdos.  MSE is a foundational text, one of the things that defined "comics" as we know them in the 21st century.  Disney and Warner both reissue their cartoons from the same era with high-profile scholars and celebrities talking about context, and why the stereotypes employed in the films are wrong.  They should do the same for the MSE reprint rather than refusing to re-issue one of the most important works in the medium.

I get why they didn't, I'm just really surprised it got this close. 

It's the same discussion as the thread @OSJ started. If you've never seen the example panels, it's really the most vile, racist shit that you'd expect from World War II era media, but it's such a foundational text to so many things modern comics still do.

Rebirth reviews:

Adventures of the Super Sons #1 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy battle a Superman monument and are surprised by the arrival of kids as villains of Joker Jr., Lex Luthor etc. This was a great issue, so glad to get a 12-issue maxi-series after Super Sons ended. As ever the highlight is the interactions between the Super Sons with Damian reluctantly asking for Jon’s help fighting the Superman statue and Damian “accidently” using it on Jon when breaking the control mechanism. A fun book as Super Sons was minus the bad Super Sons of Tomorrow crossover.

• Like 1

Catching up on comics from the last few months. I just finished Tynion's Detective run. I loved how it ended with Steph getting a big moment and the revelation of the pre-Flashpoint timeline to her and Cass. I dug where it ended for everyone though I wish there had been a bit more detail on JPV. This was a great run all in all.

Up to #985 on Detective. Moreci's one and done felt like a waste of Blackfire.  It wasn't bad per say, Deacon Blackfire just doesn't feel like a villain who should be used in such a small manner. Hill's run if off to a solid start. I like Black Lightning's use so far. Kind of iffy on Barbara. She is too old and separated form the family usually for her benching to make any sense whatsoever.

Just read the Dark Days one shots via Road to Metal. I skipped the non Dark Days stuff since I've read it all before and some of it w/o context would be annoying since its been some years. Overall I dug the story. It plays out as a nice big mystery leading something big though you aren't quite sure what. I do like how they tie so much in to stuff from Snyder's New 52 work and the Pre-Flashpoint timeline. Looking forward to checking out Metal whenever that arrives at the library.

HIC_Cv2_var_Ryan_Sook_5b7c61d334fd16.884

Looks like Wonder Woman snapping Maxwell Lords neck and her old costume are back in. And the Oval Batman look. Still, the brother eye parts and Ted dying in Infinte Crisis might never happened at all. Nor did Jean replacing Batman.

Started reading Metal. I'm actually digging it so far. I like how King has connected the big Batman stories he did in his run along with Final Crisis. I think I just hit the point where I might want to check out Resistance and Dark Knights Rising before continuing.

Dark Victory is fine as a story, although it's where you begin to realize Loeb really only has one idea for Batman. But it's also 14 issue of Tim Sale drawing Batman and that is more than worth the money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1