DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm not too enthusiastic for Morrison on GL.  Creative reboots where the character flies off into space/another dimension/the Microverse/whatever rarely work for me, and don't usually sell that well - usually because the writer jettisons the entire supporting cast and rogues gallery and tries to tell stories with an entirely new cast and villains who often aren't that interesting.  Granted, most of the writers trying that don't have Morrison's talent and the GL mythos lends itself to space stories.  Still, I can imagine Morrison compensating for the lack of recognizable faces by going all grand guignol weird and telling stories about Hal's new girl-friend, the ominsexual from Persei Omicron VIII who pitches softball like a man.

Then again, DC probably doesn't care if I'm enthusiastic or not.  I'm going to buy the book - probably twice (trades and at least some of the single issues).  Who needs customer satisfaction when Morrison's name is get me to buy?

The WWE model. If people are going to buy stuff regardless of its quality, why improve it? 

The strength of the direct market is inertia buying. 

(Of course, a Grant GL could be great fun, mind you)

26 minutes ago, Player One said:

I'm not too enthusiastic for Morrison on GL.  Creative reboots where the character flies off into space/another dimension/the Microverse/whatever rarely work for me, and don't usually sell that well - usually because the writer jettisons the entire supporting cast and rogues gallery and tries to tell stories with an entirely new cast and villains who often aren't that interesting.  Granted, most of the writers trying that don't have Morrison's talent and the GL mythos lends itself to space stories.  Still, I can imagine Morrison compensating for the lack of recognizable faces by going all grand guignol weird and telling stories about Hal's new girl-friend, the ominsexual from Persei Omicron VIII who pitches softball like a man.

In fairness, Hal's book has been the Corps book for a while now.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The WWE model. If people are going to buy stuff regardless of its quality, why improve it? 

The strength of the direct market is inertia buying. 

(Of course, a Grant GL could be great fun, mind you)

Ah, why can't we have books as good as Swamp Thing, Starman, and Sandman Mystery Theatre?

• Sad 1

Yeah, gun Batman is from the Dark Multiverse. A universe where he got Joe Chill's gun and killed him with it, Year Two style. He'll be appearing in a Batman Who Laughs mini by Snyder and Jock.

Also as an aside: @D.Z could you please spoiler large images in the main discussion threads? They really mess up the page on mobile.

• Like 1

Liking Peter J. Tomasi on Detective Comics and the return of the Batsuit as seen in Batman: Hush. Be nice to see Tomasi bring back Goliath and Maya from his frequent collaborator, Patrick Gleason's Robin: Son of Batman work.