DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 7/4/2018 at 6:01 PM, Eivion said:

I never finished it, but I recall liking the first volume. Tell how you feel about it by the end of the whole thing.

Final update: Closing run is great. I realized that a lot of what I like about it is that it has the best elements of a Justice League book. Heavy focus on characters less likely to carry their own books plus wrapup from other runs (very heavily with Lemire in particular with his Frankenstein and Justice League Dark runs seeing a lot of play). Basically everything in the home stretch is great...until the last issue, which really feels like a rug pull just for the sake of trying to launch the Batman Beyond series that followed. Still...it's not bad enough to negate all the fun stuff beforehand. Don't go in expecting a classic, but if you want a fun long form ride featuring a lot of B-D list heroes and smart use of Batman and Superman, read it for sure.

Moreover, I'd probably put it as DC's second best long form weekly/biweekly book, behind 52. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 9:43 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Better than Generation Lost?

I didn't like Gen Lost as much as most did, but it would be a close third and I can easily see others going the other way. At least the Future's End cliffhangers got picked up on though. But yeah, it has a lot of big moments and great ideas that I think carry it above Gen Lost.

On 7/7/2018 at 9:46 PM, odessasteps said:

Off the top of my head, I'd be tempted to put Action Comics Weekly ahead of Countdown or Brightest Day or the like. 

I don't know if I'd count it given the anthology format. Also I wish anthologies still sold because a book like that would be great in this climate.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:41 PM, Eivion said:

Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Dial H, and Frankenstein were all pretty great as well. Johns's Aquaman was good stuff as well.

I enjoyed All-Star Western quite a bit, too.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:07 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I am firmly on the "Snyder's Batman is hella overrated" bandwagon.

I thought there were some really good stories, like the Court of Owls, Zero Year, and the Gordon as Batman stories.  But ye Gods, the Joker stories were all actively terrible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

I enjoyed All-Star Western quite a bit, too.

I thought there were some really good stories, like the Court of Owls, Zero Year, and the Gordon as Batman stories.  But ye Gods, the Joker stories were all actively terrible.

Can't believe I forgot about All Star. I loved that book.

Yeah I don't think Snyder ever had a good handle on Joker.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I really fucking hated his revamp of Freeze as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Yeah, that story was a dumpster fire. They took away all the pathos from Freeze's origin story and turned him into a neckbeard incel. And that scene where Freeze has the accident in the lab... where he throws a fucking office chair clear across the room, where it destroys the chemical tank and causes an explosion... Ugh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I thought the story was solidly written. It just took away or twisted all the interesting parts of Freeze added by Dini and the animated series away. The thing is its not just a Snyder issue. So many writers love Freeze, but seem to realize they can't really hit the height BTAS did so they always seem to try to do something different with him that doesn't really work.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

But yeah, the Joker stuff was the actively terrible parts I was talking about. That and Spore.

I'm a fan of Scott Snyder but his redo of Mr. Freeze is fucking awful and the worst thing he's ever written.

• Like 1

Batman #50. This volume reaches the 50 mark by the wedding of Batman and Catwoman. The story has its share of hits and misses and I’ve said the same about Tom King on Batman.

Hits.

Getting past Batman artists to draw a pinup and putting the artists surname in the bottom left corner. I’d like to single out Becky Cloonan, Jason Fabok, Rafael Albuquerque and Greg Capullo’s for praise.

The interactions between Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth are touching.

Some of the box narrations from Batman to Catwoman and vice versa are good…

Misses.

…Most aren’t the eyes metaphor goes on too long.

The wedding doesn’t happen. I wasn’t sure whether it should with what Catwoman is. I do (pun intended) know it would set a new paradigm for both characters but that something different is same old.

A twist last page sees Bane as the instigator and Psycho Pirate, Gotham Girl and FLASHPOINT BATMAN there. What the fuck? How do you explain that twist?

DC spoiling the book the way they did.

The long build towards this including preludes/one-shots to swerve turn comic book readers and shops.

Why would people burned by this want to carry on and see where this goes?

I’m interested in seeing how the fallout from the comic book community affects this book and Catwoman’s solo going forward.

Bought all 4 of the Walmart Exclusive DC Giants. And read 2 and 3/4th of one so far.

Batman-First story is the new story. It is good,only 2 parts,and I want to get the next issue to read the end of this story. Second story was Hush Chapter 1. Fuck Hush. It reads like something a bored fanboy would write in Jr High study hall. Plus it has that horrible Jim Lee art. Third story was Nightwing #1,I think from New52,was good and makes me want to read the next installment. Final story was Harley Quinn #1,I think from last year,and it was shit. Good art but I hate how Harley is in the Proper DC universe.

Justice League-First story is a new Wonder Woman story. And it is damn good. Makes me want to grab the next issue. Second story was JLA #1 from Geoff Johns. Not a Johns fan and the Lee artwork is bad. Third story is Flash #1,I assume from new 52,which is damn good and made me go track down a trade of this series. Last story is Aquaman#1 by Johns. Shocked at how good it is. 

Teen Titans-First story I think is the new story. Neat idea but would have rather gotten more pages. Second story is Teen Titans #1,again I assume New 52 era,was decent but wish it was longer. Third story is  a Super Sons story,never read anything with them before. And enjoyed this! Haven't read the final story yet.

So far I am gonna buy the above 3 next month. Not sure about Superman cause I am not a fan of him.

• Like 1

More comprehensive Flash spoilers for those who want the cliff's notes on big beats and implications but don't want to read:

- The Strength Force and Sage Force are tied to the Still Force from Snyder's Justice League.

- Hypertime is fucked. Implied to be because of the Source Wall breach but unresolved.

- Wally is definitively established as being significantly faster than Barry and the better Flash. Ends up beating Zoom on his own by invoking his temporal seizures in Hypertime and breaking Zoom's connection to all three Forces (as well as curing himself).

- Wallace saves Iris and Commander Cold from the destroyed 25th century and brings them back to the present.

- The Speed Force is detached from Hypertime, meaning the Flashes can't time travel even with the use of Cosmic Treadmill and such.

- Zoom has disappeared. Wally is searching for him in order to find a way to save his kids. Wallace's distrust of Barry and Wally is worsened after being left to die (basically) in the future. Commander Cold is stuck in the present.

- BART IS BACK! As Impulse for some reason! But yeah, Wally shook him loose from the Speed Force but no one knows yet.

- The 25th century is restored. The Renegades are possibly killed by a villain Thawne captured named Crisis. So I'd guess the time travel break is temporary.

In general I liked Flash War well enough but more than anything else I'm excited to see where it goes for the Flash family.

6 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

G. Willow Wilson and Cary Nord on Wonder Woman from #58 in November. That is a hell of a team.

I was gonna pick up Orlando's fill-in arc with Aztek already, this gives me a reason to stick around longer.