DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

7 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Been reading Future's End after nabbing it on sale for cheap months ago and I'm pissed because I really like it. 

I never finished it, but I recall liking the first volume. Tell how you feel about it by the end of the whole thing.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:32 PM, Player One said:
  Hide contents

Well, as I said, I thought either something would happen to cancel the wedding, or it would go through but DC would immediately do a soft reboot to undo it somehow.  I just wish they  hadn't done "a very special issue of Batman" just to do a false finish using a really worn out trope.

I don't think there's really been a cleverly handled super-hero wedding since Hank & Jan tied the knot while he was in his Yellowjacket identity.

I was sort of hoping that now that Dick Grayson is of legal age, and Gotham City is in New York State, which is rather progressive we would actually get the wedding that DC has been subtly teasing for over sixty years...

Lines Have Been Crossed.

• Haha 1

Ok, that's not something I expected to see tonite.  Bruce's cad womanizer routine suddenly makes so much sense,

Lol, along those lines, when DC was teasing a gay Green Lantern and it turned out to be Alan Scott, I was kinda hoping it would be Hal.  Lol, it would explain some many things about his commitment issues.

18 hours ago, Player One said:

Ok, that's not something I expected to see tonite.  Bruce's cad womanizer routine suddenly makes so much sense,

Lol, along those lines, when DC was teasing a gay Green Lantern and it turned out to be Alan Scott, I was kinda hoping it would be Hal.  Lol, it would explain some many things about his commitment issues.

Hal's commitment issues/Alan's fashion sens; six of one/half dozen of the other...

Seriously, I was delighted by the retconning of Alan Scott to not only be gay, but quietly understood to be the most powerful JSA member, (well,actually a toss-up as Dr. Fate and Superman have to be in the discussion, though Supes is visibly aging and Fate suffers from having to re-learn who he is as new hosts take over the role... 

46 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I was fine with Alan being gay (it's not a retcon if it's a completely new character, Johnathan.) until his partner was killed in THE FIRST ISSUE of Earth 2.

It was like "you know how Kyle's origin defined Women in Refrigerators? Let's see if the new Alan origin can do the same for bury your gays!"

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I was fine with Alan being gay (it's not a retcon if it's a completely new character, Johnathan.) until his partner was killed in THE FIRST ISSUE of Earth 2.

Yeah, that bit of writing was Russo-ific in its badness and laziness. They had a chance to do something interesting and innovative with a ton of flash-back stories that practically write themselves (we know that Alan ages very slowly as a result of the power ring, so you have the 1950s on, viewed through the eyes of a gay super-hero, who might just be the most powerful entity in the DC Universel. Good lord, you have the HUAC witch-hunt,  Viet-nam, Stonewall, the list goes on and on, but DC apparently lacked the balls to do anything like that. 

It's a shame, because on one hand good writing and character development took some of the driest, most uninteresting characters in comics and produced some classics... Sandman, Starman (all incarnations were interesting), Dr. Fate, Hawkgirl, even Hourman as thrill-junkie was an interesting take on what had previously just been a gimmick.) What they could have done with Alan Scott... 

They could have gone further with the JSA reveals. Hourman as the "One Hour Man" screams bisexual icon. 

More serious note, who's the artist on that Batman x Nightwing piece because it's genuinely great outside of Bruce being a little stilted.

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

I never finished it, but I recall liking the first volume. Tell how you feel about it by the end of the whole thing.

I'm not done but I'm well into the last volume (plus some of the one-shots). It's messy and wild and focuses on a lot of C and D list heroes while also having the coolest "No but you've never fought the REAL Braniac" retcon that I've seen. One of the cooler takes on Mr. Terrific too, even if it's a huge divergence from his normal characterization. Everything about it SHOULDN'T work. It's slamming these really drastically different plot points together and will have these long diversions into stuff that doesn't seem related to the main plot at all and has stuff like "Cyborg Batman/Joker OMAC fusion with He-Man gimmick style spinning heads" and Fifty Sue and weird overly edgy stuff and yet...it works? It never feels like it's trying too hard and honestly just feels like a bunch of talented creators having fun doing weird stuff with some of the less used corners of the DCU. 

Honestly if the New 52 Fatigue wasn't SO BAD around this time, causing people to skip it entirely en masse, I think it'd be held in pretty good regard.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OSJ said:

I don't think there's really been a cleverly handled super-hero wedding since Hank & Jan tied the knot while he was in his Yellowjacket identity.

I was sort of hoping that now that Dick Grayson is of legal age, and Gotham City is in New York State, which is rather progressive we would actually get the wedding that DC has been subtly teasing for over sixty years...

Lines Have Been Crossed.

Dr. Frederick Wertham was right!

17 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

They could have gone further with the JSA reveals. Hourman as the "One Hour Man" screams bisexual icon. 

More serious note, who's the artist on that Batman x Nightwing piece because it's genuinely great outside of Bruce being a little stilted.

I'm not done but I'm well into the last volume (plus some of the one-shots). It's messy and wild and focuses on a lot of C and D list heroes while also having the coolest "No but you've never fought the REAL Braniac" retcon that I've seen. One of the cooler takes on Mr. Terrific too, even if it's a huge divergence from his normal characterization. Everything about it SHOULDN'T work. It's slamming these really drastically different plot points together and will have these long diversions into stuff that doesn't seem related to the main plot at all and has stuff like "Cyborg Batman/Joker OMAC fusion with He-Man gimmick style spinning heads" and Fifty Sue and weird overly edgy stuff and yet...it works? It never feels like it's trying too hard and honestly just feels like a bunch of talented creators having fun doing weird stuff with some of the less used corners of the DCU. 

Honestly if the New 52 Fatigue wasn't SO BAD around this time, causing people to skip it entirely en masse, I think it'd be held in pretty good regard.

That sounds about right from what I got from the first volume. Glad it holds up in that regard. I should really go through the whole thing at some point.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

On the whole, I'm fine with having skipped almost all of nu52 .

There's some really good stuff, but a lot of feels like it would've been way better as an ooc elseworlds type thing (Morrison's Action, the Wonder Woman run) or didn't need the big reboot (Batman Inc, the end of Johns big GL run)

And it just didn't hold together well as a line. Plus you had out and out disasters like Teen Titans, Superboy, the Legion...

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's some really good stuff, but a lot of feels like it would've been way better as an ooc elseworlds type thing (Morrison's Action, the Wonder Woman run) or didn't need the big reboot (Batman Inc, the end of Johns big GL run)

And it just didn't hold together well as a line. Plus you had out and out disasters like Teen Titans, Superboy, the Legion...

Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Dial H, and Frankenstein were all pretty great as well. Johns's Aquaman was good stuff as well.

• Like 1

I didn't think most of it was bad (there were some parts here and there that I do feel were actively bad) but it was never anything above pretty good in my mind.

Which is a shame, because Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham were fantastic before Flashpoint.

I really like Snyder's Batman but also, I got the Batman by Morrison vol. 1 omnibus yesterday and spent like an hour or two just skim reading it and fussing over my favourite bits and so far Snyder hasn't provoked that response barring Zero Year. Which doesn't make his run BAD but it definitely suffers in comparison from what preceded it.

• Like 1

I really need to finish up Morrison's run. I only have the second half of Batman Incorporated to finish.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Which is a shame, because Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham were fantastic before Flashpoint.

I kind of wonder if long run with Dick in the cowl by Snyder wouldn't have turned out better.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, odessasteps said:

On the whole, I'm fine with having skipped almost all of nu52 .

I enjoyed Batman, Incorportated from Grant Morrison/Chris Burnham, Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo on Batman, Peter J. Tomasi/Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin after the rough start. Batman books in DC Rebirth taken a sizeable drop in quality compared to the New 52 IMO.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:34 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I didn't think most of it was bad (there were some parts here and there that I do feel were actively bad) but it was never anything above pretty good in my mind.

Batman: The Black Mirror is excellent. Snyder's best Batman book and one of the best in Batman's nearly 80 year history. I right enjoyed Gates of Gotham as well getting more backstory to Gotham City's past and more Dick Bats.

21 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I really like Snyder's Batman but also, I got the Batman by Morrison vol. 1 omnibus yesterday and spent like an hour or two just skim reading it and fussing over my favourite bits and so far Snyder hasn't provoked that response barring Zero Year. Which doesn't make his run BAD but it definitely suffers in comparison from what preceded it.

Yeah, I really like Scott Snyder's Batman run in the New 52 but Grant Morrison's squashes it big time. My favourite ever comic book run.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

I really need to finish up Morrison's run. I only have the second half of Batman Incorporated to finish.

I kind of wonder if long run with Dick in the cowl by Snyder wouldn't have turned out better.

1. You must.

2. That might be true going by the Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham with Dick Grayson's Batman. I miss the era of Dick Grayson as Batman thanks to Morrison's Batman and Robin (the highlight of Morrison's tenure) and those Snyder books already mentioned.