DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Spoiler

If I did not know that Catwoman was getting her own book again, I’d have said it was good money that the Joker would kill her, possibly Tracey Bond style after the ceremony on the way to the honeymoon. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If I did not know that Catwoman was getting her own book again, I’d have said it was good money that the Joker would kill her, possibly Tracey Bond style after the ceremony on the way to the honeymoon. 

Spoiler

I think that would have been a terrific story idea - except it seems kinda fridgy to kill off one of the GOAT female comics characters just to keep Batman broody. 

The end of OHMSS is the only time James Bond made me cry. 

56 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:
  Hide contents

Not a bit surprised at that result. Some status quos just aren't going to be allowed to be shifted. 

Still, if all we got out of it was the special with the Joker taking over that guy's house while waiting for a wedding invitation, then it was worth it. :)

Spoiler

Well, as I said, I thought either something would happen to cancel the wedding, or it would go through but DC would immediately do a soft reboot to undo it somehow.  I just wish they  hadn't done "a very special issue of Batman" just to do a false finish using a really worn out trope.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Player One said:

How is Mister Miracle?  I trade-wait almost everything these days.  Trade doesn't come out till November.

It's pretty damn great.  Miles better than Batman, although I think Vision is better.

As a retailer, I'm pretty pissed about DC spoiling the book three fucking days early, when my store is doing the midnight release for it. (Which is a stupid concept for a comic book.  A video game midnight release makes sense, at least.) Thankfully, we didn't fall for the exclusive cover scam, which would require us to have ordered way more copies than we can sell for a fucking non-event. 

And don't believe the "twist ending that makes up for the non-wedding" bullshit DC is pushing.  I've seen the issue, and it's not very interesting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Is the twist that 

Reveal hidden contents

Bane got Holly to convince Selina to call off the wedding?

Spoiler

Yeah, pretty much, though it isn't explicitly stated. You can also infer that Bane and the rest of the rogues gallery now know that Bruce is Batman; but again, it's all pretty poorly executed for something that is supposed to be a big deal.

• Like 1

held off from reading the spoiler until late last night......yeah i'm passing on this one. i've only been marginally following King's run, but this had my attention. emphasis on the past tense.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I read about 25 issues of Rebirth Batman, Detective, and Nightwing - via the first Deluxe volumes on Hoopla. 

There was some good stuff, especially the artwork. And I enjoyed the Raptor storyline with Dick, though I don't know how I feel about the idea that he has a dark side like Bruce's. In one sense, you can't grow up that way without absorbing the pessimism. In another, Grayson has always been a figure of light. It was like when they made Mary Marvel evil just because it had never been done. 

The Monster Men story was atrocious. I ended up skimming the second half of that. Also, while it had neat moments and great art, the Batman's Suicide Squad story was annoying. (esp Jewelee, who is obviously just a stand in for Harley)

The loss of Oracle in Nu52 means that Alfred has to take that role, and I don't like it. I know that's what Snyder did with Irons, and maybe they're trying to be consistent. But it's yet another demonstration of how they "killed off" a great character to make her into yet another sassy young Batgirl - when it's obvious that they needed an Oracle character. 

Knowing as I do that The Colony plot and the Selina/Bruce romance stuff is still going on 30 issues later gives me tiredhead. 

41 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

By the by, Tom King says this is the only the halfway point of his 100 issue epic Batman/Catwoman love story.

Who will trust Tom King/DC and get invested into it with how it's gone down?

57 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

By the by, Tom King says this is the only the halfway point of his 100 issue epic Batman/Catwoman love story.

If there are actually more plans then that does explain the wedding ending though it would have probably been smarter to push the wedding a little less hard.

• Like 1

I wasn't spoiled, save for the fact there was a spoiler. It didn't feel like a big deal. It didn't really feel true to the story they were telling for a ton of issues either, none of it. Why have two issues with Clark and Lois, for instance, if that wasn't going to play in at all? I think they were actually smart to spoil it. Better than to let people go into that issue blind. It's that underwhelming. I guess the good thing about there being 50 issues left is that they can't reboot the whole line again for a few years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hide contents

Who will trust Tom King/DC and get invested into it with how it's gone down?

Eh, I'll trust King.  DC Editorial.... not so much.

I dig King as a writer, but Batman has been very hit and miss so far.  I''m probably on board for another 50 issues, but it's not my favorite book by any means and King is basically an automatic buy for me based on his other work more than Batman.

• Like 1

Had chat with a shop owner today about the spoiler. He said he didn’t know how it would impact him personally, but he felt bad for stores that went big on it. He also wondered how people will order in the future for things like that and if they would trust DC or Marvel as applicable not to do something similar. 

Meanwhile, they had a crap ton of old magazines just acquired and I got a Who-themed issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland. 

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The twist in the kitty/peter wedding issue? 

Was that leaked by Marvel to the press or was that Rich spoiling it? 

It was Rich spoiling it.  I don't remember any of the other mainstream comic sites spoiling the comic until it actually came out.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:26 PM, Captain Kronos said:

74453873_capture1.jpg 74453874_capture2.jpg

Okay, it's a new month. Hoopla has these three trades for METAL. 

1. Should I read them?

2. Given the fact I only get 10 books a month, do I need all three?

ETA: I decided to use my Hoopla slots this month to catch up on a bunch of current Batman, Flash, Detective, and Nightwing. Love those Deluxe editions, with 12-15 issues!

The question still remains, though: Does one only need to read the main Metal series, or are the other two books worth including?

Dark Days does a lot of table setting and I'd recommend it. The problem with the Dark Knights Rising and Resistance trades is that they take place mostly between issues of Metal. Mostly added flavour stuff but one of those cases where stuff landed better in serialized order and the ideal trade read is more trouble than it's worth.

Been reading Future's End after nabbing it on sale for cheap months ago and I'm pissed because I really like it.

• Like 2