DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

was never a fan of the Burnside costume/concept, so i am happy to see that go.

the new costume isn't perfect (too much uncovered cranium) but i like the callback to Batgirl Year One.  this will probably get me to pick up the series again.

Working through the pile of shame, read both Batman/Shadow volumes as well as Dark Night: A True Batman Story today.

The Batman/Shadow trades are great, feeling huge in a way that still fits pretty tidily into canon. It helps that Snyder was the lead on the first and Steve Orlando is probably DC's answer to Al Ewing. Highly recommend both.

Dark Night is a really interesting book. It's messy in the way a conversation is but extremely well told, even if it lingers a bit much on younger Paul Dini being sad he isn't getting laid.

Also it makes me really wish the episode he plotted of Batman TAS featuring Dream and Death of the Endless got made. Even as a cartoon or comic now honestly.

So DC is launching a Walmart exclusive line of 100 page books, each featuring one original and three reprint stories each month. Superman, Batman, Justice League of America and Teen Titans. $4.99 cover (so, like, what, fifteen bucks for Canadians like Dragon)

Bendis is going to do a twelve part Batman story starting in Batman Giant #3. Books start coming out next month.

I'm pumped for this. I get a lot of customers looking for stuff for their kids and dropping $5 USD for 25-30 pages stings. Happy to direct them to Wal Mart for nice fat volumes for a reasonable price for the kids. 

Won't really have much of an effect on the regulars. Be curious how many of them end up dropping the $5/issue for 12 pages of new content. I'll probably end up getting at least the Superman and Batman ones but I like weird experiments like this and getting to read some classic stuff with glossy nice magazine sized art appeals to me.

Some retailers are pissy because it's Wal Mart exclusive and I'll be a little grumpy if none of the new stories hit trade eventually, but this industry has been stuck trying to broaden its market by appealing within that same market. Initiatives like this, Superhero Girls, Ink, and Zoom...DC is making moves that are smart for the diversification and long term health of the brand and I welcome it.

Looks like the bulk of the reprints for the 1st round will be Nu52 #1s - though I did see the Teen Titans book will have the 2003 Johns #1 included. 

Are these going to be digest sized?

It sounds like a project worth supporting. 

Hard to imagine the new material won't be collected.

And, based on past experience, some stores will go buy them and then resell in their own shops, either as new or back issues. During the lean years in the 90s, we occasionally bought books off the newsstand that were underpinned and could not get reorders from diamond or heroes world (shudder). Things like Connor Hawke era Green Arrow. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Looks like the bulk of the reprints for the 1st round will be Nu52 #1s - though I did see the Teen Titans book will have the 2003 Johns #1 included. 

Are these going to be digest sized?

It sounds like a project worth supporting. 

Pretty sure it's magazine sized. Which is great, because as I mentioned the art should look great at that size. 

Andy Kubert and Tom King doing a Superman story basically locks me in to pay my stupid Canadian dollars for this.

• Like 1

I am curious if the reprint material will be all issue one/chapter one type stuff (followed by an ad for the trade) or if it'll actually print whole stories over the course of several months.

More importantly, for people who aren't acclimated to comic prices, $5 for 100 pages of story still feels like a value price. Even if it doesn't lead to more monthly readers it's a gateway to trades as well as stuff like the toys and merch. Honestly even if they only break even on the book itself it'll be worth it as an outreach thing.

• Like 1

I read the first issues of The Terrifics, Damage, Brimstone, and the one about the assassin mom. (and I intend to get around the Challengers) Frankly, I enjoyed them all. Finances are a bit tight for all comics purchases right now, but I intend to go back and pick up more on comixology. 

Plus the new Superman books. And upcoming Vertigo titles. 

Not a bad time to be a DC fan - if only I could afford to keep up with all the monthly books. 

I haven't read the second issue yet, but honestly Challengers felt like less than you'd expect from Snyder and Kubert. Story hadn't entirely cooked and the art felt rushed. Hoping it improves from there. 

Most of the New Age of Heroes comics fall into that 'good-not-great' zone where I'll probably grab the trade but can't bother with the month to month. The Terrifics and The Unexpected are the big exceptions.

I feel bad for leaning so heavily on Hoopla for DC trades (and Image and Dark Horse), but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. It's been a great way to keep up with some Rebirth titles, those 75th anniversary books, and the expensive Batman collections. 

Just finished SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER

6 stars. Great art and story. Issue 2 had me in tears throughout. The final page of the trade made me cheer out loud.

This is the kind of book that makes you remember why you love superhero comics.  ?

11 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Just finished SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER

6 stars. Great art and story. Issue 2 had me in tears throughout. The final page of the trade made me cheer out loud.

This is the kind of book that makes you remember why you love superhero comics.  ?

I could have done without

The sudden death at the end of the first issue. Kind of over motivational tragedy as a plot driver, honestly.

Otherwise I thought it was terrific.

6 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I could have done without

It's a good point, thought it was well done. Much as love comics, I don't usually get too emotionally involved in sad events. But as I mentioned, that one had me going.