DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I had zero idea that DC finally is making an honest effort to collect post-ZH LSH under the Legionnaires name. Today I ordered the first TPB (which has everything in the old "Beginning of Tomorrow" volume and more) and will be snagging v2 on Wed. That is maybe my second favorite DC book of the 90s after Flash, and while I read everything from the end of Emerald Vi to the end of that universe, the lack of collections means I have a gap on everything from "Beginning of Tomorrow" through LSH v4 #80.

Catwoman's getting a new costume:

5.jpg

What's with the bare armpits?

Darwyn Cooke's costume has stayed for years and for good reason. When I think of Catwoman costumes, it's that design first followed by Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Returns.

Rebirth reviews:

Shame the ongoing Super Sons is cancelled ending with #16. It’s a funny series I’ve enjoyed the majority of thanks to the interaction between Damian Wayne/Robin and Jon Kent/Superboy. I do like the recent announcement of a 12 issue miniseries written by the same writer, Peter J Tomasi called the Adventures of the Super Sons. I’ll be getting that on my pull list.

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

When I think of Catwoman costumes, it's [Darwyn Cooke's] design first followed by Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Returns.

those are my three as well, but in the opposite order.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

I like DeConnick a lot, but Abnett's run on Aquaman right now is both a character and creator high point I think. And I say that as a huge fan of Abnett's work. It's REALLY good, balancing fantasy, political drama, and super-heroics pretty much perfectly. High recommendation on it.

I took a look at this on your rec and I've been surprised how much I've enjoyed it. Granted, the end to Deluge was pretty funny, where after ten issues setting up an impossible political situation, Arthur gets out of it by finding people to punch and punching them. 

I've decided to catch up on Aquaman, not Flash. Don't look at me. I will say that Barry, as written in No Justice, is completely indistinguishable to me from any other character. He's just spouting random quips. There's nothing in there that makes me think Barry. I'd be more apt to think it was Justice League cartoon Flash. Also, I know this happens every few years, but Marvel is basically telling the exact same story as DC right now with the Final Host/Giants from Beyond the Source Wall.

47 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I've decided to catch up on Aquaman, not Flash. Don't look at me. I will say that Barry, as written in No Justice, is completely indistinguishable to me from any other character. He's just spouting random quips. There's nothing in there that makes me think Barry. I'd be more apt to think it was Justice League cartoon Flash. Also, I know this happens every few years, but Marvel is basically telling the exact same story as DC right now with the Final Host/Giants from Beyond the Source Wall.

I've seen a couple folks point out that Avengers/JLA plot similarity. I guess it helps to only read 1 of them and not knowing. 

Also, this weeks Scooby Doo Team Up is Blue Falcon and Dynomutt with some Miller send ups. 

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I took a look at this on your rec and I've been surprised how much I've enjoyed it. Granted, the end to Deluge was pretty funny, where after ten issues setting up an impossible political situation, Arthur gets out of it by finding people to punch and punching them. 

Glad you're enjoying it. The ending is peak superhero comics in that way but honestly sets up another really great arc. You're having basically the same reaction as I did to the book, honestly.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Will be interested to hear thoughts from Wally-ites about today's Flash. 

I said when I read it a few weeks back that I thought it was big and I know Tom King has said he's dealing with some of the fallout so I'd expect someone to come back from the Speed Force. Hoing this ends with Wally getting the kids and Linda back and...I dunno, retiring? Given the pitch that only one Flash stays in the role at the end.

Really I need Bart back though.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Will be interested to hear thoughts from Wally-ites about today's Flash. 

I will reserve judgment til the end; I'm a little queasy about the various ideas of where this COULD take him but it's a decent start to the story.

I've mostly resolved that the DC I loved most is dead. There's still some DC I read, but nothing captures me like DC did from ZH to Identity Crisis or so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

I've mostly resolved that the DC I loved most is dead. There's still some DC I read, but nothing captures me like DC did from ZH to Identity Crisis or so.

If you change that to “1955 to 1986,” I would agree. :)

• Like 2

For me, it starts a bit before ZH, with the Waid Flash and Death of Superman, et al and continues up to probably GL: Rebirth. Bringing Hal back and establishing him as THE Green Lantern was the real signal that everything was going to move aggressively backwards.

Or maybe when they cancelled PAD's Supergirl so Loeb could being back Kara, but, as much as I love Linda Danvers, I'm sympathetic to Didio's argument that she was really fucking hard to explain to a potential new reader who probably thought Supergirl was Superman's little sister. Kyle, Wally, etc were easy to explain, deeply established, etc etc.

• Like 1

I think more than anything about 90s comics, I miss when Superman was functionally a committee written weekly which gave them a ton of room to give characters like Ron Troupe and Bibbo whole subplots and have Jimmy Olsen running around doing crazy shit. I genuinely cared about the supporting cast for Superman which made the stakes feel high even when Superman himself wasn't in danger. Something like Toyman killing Cat Grant's son and the varied fallout from that or Jimmy thinking he knows Superman's identity putting him in the crosshairs of Intergang or Perry fighting cancer...it all landed with me. Now you get Superman, Lois, John, and MAYBE sometimes Jimmy but everyone else has faded to the background. 

Also, I'm baffled that no one has brought Conduit back. He's the exact type of villain that modern writers LOVE. Has ties to the hero's past, power aims at hero's weakness, solid pathos. Just really something in the model of every big new villain that's been produced from DC in the last decade or so.

• Like 1

Those triangle era Superman books was the first time I became an every issue collector/reader of any comic. Before I got whatever cover caught my eye, read it until the story arc ended, repeat.

On 5/21/2018 at 11:14 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I had zero idea that DC finally is making an honest effort to collect post-ZH LSH under the Legionnaires name. Today I ordered the first TPB (which has everything in the old "Beginning of Tomorrow" volume and more) and will be snagging v2 on Wed. That is maybe my second favorite DC book of the 90s after Flash, and while I read everything from the end of Emerald Vi to the end of that universe, the lack of collections means I have a gap on everything from "Beginning of Tomorrow" through LSH v4 #80.

Following up on this, the first Legionnaires reprint (0 issues thru LSH v4 #68 and Legionnaires #24) is currently six bucks on Kindle and Comixology. Six dollars for 14 issues of some of my all time favorite superhero books. You should get it if you've never read it.

On 5/23/2018 at 5:40 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Glad you're enjoying it. The ending is peak superhero comics in that way but honestly sets up another really great arc. You're having basically the same reaction as I did to the book, honestly.

Then when he solves the pretty dire Dead Water situation by resorting to violence, Mera is there to call him on it. Abnett's pretty canny so I imagine it was intentional.

Rebirth reviews:

Super Sons #16 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy set to free the Justice League from Kid Amazo. One of the best issues of the series showing how Robin/Superboy are now a team compared to how they started out. Great reference to Tower of Babel. Batman collects intel on the JL members to stop them if need be while Superman has their birthdays instead. I like when the Super Sons fathers guest appear. I’ll miss this series for the laughs, it only had a odd misstep. Least there’s the recently announced 12 issue miniseries, the Adventures of the Super Sons to come. I’ll be there.

I thought doing Year One in Absolute format was crazy, but they're topping (lowering it) later this year with Killing Joke. Doing the same thing they did with Year One and printing the whole story twice, with the original and new coloring, plus the handful of bonus features from the Deluxe Edition, and the full script to bulk it up... We're still talking about a 48 page story getting an Absolute. At least it's only 50 bucks.

• Like 1

What are the general thoughts on JLA post Morrison for that particular volume? Been meaning to ask this for probably a good year or two, but just never got around to it. It took a bit for me to get into, but I dug Morrison's run a decent bit by the time it was said and done.