DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm not going to lie. I spent the last three weeks looking at our order, thinking "Shit, we over ordered." then being like "Hopefully there's enough interest in the big one to get us a 60-70% sell through." Now it's been two days and we're at around 70% sell through and it's still selling quick, looking like we might sell out of all covers by FCBD. And by a lot of online accounts and local customer feedback, this isn't isolated. And outside the 'one of every cover' types we ordered in account of, most people are just picking their fave and buying one copy so it's not even like the insane Amazing Spider-man speculator demand from the past couple months. 

That said, it's hard to have a milestone in comics that feels genuinely meaningful anymore so that probably has a lot to do with it. We'll see if Detective Comics #1000 performs as well next year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bleeding Cool has all kinds of runouts for a DC soft relaunch later this year. Grant Morrison on a Green Lantern book is intriguing.

I'm kind of scared and curious about he Morrison on Green Lantern rumor. The DeConnick on Aquaman one just pisses me off since I've quite enjoyed what I've read of Abnett's run and haven't really dug DeConnick story wise from what little I've read from her.

Morrison doing cosmic should work brilliantly.

Other then the crossover with Justice League early in the Nu52, I haven't read a solo Aquaman book since PAD was writing it 25 years ago.

bought my issue of Nightwing today. was confused by the $3.99 price. turns out it is going monthly starting now (as opposed to bi-weekly, which it has been for quite some time). major bummer.

Rebirth reviews:

Super Sons #15 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy are in their HQ in Morrison Bay but get attacked by Kid Amazo. The brief banter between the Super Sons before Kid Amazo’s runin is the highlight of this issue, second to last as it’s cancelled with #16 regrettably.

Action Comics #1000 is made up of 10 stories and some pinups celebrating 80 years of Superman and Action Comics making #1000. The best story is by Peter J. Tomasi/Patrick Gleason running through Superman’s history/what he stands for as he’s trapped by time misuse from Vandal Savage. I’d like to single out Dan Jurgen’s story/art where there’s a ceremony paying thanks to Superman. Wonder Woman’s quote is fitting “We’re fans too, you know. We know that without you, none of us would probably be here.” I want to also praise Richard Donner/Geoff Johns story with Oliver Coipel’s art as Superman catches up with the man whose car he lifts from Action Comics #1 cover.

Brian Michael Bendis tease of his first Superman story is lacking as Supes gets smacked by a new villain wanting to end the Kryptonian plague. I right enjoyed this issue, day it came out I asked my local comic shop to save me a copy. It’s a shame there wasn’t a story made by Grant Morrison.

More previews from Diamond got read.

Man of Steel #1 is good. Very good, even. I didn't like the preview stories in either Action #1000 or DC Nation but this read well. The new big bad has an interesting history and dips cosmic in some cool ways. Most importantly, Bendis writes Superman right. Can't speak too much to the art since it was pencil and ink with aggressive amounts of watermarking but looks like it could be good too. Really makes me feel good about Bendis' run after a shaky start.

The Unexpected is a blast. Steve Orlando having fun with a blend of cosmic stuff, Multiverse stuff, Dark Multiverse stuff, and some big action. Very much playing off precedents set by Snyder and Morrison while doing his own thing with it. Highly recommend not sleeping on that one when it hits.

• Like 1

Rebirth reviews:

Superman #45 by Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason. Upon hearing this was the end of their run, I asked my local comic shop for it having really enjoyed Batman and Robin after a poor start and Superman: Rebirth by them. This was a good issue going out on as Clark/Lois/Jon are leaving Hamilton for Metropolis with Clark lessons’ from his through his Ma/Pa to Jon.

I don''t mind the idea of another Crisis.  Personally, I think their big events are generally rather interesting.  But the DCU is working pretty well right now, both in terms of characters and creators.  I think even sales are fairly solid. I'm going to be sad about some of the creative shakeups that will undoubtedly spin out of this.  

Rich Johnston said/speculated the endgame is to move the iconic characters closer to their movie counterparts - ie, no super marriage to Lois and son, and no Bruce/Catwoman marriage.  

Honestly, I find Marvel's frequent soft-reboots and shake-ups much more annoying.

16 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Rich Johnston said/speculated the endgame is to move the iconic characters closer to their movie counterparts

maybe they could try, oh i don't know.....making the movie versions better reflect the comics versions instead of vice versa.

• Like 3

The thing is, a lot of bread and butter superhero readers are like...30s-50s white dudes. Married with kids kinda reflects their core demographic and younger readers tend to latch onto the younger characters (Damian is HUGE on Tumblr) so it actually helps them connect with younger readers too. Trying to make Batman young and cool rather than a badass dad just serves to drive the franchise further away from both its base and the demo it aspires to hook deeper. If anything it just feels like editorial having a midlife crisis and longing nostalgically for the days before the kids and the responsibilities. But nothing about that is cool or appealing.

For DC, I honestly think going back to the original Earth 2 approach would work best. Rather than constantly rebooting, just switch your focus universe to a younger one while having 'Earth 2' books focusing on the legacy universe, mostly the legacy heroes. They already have a system to have their cake and eat it too so I really don't get why they don't use it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, twiztor said:

maybe they could try, oh i don't know.....making the movie versions better reflect the comics versions instead of vice versa.

LOL, You're going to get banned from a lot of message boards with that kind of attitude.

• Like 1

A Tale of the Batman: Gotham by Gaslight collects Gotham by Gaslight and Master of the Future. The title story is set in 1889 as Bruce Wayne’s Bat-Man fights crime in Gotham City as Jack the Ripper’s murdering there. The people in Gotham react to these events. A great story taking place in a different reality makes it stand out from other Batman tales/novels. Master of the Future a engaged Bruce Wayne brings back the Bat-Man as Gotham is threatened by someone displeased. Average sequel even more to the original.

Lobo written like he doesn't know Atom in No Justice is the worst. I don't ask for much but if two characters have just been in a series together for twenty issues, one that literally ended a couple of weeks ago, with plenty of character development between the two, don't write them like they don't know each other for the sake of one gag. I don't need a bulletproof shared universe but don't screw that up.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 8:16 PM, Matt D said:

Lobo written like he doesn't know Atom in No Justice is the worst. I don't ask for much but if two characters have just been in a series together for twenty issues, one that literally ended a couple of weeks ago, with plenty of character development between the two, don't write them like they don't know each other for the sake of one gag. I don't need a bulletproof shared universe but don't screw that up.

I liked No Justice for the most part but that definitely bothered me as well.

EDIT: Advance reading Justice League #1. The first page has calls to Kamandi, COIE, DC One Million, and Kingdom Come. Awesome.