DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Batman was really good.  He had a lot of ground to cover in very few pages and he hit the most important, most iconic, most emotional stuff without a hitch.

What happened? Thank you.

When it comes to the main Batman book in Rebirth I've either read it in Batman, a UK publication which reprints them (it's just finished the Monster Men story) or if there's an issue that's taken my fancy.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

What happened? Thank you.

When it comes to the main Batman book in Rebirth I've either read it in Batman, a UK publication which reprints them (it's just finished the Monster Men story) or if there's an issue that's taken my fancy.

I'm going to assume you'll read this arc eventually. This is the "Ivy takes over the World except for Batman and Catwoman" story. I'm not going to spoil heavily since I bet you'll read it, but it seemed like an almost impossible situation to get out of and King had Batman deal with it by being both compassionate and unyielding, with a page that's completely him being a physical badass in the middle and an ending which I think comes off with as much or as little shades of grey as you'd like. He uses building blocks from his run and it's all to help drive things towards the wedding, through the idea that maybe Batman couldn't have pulled it off this way without the growth he's experienced over the last 10+ issues. Very good, very economical, very effective, very engaging comic book writing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I'm going to assume you'll read this arc eventually. This is the "Ivy takes over the World except for Batman and Catwoman" story. I'm not going to spoil heavily since I bet you'll read it, but it seemed like an almost impossible situation to get out of and King had Batman deal with it by being both compassionate and unyielding, with a page that's completely him being a physical badass in the middle and an ending which I think comes off with as much or as little shades of grey as you'd like. He uses building blocks from his run and it's all to help drive things towards the wedding, through the idea that maybe Batman couldn't have pulled it off this way without the growth he's experienced over the last 10+ issues. Very good, very economical, very effective, very engaging comic book writing. 

Cheers, @Matt D. I will read it at some point.

I'd argue that Bendis is too smart, too experienced, and too knowledgeable about fans to take Jon/Lois off the table at this juncture, even if he wanted to write a more "pure" take on Superman. They wouldn't be so coy with the solicits if they were taking them off the board, I think.

• Like 1

Speaking of them...

Rebirth reviews: 

Super Sons Annual #13 by Peter J. Tomasi. Damian Wayne doesn’t like the West-Reeve school he now goes to with Jon. While there, Talia al Ghul wants his son back in the League of Assassins. A solid start to the Parent Trap.

Super Sons Annual #14 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy race to stop Talia al Ghul’s target, Lois Lane. This was the second and concluding part to the Parent Trap. A really good issue mainly for Talia vs. Damian Wayne with Talia’s disapproval of Damian following Bruce’s code instead of her teachings/path in the League of Assassins. Also Lois is with someone she met for an interview bumping into Jon so Lois/Jon put on an act not knowing one another.

A little messed up to find that William Messner-Loebs is currently homeless amd working part time at freaking Panera Bread and doing janetorial work for a church to make ends meet. 

Given how much DC owes successful elements of the Flash and Wonder Woman to his work plus the TV money from the Maxx, it's a really upsetting example of how there isn't really a safety net in comics as well as how fragile it is. After all, he should be getting royalties on Keith's recent Maxx reissue as well as the Wonder Woman collection DC put out recently so it's not even like his work isn't seeing new printings.

Just sad as hell.

• Sad 1

Doomsday Clock is such a weird beast. There's about fifty times more care put into it than anything I've ever read from Johns before (except for maybe Blackest Night). You get the sense that every word on every panel was meticulously thought about and it's true with the art as well. The word I'd use is "craft." You almost get the sense that he knows the teacher is watching or something. That said, I'm not sure I'd call it worthwhile. Or necessary. Or enjoyable. It's impeccable but almost because they know how misguided it is. The central conceit is so broken that all the craft in the world basically gives you a gold plated toilet in the end. 

But it's a gold plated toilet where a Rorscach and Saturn Girl escape from Arkham together. So I mean, what the hell, right?

• Like 3

we are 1/3 of the way through Doomsday Clock and still haven't seen Superman. or Doc Manhattan. or, really, anything worthwhile.  Don't get me wrong, i'm gonna keep reading, but i'm glad i'm not supporting this with money.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Doomsday Clock is such a weird beast. There's about fifty times more care put into it than anything I've ever read from Johns before (except for maybe Blackest Night). You get the sense that every word on every panel was meticulously thought about and it's true with the art as well. The word I'd use is "craft." You almost get the sense that he knows the teacher is watching or something. That said, I'm not sure I'd call it worthwhile. Or necessary. Or enjoyable. It's impeccable but almost because they know how misguided it is. The central conceit is so broken that all the craft in the world basically gives you a gold plated toilet in the end. 

But it's a gold plated toilet where a Rorscach and Saturn Girl escape from Arkham together. So I mean, what the hell, right?

So glad I am not reading this. :)

I am looking forwardto this DC/HB crossover.  Can't wait.

SUPER SONS/DYNOMUTT SPECIAL #1
Written by PETER J. TOMASI • Art and cover by FERNANDO PASARIN and OCLAIR ALBERT
Variant cover by DOUG MAHNKE • Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
It’s no fun for Jon Kent to be visiting Big City with his parents for the funeral of an old friend. So his best pal Damian Wayne decides to follow along and give him the inside scoop on the city. But when they go to meet Robin’s local friend, Dynomutt, they find him injured and in need of help. And Dynomutt’s human superhero companion, Blue Falcon, has seemingly turned evil. What’s the reason for this betrayal between once-loyal companions, and what role might the evil Red Vulture play in this scenario?
RETRO-SOLICITED • ONE-SHOT • On sale MAY 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:53 PM, Justin877 said:

I am looking forwardto this DC/HB crossover.  Can't wait.

SUPER SONS/DYNOMUTT SPECIAL #1
Written by PETER J. TOMASI • Art and cover by FERNANDO PASARIN and OCLAIR ALBERT
Variant cover by DOUG MAHNKE • Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
It’s no fun for Jon Kent to be visiting Big City with his parents for the funeral of an old friend. So his best pal Damian Wayne decides to follow along and give him the inside scoop on the city. But when they go to meet Robin’s local friend, Dynomutt, they find him injured and in need of help. And Dynomutt’s human superhero companion, Blue Falcon, has seemingly turned evil. What’s the reason for this betrayal between once-loyal companions, and what role might the evil Red Vulture play in this scenario?
RETRO-SOLICITED • ONE-SHOT • On sale MAY 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

Thanks for the alert. Will be getting this.

• 2 weeks later...

Action 1000 is what I didn't know I needed yesterday and today.  It's a celebration of Superman filled with easy sentimentality and syrup-grade sap, but I ate it the fuck up.  Tom King's story in particular may be the best example since the Dr. Sax/Johnny Guitar issue of Avengers: The Initiative of "you are taking the cheapest possible route toward a tearjerker, but the execution is so good that I'm not even mad."   I also loved Jurgens and Snyder's stories, though, and I might or might not show up for Bendis (he's done a number of stories I fucking love and at least as many that I think are terrible.  If he ever asks to write 616 Moon Knight again, he should be shot immediately.)

• Like 1

I really, really like almost all of Action #1000. The Bendis teaser felt really out of place and I'm not a real big fan of Meltzer because of Identity Crisis, so those would be my two biggest knocks on the book. No Morrison short or even a mention of the Legion made me raise an eyebrow a bit, too.

Still though, Jurgens, King, Tomasi, Synder were pretty damn good and Johns wrote Supes probably the best he ever has. All in all, I'm happy.

• Like 2