DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 2/5/2018 at 5:13 AM, Brian Fowler said:

They said the Super Hero Girls stuff sold better in bookstores in 2017 than anything they punished except The Killing Joke.

And then pointed out that's without counting the Scholastic Book Fair market. So it might actually be their best selling book outside the direct market.

So yeah this should be big for them.

Given that Raina Telgemeier sells something obscene like 10 million copies of her combined graphic novels per year in the bookstore market, it makes all the sense in the world for DC to lean into that direction to expand readership and make some extra money. They've also been stealth publishing some really good teen fiction books like the Lois Lane series by Gwynda Bond. Can't stress enough how positive a move it is for their long term health to get out of the toxic inbred sludge pile that is the Direct Market for their future planning.

12 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

What is this? Like Nancy Drew? Teen Lois gets into adventures?

Lois is my favorite female comics character, and I would be interested in supporting this concept. 

Pretty much exactly this. Teen Lois gets a youth internship at the Daily Planet and does intrepid youth investigator stuff while chatting with her internet friend from Smallville. I've only actually read the first book (of three that I know of for sure) but it was super fun and well written.

More info (and some freebie teasers apparently) here: http://www.gwendabond.com/series/lois-lane

6 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Pretty much exactly this. Teen Lois gets a youth internship at the Daily Planet and does intrepid youth investigator stuff while chatting with her internet friend from Smallville. I've only actually read the first book (of three that I know of for sure) but it was super fun and well written.

More info (and some freebie teasers apparently) here: http://www.gwendabond.com/series/lois-lane

Thanks for the tip. Looks like my library has the first two books, so I put a hold request on book 1.  If I like it, I will buy the series. 

What iare the general thoughts, feelings, and whatnot on New Superman (The Chinese superhero introduced in Rebirth)?  I am intrigued by the concept and wondered how anyone felt about it.  I appreciate the feedback I got on Super Sons , it was a blast .

I thought it was pretty fun. I went from reading the first two volumes via library to actively collecting the rest of it. Its fun seeing the lead grow from where he started, and the rest of the cast is pretty solid themselves. Its also nice to occasionally see the Great Ten and see a DC mythology built up for China.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I thought it was pretty fun. I went from reading the first two volumes via library to actively collection the rest of it. Its fun seeing the lead grow from where he started, and the rest of the cast is pretty solid themselves. Its also nice to occasionally see the Great Ten and see a DC mythology built up for China.

Oh, the Great Ten. One of DC’s stupidest marketing decisions, cancelling a ten issue mini series with issue nine. 

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Oh, the Great Ten. One of DC’s stupidest marketing decisions, cancelling a ten issue mini series with issue nine. 

God that was absurd.

Did they ever collect it or anything?

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Well are they behind just because, or could they potentially be behind to make things match up with whatever the DC universe is supposed to look like by the time the story ends?

Johns says in the first tweet that he and Frank couldn't make the deadline for a 32-story-page book monthly.

• Like 1

Read Detective Comics #972, #973, and Annual #1. Fall of the Batmen was good, but I'm kinds of pissed off at the ending since that is basically the type of thing that will put Kate on the shit list for life. I can't even say it was bad since it was something they were building to in this and her own book, and it actually was a strong ending. I just hate the likely end results of it. On the other hand the retold origin of Basil in the annual was pretty great.

The artist-driven new launch of characters is such a disaster waiting to happen. How did they not realize that it wasn't a good idea at all? It's going to fall into the Bloodlines graveyard of doomed launches. Terrifics will do well but that's it.

Dark-Matter-banner-2-810x400.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The artist-driven new launch of characters is such a disaster waiting to happen. How did they not realize that it wasn't a good idea at all? It's going to fall into the Bloodlines graveyard of doomed launches. Terrifics will do well but that's it.

Are the books terrible?