DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Good. The number of talented women who couldn't work on Wonder Woman because Berganza had to be kept in check is sad as hell.

If Bleeding Cool is to be believed, the timing sucks for DC as for his MANY faults, Berganza was apparently real good at the 'editing' thing and with Action Comics #1000 coming up and both major Supes books shipping twice monthly as well as Metal having fallen under him...well, it's messy. I'd be sympathetic but that's what they get for not firing him the first time this came out.

So Doomsday Clock is upon us. I bought DC Universe Rebirth #1 One-Shot Special when it came out and glad I did, terrific book with THAT ending. I know about the Button crossover in Batman/the Flash but haven't read it, I may at some point. Unsure yet if I'll get Doomsday Clock or just wait for the collection. You?

Doomsday Clock is one of the thing I'm interested in, but I need to know if you have to be up to date with Superman. I read via library so I'm behind probably a good two volumes worth of issues minimum. I'm honestly thinking of heading over to my LCS tomorrow just to ask Didio and Lee.

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Apparently there's a time skip in Doomsday Clock that puts it about a year ahead of the line (which will catch up as it goes). Maybe just make sure you have cliff notes for Oz Effect but I suspect you'll be fine either way.

Is Oz Effect the story that is currently running?

Also I ask the same question with Metal. I really only pick up Detective and am 2-3 three months behind on even that while I'm only just about to start the third volume of King's Batman and only just finished the second volume of All Star a couple of weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Is Oz Effect the story that is currently running?

Also I ask the same question with Metal. I really only pick up Detective and am 2-3 three months behind on even that while I'm only just about to start the third volume of King's Batman and only just finished the second volume of All Star a couple of weeks ago.

Oz Effect just wrapped.

Metal you can basically jump on from the two Dark Days one shots.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I am so tired of the "one year skip" gimmick. 

In fairness, the explanation I saw is less that it'll be DRAMATIC TIME JUMP as them placing it furthest ahead in the timeline so they have a sense of where everything falls which helps avoid weirdness like figuring out how Morrison's stuff lined up with other books or Johns' Justice League squared with the depowered Superman and Batman having amnesia. Or stuff that sort of ends up accidentally dismissing the consequences like when a book does a tie-in then goes "Glad that's over" next issue before the event has actually wrapped. It lets the books do their own thing and then when Doomsday Clock is wrapped they can worry about reflecting whatever changes in the books.

For a year long event, it makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

There's no way they chase one of the current teams away to make room for Bendis.  But I can easily see them building a new book just for him.

Alternatively, when he first started doing USM and fill-ins on DD, I remember him telling IGN that if there were one DC char he could write it'd be Wally.  If it could be done without fucking up Abnett and Priest's plans (or maybe even if it does) I could easily see him taking over either of the two Wallace Wests (I think Unholy Dragon said something similar a few pages back) for a solo.

Frankly in the wake of White Knight WAY overachieving sales wise and the Earth One line kind of coming and going, I might just suggest putting Bendis on a creator driven out-of-mainline-continuity Batman series. See if they can't get Alex Maleev on it or something. I feel like Bendis Batman will be great if I don't have to worry about linewide implications.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 10:42 AM, The Natural said:

So Doomsday Clock is upon us. I bought DC Universe Rebirth #1 One-Shot Special when it came out and glad I did, terrific book with THAT ending. I know about the Button crossover in Batman/the Flash but haven't read it, I may at some point. Unsure yet if I'll get Doomsday Clock or just wait for the collection. You?

I recently asked my Sister the next time she was at Forbidden Planet if she could look for it. I thought it would be cheaper in single issues/floppies but didn’t expect them to be still there after this time. It didn’t matter because it’s collected in a hardcover last month and Laura kindly got it for me yesterday.

Rebirth reviews:

Teen Titans (Vol. 1): Damian Knows Best collects Teen Titans: Rebirth #1 and Teen Titans #1-5. In Teen Titans: Rebirth #1, Robin captures Beast Boy, Starfire, Raven and Kid Flash? Why? It’s revealed in the main title proper, the Demon’s Fist are out to kill them so begins the new Teen Titans. The book was fine, we see them team-up and each reveal their own difficulties. Damian Wayne’s Robin gets the main part.

Road to Rebirth, Superman: Lois and Clark collects Superman: Lois and Clark #1-8 by Dan Jurgens. I first found in DC Universe Rebirth Special #1 One-Shot a Superman died yet there’s another on this Earth bearded with Lois Lane and Son, Jonathan. Superman (Vol. 1): Son of Superman carries this on. I liked this book trying to explain story wise where the original Superman/Lois Lane and new arrival, Jon went/what they were doing when The New 52/The New 52 Superman arrived. The book did a very good job at it.