DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

It's amazing how they just don't get it with Metal. It's hilarious in some ways. They make strides to bring some of the brightness and legacy back to the DCU and what's the first thing they do? They figure out a way to bring all that darkness back, to make a whole "DARK MULTIVERSE." It's like an addict who just needs another hit. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2017 at 2:04 PM, Matt D said:

It's amazing how they just don't get it with Metal. It's hilarious in some ways. They make strides to bring some of the brightness and legacy back to the DCU and what's the first thing they do? They figure out a way to bring all that darkness back, to make a whole "DARK MULTIVERSE." It's like an addict who just needs another hit. 

In fairness, the Dark Multiverse really feels like it'll be kind of opening new doors conceptually and while there's a lot of dark and spooky stuff in Metal, it definitely feels wilder and more celebratory and weird so far than especially grim or dark. If anything I think it's a good example of how to have dark elements in a book without turning it super dour.

On 10/19/2017 at 12:04 PM, Matt D said:

This. So much this. :angry:

I didn't even bother reading the regular books with Metal tie ins.

On the other hand, Bats and Selina going to (fictional middle eastern country) to presumably get Talia's blessing before getting married was awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda excited.  I don't always enjoy Bendis books (his Avengers run was a mess, GotG was very skippable), but he still mostly delivers for me.  Liked his X-Men run and his recent Iron Man and Spidey runs were solid.

A motivated Bendis is probably going to do something a lot of fun.

I hated the Johns LSH revival. I imagine Bendis' would be even more along those lines.

I have to think this is due, as much as anything else, to Johns getting more and more movie power and Bendis (and Quesada etc) getting more and more cut out of that. 

Truthfully I'd put him on a new property. Dude has an audience for his character driven stuff that they could use for the Dark Multiverse spinoff stuff. 

For his other three books...

But honestly? He shines most with solo characters and big supporting casts. Preferably banter heavy guys. Him doing a Wally West Flash series or bringing back Bart could be great.

I could see him saving the sorta flagging GL franchise too. (The Simon/Jess book has been GREAT but just changed hands and sales on both are middling)