DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Suicide Squad Vol. 2: Going Sane & Justice League vs. Suicide Squad. Going Sane was decent enough. Dug JL vs. SS quite a bit. I liked the general plot. I liked Max vs. Waller and Waller vs. Batman in terms of ideals and methods. The SS vs. JL match ups were decently done. I enjoyed how they built up Killer Frost. It was nice seeing the return of one of the older SS villains in Rustam. Only thing I probably dislike is Waller's characterization, but that is because I will always prefer the Ostrander version. I'm not fond of the make Waller worse than the criminals mindset writers use. Its less complex, is a little lazy at times, and comes off as the writers being a bit too fanboyish for villains they like. Saying that I still find the current version of Waller interesting enough and many steps up from the original New 52 version. I only wish  now that Bronze Tiger would join the book.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Mister Miracle #1 is really good.  Hard to believe it and Vision are by the same guy writing a thoroughly mediocre Batman.

It may be that there's a great deal of pressure to write Batman well, and it causes him to not be as creative as he could be. Wheress with C-level characters, he's not as nervous about going in a direction he wants to go. He knows there won't be a lot of pushback like there would be if he fucked up Batman.

Also decreasing the pressure is probably the fact that the lower level characters don't have to be as concerned about continuity. That gives him more freedom to tell good stories.

There's been some really standout great issues too. Brave and the Mold and the proposal issue stand out in particular but I also thought the issue of the Button that King scripted was terrific. The one man siege of Santa Prisca paired with the letter to Catwoman ruled. The Kite Man standalone was real strong too. I like the trajectory he's taking Bruce on and the general approach. It just seems like he's getting these great peaks paired with deep valleys. His run is super uneven in a way that undercuts those highs.

I've liked King's Batman, save for the first (too rushed) arc.  But, yeah, it's not his best work and nowhere near the level of Vision.  Then again, what is?

I've loved some of the individual issues, though.  I can kinda agree with the "high peaks, deep valleys" comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So Jim Lee and Johnathan Hickman are teasing Hickman to DC and that is a super exciting prospect to me.

What would he actually be writing? This is honestly disappoints me just a pinch, but really only because I was hoping to see him return to Marvel to write a Guardians stoy at some point.

Detective Comics #962. Dug how this finished up with some nice moments for JPV & Zatana. It was cool seeing the Azbats outfit again though I'm pleased they will stick with the normal Azrael outfit. The ending has me curious just where everything is leading especially since it appears Ra's isn't the endgame.

Batwoman #6. This is a one-shot previewing a dystopian future arc for Detective in November. Wasn't all that big on it if I'm being honest. It wasn't bad per say, but I was hoping for something in the present.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 5:38 PM, Eivion said:

Batwoman #6. This is a one-shot previewing a dystopian future arc for Detective in November. Wasn't all that big on it if I'm being honest. It wasn't bad per say, but I was hoping for something in the present.

Yeah, didn't dig this issue at all & really not too excited about yet another dystopian future arc. 

On 8/17/2017 at 5:41 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

My guess would be Justice League, given Hitch is wrapping up soon.

Hickman is a noted LoSH fan, so I wouldn't be shocked if part of him coming over was being promised the Legion to play with, especially with how they've been teased throughout Rebirth.

• Like 1

Rebirth reviews:

Super Sons #6 by Peter J. Tomasi. Superboy is introduced to the Teen Titans and they leave him per Robin’s instructions. This was a disappointing issue and start to a new story arc. The first page of the Kents’ is only worth reading.

Super Sons #7 by Peter J. Tomasi. The Teen Titans ask Superboy to help them restore Robin’s youth back. This was a better issue than the last, it’s good seeing Superboy become a Teen Titan after Robin saying it would never happen previously. Jon Kent’s Superboy is very likeable.

6 minutes ago, Justin877 said:

How many Specials did DC do for the Kirby 100?  The only ones I can remember are:

• Sandman
  • Manhunter
  • Darkseid

Am I missing any others?

Black Racer/Shilo Norman this week. 

New Gods

newsboy legion/boy commandos

When did the Floronic Man (Jason Woodrue) have his origin retconned to "dryad exiled from another dimension?  I was watching the recent Batman/Harley Quinn animated film and Batman mentions that Floronic Man and Poison Ivy have never been human?  News to me.  I googled Floronic Man and found references on the various Wikis, but nothing in the character biography that explained when his origin was changed. Far as I can recall, he's always been a human scientist who used an experimental formula to transform himself into the Floronic Man.

I don't think I never read the New Guardians book that spun out of Millennium. Wondering if they changed his backstory there.