DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 7/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, The Natural said:

From the latest Super Sons:

Super Sons

tumblr_orwhs0E8991r1j2boo1_1280.jpg

Rebirth reviews:

DC Universe Rebirth: Super Sons #5 by Peter J. Tomasi. After verbals to one another, things turn physical as Robin and Superboy fight. A great issue for this with bonus appearances from Alfred, Lois Lane, Superman and Batman adding to this issue’s content. This is such a fun and funny series with the chemistry between Damian Wayne and Jon Kent. My favourite series on the shelves. Alisson Borges is the artist instead of the regular one, Jorge Jiminez and she fits in. Good job by Borges as sometimes a change in artist can/can’t work out.

Read All-Star Batman Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy. Dug this a decent bit. Was nice as a battle between Dent, Two-Face, and Bruce over ideologies. It was also good to see KGBeast return. I thought Snyder gave him a solid update backstory wise. The secondary story with Duke was also pretty solid. Never read Robins so it was good learning more baout him and how he ticks. He makes a good partner for Bruce though I wish they would give him a name already.

• Like 1

Early SDCC News and Rumour roundup.

Grant Morrison is working on Wonder Woman Earth One vol. 2 right now. He's got more superhero stuff coming from DC too, including Arkham Asylum 2 with Chris Burnham, featuring the Damian Wayne Batman.

Bleeding Cool con rumours include that Teen Titans and Titans will be merging, and also that Mr. Oz is...

Pre-Crisis Jor-El.

• Like 1

Better than the big bad being 

Spoiler

Earth 2 Superman

Putting on the old man hat, I dread the Watchmen thing and already don't like the DC Metal thing. I mean how many times can we go back to "dark versions of characters?" 

Johns confirmed that it is Dr. Manhattan as the big bad which kills any interest i nthis project for me now.I'd rather be sweved tan have it all be predictable and thus dull.

James

If they tell a good story, I don't really need or want to be swerved.  That's my problem with the Bleeding Cool rumor.  It's enough of a hook if they go the obvious route and make Mr. Oz exactly who you think he is 9 (might be).  Throwing that character in the spoiler into the mix just complicates things because it's so far away from what you expect from that character that the plot will have to jump through a lot of hoops to make sense of it all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

If they tell a good story, I don't really need or want to be swerved.  That's my problem with the Bleeding Cool rumor.  It's enough of a hook if they go the obvious route and make Mr. Oz exactly who you think he is 9 (might be).  Throwing that character in the spoiler into the mix just complicates things because it's so far away from what you expect from that character that the plot will have to jump through a lot of hoops to make sense of it all.

Honestly, I feel like it kind of adds to the emotional weight of the character and the reasons for things happening as they are. Apparently this all goes back to the ending of Convergence:

With Parallax and the post-Crisis Superman and other heroes going to fight the Anti-Monitor and stopping the original Multiverse from being collapsed, pre-Crisis Barry/Supergirl never died and there's still an infinite multiverse...which begs the question of why the Prime Earth is still in a system of 52 but I dunno this is gonna get real complicated real fast.

I'm intrigued at least. JRJr at DC still just feels weird to me though.

On that note... That DC masterclass panel sounded both awesome and like a nice subtle shot at Marvel and their "artists don't move books anymore" thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm intrigued at least. JRJr at DC still just feels weird to me though.

Same here with how long John Romita Jr was at Marvel Comics for.

Romita Jr. did a great job on art for Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade.

I also liked his work for the first All-Star Batman arc with Scott Snyder.

More Rebirth reading.

THE FLASH REBIRTH vol. 1 I liked the idea of this but the execution was too quick. I loved the idea of the villain and the reveal, while really obvious, happened way too fast. I didn't feel like I had to time to even give a shit about any relationships, so the swerve had no weight. I think they could have gone even longer with the whole Flash City, stuff, and drawn out the systematic killing of amateur speedsters for sooooo much longer. That could have been a mystery every 6 issues. I'll stick with it, but I hope it slows down a little. 

CYBORG REBIRTH VOL 1. Mixed bag. It actually felt very much like the 90's SpiderMan TV show, but that made me want even more cyber punk stuff. As I was reading it I just kept imagining all these cool ideas they could do, and was left kinda disappointed. The art here is also rough in places. I'll give it another Volume, but it's on the chopping block.

HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS VOL 1. I quite enjoyed this even though I was terribly confused for some of it. Like I didn't know the story about where the Corps had gone, and I was trying to figure out why no one in the GREEN LANTERNS series seemed to mention that there was no Green Lantern Corps anymore. But besides all the confusion this felt like a really fun space battle comic. The art here was a mixed bag. Ethan Van Sciver's stuff was a huge downgrade from what Rafa Sandoval was doing. I mean some of it was just preposterously bad looking. I'll stick with this one though.

Next up is the two Batgirl series. Excited for those.

New Super-Man Vol. 1: Made in China. For a cast full of unlikable people, its odd how much I ended up enjoying this. I mean most everyone around is an arrogant asshole on some level with the lead, Kenan Kong, particularly being shown as a bully jock type. Still its fun seeing bits of superhero world in China be unveiled, exploring whats behind Kenan's personality, and seeing how his relationship with his father plays out. Wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but I'm now looking forward to checking out more when the next volume is available.

Nightwing Vol. 2: Back to Bludhaven. The one-shot with Destiny and Superman was neat, and I liked how it set up Dick checking out Bludhaven for the first time in this universe. The plot for the arc was a little predictable in terms of the villain, but I liked what it did in creating a new Bludhaven and doing something different with a bunch of D level villains trying to reform. I'm kind of disappointed with how things ended after they set up such a healthy relationship with Shawn, but it doesn't ruin the whole thing for me. Another solid read on the whole.

Green Lanterns, vol 1: Rage Planet

Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are new to me. I think they turn up towards the end of Nu52 GL, but I am still catching up on those books. This volume provides an excellent introduction. 

I like both of them, but I find Jessica especially fascinating. She suffers from agoraphobia and crippling anxiety. So the ring's "You have the ability to overcome great fear" really means something for her. This book shows us how she begins to overcome that situation, while by no means being cured by the end. Simon, too, has his own issues to resolve. And both characters have solid family support that I look forward to knowing more. 

The action comes from Atrocitus and his Red Lanterns. There's a terrific scene with Bleez that explains what the red rings do to someone; I almost got teary-eyed for her. Never would have expected it, as from my experience she's seriously annoying. 

The artwork breaks no new ground, being planted firmly in the DC house style. But it looks really good. 

Terrific beginning to the new series. 

The Flash Rebirth vol 1

I started The Flash on hoopla. I know some have complained about the art, but I didn't mind it. I thought it was appropriately kinetic.

However, I only made it about 3 issues, and I may not finish it. I don't like this Barry Allen much. Maybe if I had been reading Nu52 Flash all along, I'd be okay with it. He feels whiny, and I am not sure I want to hear the phrase "Speed Force" ever again. Apparently, it's the all powerful magic force, except when it isn't? (even causing costume changes at will?) The story of half the city getting spider, er, Flash powers doesn't interest me.

I think maybe modern Flash just isn't for me. . .but if I am prejudging wrongly, and the rest of the trade is terrific, then I will finish it. What say you?

(Note: not long ago, I picked up Wally!Flash #54 on comixology after reading about it on a blog. It's called "Nobody Dies", I think, and it involved a fight on an airliner. That was decent. And I have read some Trial of the Flash - just before Crisis - that I liked well enough. So I don't think I dislike the concept.)

Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault 

Heavily-influenced by the movie. Not terrible, but it's not particularly special, either. My biggest issue: They put the team against a too-powerful villain for their first story. Then the writers had to depower and dumb down that villain to make him beatable.

Also: How can Harley be a prisoner working for Waller (just like in the movie) and yet still be living in and running her NYC apartment building (in her solo series)? I'd like to think that the solo series is in its own elseworlds universe.

I have read a few other Rebirth trades so far, that I haven't written up, including Action vol 1 and Superman vol 1. Despite the presence of Doomsday, I actually liked Action's art and story better than Supes. I think that's a minority opinion.

It may be my dislike for "cute kids". :mellow: