DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I want a book dedicated to Tusky the walrus, Topo the octopus , Ark the sea lion and all of Aquaman's finny friends. Is this too much to ask?

Yes. Yes it is too much to ask.

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I never finished it (due to timing and finances and such at the time) but the first 12 issues or so were great. Read like a proto-Vertigo book from the early 90s in a lot of ways.

You apparently didn't miss much.  #15 was the last issue published.  As I recall, Mieville had to rush to wrap up the book in the issues they alloted him.

I'll look for the two trades and give it a try.

He probably should have left off the for Hero part.

Action Comics Vol. 2: Welcome to the Planet. Dug this one. Not big story, but a lot stuff setting into place with the new Clark, Luthor, and Lois. Was especially nice seeing the focus on Loi though I'm not sure about the decision to have her replace the New52 version. Just seems like something that would obviously blow up eventually and kind of pointless when they knew about the eventual merging of the timelines. Still all around enjoyable.

The Flash by Mark Waid: Book One. Only thing I wasn't fond of was probably the story for Barry in the special. The dialogue and style just felt off a dated compared to Waid and Messner-Loebs. Otherwise this was pretty fun all around though the Abra Kadabra & Aquaman stories had surprisingly dark endings. Will definitely check out more of Waid's run when I have the chance.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Oh, I thought you meant the Will Pfeiffer one, which is also pretty good. Not sure of its collection status. 

My fault.  Didn't even remember there was a Pfeiffer Dial H series, or I would have made it more clear.  Was thinking the Mieville series was the only volume.  Sorry about the confusion.

What's Genesis about?  The 1997 mini-series from Byrne, I mean.  I don't remember it at all.  I'm assuming it ties into the Byrne Fourth World series from DC (they were published about the same time).

For that matter, was the Fourth World series by Byrne any good?  Never read it.  Really like Byrne's output from the early 80's through early 90's.  Not as sold as his late 90's/2000's books.

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

What's Genesis about?  The 1997 mini-series from Byrne, I mean.  I don't remember it at all.  I'm assuming it ties into the Byrne Fourth World series from DC (they were published about the same time).

For that matter, was the Fourth World series by Byrne any good?  Never read it.  Really like Byrne's output from the early 80's through early 90's.  Not as sold as his late 90's/2000's books.

The back ups by all-star teams were better than the main book. 

I had stopped reading comics altogether by the mid/late 90's.  Everything I own from that period was bought years later so it's mostly "bigger" runs by creators I like.  Are any of Byrne's DC books from 95 on worth picking up?  They mostly look skippable.  Blood of the Demon?  New Gods/Fourth World?  Lab Rats?

I do own his Wonder Woman run.  It didn't do much for me.

3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

What's Genesis about? Diminishing returns on regular event comics in the 90s.

Real talk there's a wave from the Source Wall disrupting powers for...reasons? And they have to stop it because they all have powers.

The 90s New Gods stuff was pretty eh overall aside from Orion. I liked the 7 issue Mr. Miracle series but I can't pretend it wasn't dumb.

Read both volumes of Robin: Son of Batman. I thought it was a fun experience on the whole. I liked Maya & Goliath, and it was neat seeing Damian form some friendships closer to age. I was also pleased to see a less crazy Talia. Its disappointing how peopled ignore that she really only became that way because of her will and spirit being broken and stripped away from her by Nyssa. At least there is the potential for reform left in this. Gleason did a pretty solid job on his own.

Hmmm.  There's a Tales of the New Gods trade out there that supposedly reprints Byrne's Fourth World book #2-20, the Mark Evanier Mr. Miracle special from years back, and about 10 issues of Simonson's 90's Orion series.  But.... the trade is only 168 pages.  Something is off here.  A tpb reprinting all those issues would be more like 400-500 pages.  So I'm guessing it's reprinting the backup features from the Byrne and Simonson books (which I think was actually called "Tales of the New Gods", irrc).  Does that sound right.

Don't want to order the trade unless it contains the main stories from the Byrne series.

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Hmmm.  There's a Tales of the New Gods trade out there that supposedly reprints Byrne's Fourth World book #2-20, the Mark Evanier Mr. Miracle special from years back, and about 10 issues of Simonson's 90's Orion series.  But.... the trade is only 168 pages.  Something is off here.  A tpb reprinting all those issues would be more like 400-500 pages.  So I'm guessing it's reprinting the backup features from the Byrne and Simonson books (which I think was actually called "Tales of the New Gods", irrc).  Does that sound right.

Don't want to order the trade unless it contains the main stories from the Byrne series.

It's the backups only.

• Like 1

Man. I absolutely hate the implications of Lazarus Contract's finale on Wally Classic.

Mostly because after reestablishing him as a big deal and Barry's equal and a super important character with Rebirth, it feels like sidelining him with a stupid restraint so the REAL Flash can solve stuff from here.

Also it's a weird dumb move from Damian.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 3:09 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Man. I absolutely hate the implications of Lazarus Contract's finale on Wally Classic.

Mostly because after reestablishing him as a big deal and Barry's equal and a super important character with Rebirth, it feels like sidelining him with a stupid restraint so the REAL Flash can solve stuff from here.

Also it's a weird dumb move from Damian.

I was absolutely nauseated with this, I was really enjoying Deadpool, Titans, and the Lazarus Contract crossover, (Teen Titans has been meh to me since Rebirth, I find Damian unbearable in the series & cannot understand Starfire being on the team at all especially as she has been portrayed as a contemporary of Dick, Roy, and Jason) but this ending was completely dissatisfying. Why do this to Wally, especially after he was so recently brought back?!

22 minutes ago, twiztor said:

not reading. what happened?

Damian heart punched Wally while time travelling to the classic Ravager fight to disrupt Deathstroke's connection to the Speed Force...somehow.

Anyway, it works but altered the timeline so now Wally has a pacemaker and could die if he runs too fast and ugh.

• Like 1