DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

8 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

As for Johns, he's probably my favorite comics writer of the past 15 or so years.  I don't really get the backlash.  Gary Frank handling the art doesn't bother me any either.  

He's the most hit or miss writer ever. His Wally Flash run, his JSA/Hawkman stuff, Sinestro Corps War, things like that? Amazing.

His Barry Flash might be the most boring mainstream comic ever, Infinite Crisis is actively terrible, Blackest Night was shockingly disappointing...

Oh, and nobody remembers he had a Marvel stint, but he should never be allowed near The Avengers ever again.

I'm disliking Hitch as a writer so far.  

The Finches' Wonder Woman book wasn't terrible.  KInda average, imo.  I think it'd be perfectly acceptable at another time, but sandwiching it between a great Brian Azzarello run and two even better Rucka runs hasn't done it any favors.  The Finch stuff felt like something DC would put out for a B title, but Wonder Woman doesn't sell well enough to support two books.  In general, I'm kinda tired of artists who think they should be writers.

On 5/16/2017 at 2:51 PM, Matt D said:

Debatable?

They work... to a certain point in time. Byrne has been actively terrible since... gosh his Wonder Woman run?

Byrne on FF, Alpha Flight, Hulk Superman and Action was amazing. Shit I even loved the insanity of his OMAC mini. But then came Wonder Woman and I was like "Serisouly?"

I can''t figure out where Miller went wrong. Batman/Spawn?

James

Man Without Fear was while he was writing one of the RoboCops and it's still excellent.

Of course, I'm the guy that will defend All-Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder to my last breath, as the best grim and gritty superhero parody ever.

I'm not fond of Man Without Fear. Of course, I'm not fond of very much of Miller's stuff these days, except maybe the first run of DD and big guy & rusty. I haven't read Ronin or Martha Washington in a while, so I would reserve judgment of those. 

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'm not fond of Man Without Fear. Of course, I'm not fond of very much of Miller's stuff these days, except maybe the first run of DD and big guy & rusty. I haven't read Ronin or Martha Washington in a while, so I would reserve judgment of those. 

I read Ronin for the first time not long ago and kinda had to accept it was an 'of its time' thing because I thought it sucked.

So I've been getting back into comics(I go through 6-9 month periods of buying nothing then 3 months of devouring) and have kind of just grabbing single issues to see what I dig. 

I finished the whole Flash/Batman Button cross over. I like the events of what happened, but I felt like it was really 2-3 issues  stretched to 4 issues. I'm okay with where they left Batman, but part of me thinks it's a little weird for him to be as affected as he was. He kinda felt like a noob teenager instead of a grown man who's experienced a TON of crazy shit as Batman. I'm weirdly excited for wherever they going with the Superman/Dr. Manhattan even though 

I also dug Harley Quinn Issue 19 which finished the short Red Meat storyline, had some funny shit and I dug John Timms art style. It's very Humberto Ramos-y. There's also a Paul Dini backup story in all the Red Meat issues that's Batman TAS style. It's cute, but I was almost taken aback at how whoever the artist keeps drawing Harley more sexually suggestively than the Animated Series would have. Not that I'm offended by that, but it's like a clashing of styles. Like she's wearing a nighty most of the time that's loos fitting but he faintly draws all the lines of her body so you get the idea she's naked underneath. It takes a second to realize they're not making this content for FOX KIDS.

Fwiw there's some evidence the last issue of the Button was changed which caused the delay.

Preview copies of the last issue of Detective had Bruce knowing Tim was alive and Red Robin is on the lenticular cover for Flash #22 despite never showing up in the issue.

Gotta wonder what else might have been changed.

Oh shit I didn't even notice that. I got all the lenticular covers because I'm a 90's kid and shiny covers take over all reason. Weird.

I'm still unclear as to what is known and unknown to characters because I dropped out once NEW 52 happened. I plan on checking out most of the Rebirth Banner trades through HOOPLA(shout out to whoever mentioned that existed because Chicago Public Libraries apparently are all over the Hoopla) to kind of get up to speed on the characters I like.

I also thought it was weird that the lenticular kinda made Jay look evil. I'm not super familiar with DC mythos because I spent most of my life as a Marvel only guy, so I don't know if it's a reference I don't get, or if I'm just misreading the cover.

I want a book dedicated to Tusky the walrus, Topo the octopus , Ark the sea lion and all of Aquaman's finny friends. Is this too much to ask?

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I could see not wanting a fourth world book to be irreverent in the way much of Allred's can be sometimes.

But it's Bug, not Desaad or Granny Goodness or Steppenwolf. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Madman and I love the Kirby's Fourth World.  I just hope it isn't going to be "oo cool for school" like the other Young Animal books.  Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye, I am looking at you!