DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Titans: The Return of Wally West. A solid enough story reestablishing Wally as a part of the team while managing to have Wally both move on from Linda as she is now while also leaving the door open for the relationship to come back. As someone who never really read the original series outside of Judas Contract and who didn't catch the mini preceding this this could only do so much for me. What is here isn't bad though and leaves enough for me to at least want to check out the next volume.

Suicide Squad: The Black Vault. Nice set up for the team and general character dynamics with a nice big name villain to start off with. This is a lot closer to what I was hoping to see from the New 52 when they announced Suicide Squad. A lot of it feels like it calls back to Ostrander's run from the psych evaluations, to the quieter yet big missions outside of US soil, to a Waller who seems to have actual nuance and some gray area instead of nearly evil Waller so many writers lazily go for. Still not fond of Harley being on the team, but her voice reads much better is this volume than it did in the last series I read. Hopefully they also go for a rotating roster depending on the mission like Ostrander did. Always made more sense to use specific people for some missions. I'm kind of regretting not picking this up when it started since I'm now behind. This turned out way better than hoped for.

So the most recent Nightwing arc probably has some Rebirth implications.

Nightwing gets stabbed by a knife that is purported to show possible futures and alternate lives from the multiverse. Also...

Simon Hurt returns and says that when Joker buried him alive, he saw what was coming. "I am evil incarnate and I am afraid." he says. Given he's got Darkseid's Hyper-Adapter attached to him, it's very possible he saw the big bad of Rebirth.

Batman this week was...interesting. Cool to see Flashpoint Batman meet mainline Batman even if not a whole lot else happened besides some timeline shenanigans. Curious to see how it wraps up next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So the most recent Nightwing arc probably has some Rebirth implications.

Nightwing gets stabbed by a knife that is purported to show possible futures and alternate lives from the multiverse. Also...

Hide contents

Simon Hurt returns and says that when Joker buried him alive, he saw what was coming. "I am evil incarnate and I am afraid." he says. Given he's got Darkseid's Hyper-Adapter attached to him, it's very possible he saw the big bad of Rebirth.

Batman this week was...interesting. Cool to see Flashpoint Batman meet mainline Batman even if not a whole lot else happened besides some timeline shenanigans. Curious to see how it wraps up next week.

Meant to ask about the Batman/Flash crossover, sounds really good. May have to get the copies. I fucking love the spoiler. @Brian Fowler will as well.

• Like 1

I got The Flash by Mark Waid book 2 and Young Justice Book 1 Tuesday. I got the first two volumes of PAD's Supergirl recently. I have Kyle Rayner: Green Lantern book 1, Batgirl by BQM Book 1, Flash by Waid and Supergirl by PAD books 3 all pre-ordered. As long as DC keeps collecting my favorite comics ever, they can do whatever they feel like with the new stuff.

• Like 2

I wish they'd collect them a little faster.  Some of these omnibus collections (Johns' Flash run and Rucka's Wonder Woman, for exmple) are being released about once per year (for a three or four volume set),  Granted, those runs were already collected, so no big deal.   It looks like DC is going to take a couple years to fully collect Peter David's Supergirl, which didn't get released in trade paperbacks at the time.  That's annoying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I wish they'd collect them a little faster.  Some of these omnibus collections (Johns' Flash run and Rucka's Wonder Woman, for exmple) are being released about once per year (for a three or four volume set),  Granted, those runs were already collected, so no big deal.   It looks like DC is going to take a couple years to fully collect Peter David's Supergirl, which didn't get released in trade paperbacks at the time.  That's annoying.

Looks like two a year for it 

I'm not really complaining because I own nearly all of it in singles and it's never been collected, so I'm just grateful.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Looks like two a year for it 

I'm not really complaining because I own nearly all of it in singles and it's never been collected, so I'm just grateful.

I thought it was three a year, but, yeah, you're right.  First three trades cover 32 issues (plus a couple tie-ins).  So four years.  On the one hand, I rarely buy comics anymore and mostly just wait for trades, so I am grateful that DC is collecting older material.  On the other hand, I'd be a lot happier if Supergirl got collected into, say, four trades released 3-4 months apart.  

Oh well, at least they're collecting some of the older uncollected material.  I'm looking forward to finally getting Byrne's Wonder Woman collected

31 minutes ago, Ace said:

I didn't even know DC was releasing the PAD Supergirl run. I'd thought it'd long gone out of print.

It was never collected in the first place.  Only the first nine issues and the last six issues (#75-80) got collected back in the 90's.  

I'm not a fan of the timing, but DC really is putting out a lot of great TPB's right now, re-releasing a lot of older material that's either long out of print or never got fully collected in the first place.  How did we get through the 80's and 90's without every issue of every book getting collected into a tpb a couple months later.  T'was the Dark Ages.

I really need to pick up the Waid Flash collections at some point.

I mean, given that the letter wasn't referenced again until Rebirth, it's worth considering we don't know when in their timelines it happened. The New 52 timeline has stretched to at least 10 years now but it's possible Barry's Flashpoint adventure is relatively recent for them, especially considering he only encountered Thawne for the first time recently.

As a sidenote, with both Supergirl book one and Young Justice book one, they included a little bit of material not in the original collected editions. The original Supergirl trade just had the short story from an issue of Showcase '96 and issues 1-9. This new collection has those as well as the first annual and the Supergirl plus Mary Marvel one-shot.

Young Justice: A League of their Own had 1-7, the Young Justice: The Secret one-shot, and I think secret files. The new  trade throws in JLA: World Without Grown-Ups #1-2 and a story from secret origins.

In short, I almost could have skipped the first book of each and started at book two. Almost.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

As a sidenote, with both Supergirl book one and Young Justice book one, they included a little bit of material not in the original collected editions. The original Supergirl trade just had the short story from an issue of Showcase '96 and issues 1-9. This new collection has those as well as the first annual and the Supergirl plus Mary Marvel one-shot.

Young Justice: A League of their Own had 1-7, the Young Justice: The Secret one-shot, and I think secret files. The new  trade throws in JLA: World Without Grown-Ups #1-2 and a story from secret origins.

In short, I almost could have skipped the first book of each and started at book two. Almost.

This is perpetually infuriating to me and yet I keep rebuying because dammit I *want* those more thorough collections.

Scott Snyder interview:

http://www.newsarama.com/34423-scott-snyder-unveils-plans-for-his-last-batman-story-with-all-star-batman-finale-in-fall-with-sean-murphy.html

Scott says the story following "The First Ally" on All-Star Batman "very well might be the last Batman story that I do proper Batman for a while." Said story he's thought about a number of years.

Interesting stuff. Tagging my fellow friend with the same interests including Batman and Scott Snyder, @WholeFnMachine.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So y'all are reading Detective Comics right now, right?

Because it's becoming one of the best Batfam runs ever I think. The League of Shadows conclusion absolutely killed it.

Cannot wait to make my comic store run on Saturday morning, huge pull for me this week, 17 books. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So y'all are reading Detective Comics right now, right?

Because it's becoming one of the best Batfam runs ever I think. The League of Shadows conclusion absolutely killed it.

Why did you have to say that? Now you're making consider going out to the shop this weekend instead of a week or two from now.

• Like 1

I *am* a HUGE Batman fan (or at least I have an extensive enough collection at this point) and I agree although Snyder has turned it into a fight.

I guess the huge caveat is that I really didn't like Miller's Batman until I came around a bit a few years back but I still consider it massively overrated. Give me Englehart/Rogers over it any day.

• Like 3