DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

All 4 issues of War of the Gods (not great story but classic 80s petez art)

Actually classic Perez 91/92. I remember when this was beign passed around the Marvel offices while at the time Perez was in Editor Bobbie Chase's office ot talk Hulk Future Imperfect planning with Peter David

James

I'm looking forward to the HBverse/DCU annuals and DC/Looney Tunes one shots more than I expected.  Booster Gold meeting the Russell Flintstones is inspired, Space Ghost meeting the Green Lanterns is perfect, and "Lobo/Road Runner" is one of those phrases that tells you EXACTLY what the comic will be without diminishing desire to read it at all.  Also, an actual LSH story for the first time in...4 years? 5? I don't remember when the nu52 LSH got its plug pulled, but I remember that it was abrupt and sad.

Lobo/Road Runner sounds like the most perfect one-shot anyone has ever pitched.  I can only assume it climaxes with Lobo smashing himself against a wall and the blood spatter generating a thousand more Lobos, and the Road Runner STILL winning.

So someone deep dived and found a new series of JSA by Geoff Johns collections. That is in and of itself not shocking. What is absolutely amazing is that I'm pretty sure vol. 1 ends before Johns joined the book and other than some of the prologue one shots I don't think he wrote any of it?

So it's JSA by Geoff Johns 'featuring contributions by' David Goyer and James Robinson. Contributions such as THE WHOLE DAMN MAIN TITLE CONTENT. 

Just...amazing.

31 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So someone deep dived and found a new series of JSA by Geoff Johns collections. That is in and of itself not shocking. What is absolutely amazing is that I'm pretty sure vol. 1 ends before Johns joined the book and other than some of the prologue one shots I don't think he wrote any of it?

So it's JSA by Geoff Johns 'featuring contributions by' David Goyer and James Robinson. Contributions such as THE WHOLE DAMN MAIN TITLE CONTENT. 

Just...amazing.

You're talking about Justice Be Done?  Johns' first issue should be included in the collection.  Justice Be Done collected JSA issues #1-5, plus the JSA Secret Files.  Issues 1-4 (the first story arc) was written by Paul Robinson and David Goyer.  #5 was Johns' first issue, with Goyer still as co-writer.  The Secret Files' origin stories were also mostly written by Robinson and Goyer.

I don't really get the outrage.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else read Action Comics 976 and still feel more than a little confused about what's canon in this continuity and what isn't and about New52 Supes & Old School Supes? 

Spoiler

It's obvious that pre-New52 Superman is still the Superman going forward, but I am wondering how much of the continuities were blended together? Also fairly obvious that Mr. Oz is talking about Dr. Manhattan. I just think they are being so ridiculously vague about so many things. It's also pretty funny that the only books that are really acknowledging this merge are Action, Superman, and Titans. Although that will change with the Batman/Flash Button crossover. 

16 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Anybody else read Action Comics 976 and still feel more than a little confused about what's canon in this continuity and what isn't and about New52 Supes & Old School Supes? 

Reveal hidden contents

It's obvious that pre-New52 Superman is still the Superman going forward, but I am wondering how much of the continuities were blended together? Also fairly obvious that Mr. Oz is talking about Dr. Manhattan. I just think they are being so ridiculously vague about so many things. It's also pretty funny that the only books that are really acknowledging this merge are Action, Superman, and Titans. Although that will change with the Batman/Flash Button crossover. 

From what I can figure:

The timeline is more or less unchanged but Superman and Lois now have the memories of their New 52 counterparts.

I could be wrong though.

DC Universe Rebirth: Super Sons #2 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy are on an investigation which finds them bumping into Superlex. A funny issue once again for the interactions between the two super sons and Damian’s burns on Lex Luthor. The last page is a right tease for the next issue. I’m thinking about adding this to my pull list, that the right term? I get Spider-Gwen and Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows from my comic book shop. DC books are also cheaper.

Batwoman: Rebirth #1 by Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV. Batwoman is out to stop a terrorist attack and in doing so, a link to Kate Kane’s past. I liked this issue for the story, Batwoman talking about how to cause pain, the Kate Kane/Julia Pennyworth partnership and Steve Epting’s art. I’ll get the next issue and see from there.

Batman: Night of the Monster Men. This was generally decent, but it never felt like it hit a real high note. Gotham Girl's part is done well but built off of a weak introduction arc that still doesn't have you really knowing her well enough to be completely interested in her. Strange is incredibly under built. The face off between him and Bruce would have been great material if we had actual seen him properly studying Batman beforehand along building up his motivations. As it was it just felt sort of empty. The kaiju stuff just felt kind of weird in Batman. It also was ridiculous that Bruce never called in the league for back-up. The ending battle when Dick saves the day with the last monster also never really quite made sense in terms of how he actually stopped said beast. As a Batfamily team up is was solid enough, but I just can't help but feel this needed more development.

The idea was solid. It just that both NOTMM and the Gotham story that built into it just needed more time. The event probably shouldn't have taken place for another three months. I'm guessing the "death" of Tim made it harder to time since it was a big plot point for where Bruce's head was at. I have the first three issues of King's second arc. Hopefully I will get to it soon.

• Like 1