DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On the new episode of the Winter Palace pod, Leonard F Chikarason and I discuss (amongst other thngs) Jason Aaron and rm Guéra's The Goddamned, Thors and Secret Wars, evolving art styles at Marvel and DC, the Millar / Hester Run on Swamp Thing, 90s DC hidden gems like Chase, Chronos, Primal Force and more.

All at http://tinyurl.com/winterep17

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

on Friday i finished my great Batman read. took about 3 1/2 years, but i have now read every Batman comic book. Every issue of Batman, Detective Comics, and all of the spin-offs (excluding Team [justice league, outsiders] and Team-Up books [the brave & the bold]). I started with TEC #27 and went right up to the start of the New52. the only thing i skipped was Morrison's run, which i had already read twice by that point and was still ongoing. By a quick estimate, that's approximately 3100 books.

In addition to that, i followed the Teen Titans and New Teen Titans, right up into the 90s. Gotta follow Dick Grayson.

Also read the highly acclaimed Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander (which was phenomenal) which also led me to follow Secret Six (also fucking amazing). that adds another 500ish books.

it's been a hell of a journey. I've seen pulp Batman, time-travelling Batman, Intergalactic cop Batman, Superhero Batman, Batjerk, Batgod, and everything in between.

I know it's been a full month, but I wanted to also congratulate you on completing such a feat. I'm currently doing something similar but with select DC and Marvel titles and will eventually meet up with some Image books. Batman is one of the books that I'm reading and it's such a heavy yet awesome amount to read.

on Friday i finished my great Batman read. took about 3 1/2 years, but i have now read every Batman comic book. Every issue of Batman, Detective Comics, and all of the spin-offs (excluding Team [justice league, outsiders] and Team-Up books [the brave & the bold]). I started with TEC #27 and went right up to the start of the New52. the only thing i skipped was Morrison's run, which i had already read twice by that point and was still ongoing. By a quick estimate, that's approximately 3100 books.

In addition to that, i followed the Teen Titans and New Teen Titans, right up into the 90s. Gotta follow Dick Grayson.

Also read the highly acclaimed Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander (which was phenomenal) which also led me to follow Secret Six (also fucking amazing). that adds another 500ish books.

it's been a hell of a journey. I've seen pulp Batman, time-travelling Batman, Intergalactic cop Batman, Superhero Batman, Batjerk, Batgod, and everything in between.

I know it's been a full month, but I wanted to also congratulate you on completing such a feat. I'm currently doing something similar but with select DC and Marvel titles and will eventually meet up with some Image books. Batman is one of the books that I'm reading and it's such a heavy yet awesome amount to read.

i hope you enjoy your journey as much as i enjoyed mine!

• Like 1

It's been taken down until the embargo date (she didn't notice the date apparently, which should probably be a minimum requirement to have access to a galley site)

Bleeding Cool still has review highlights and the pages shared. I've had zero success copying links to here (I'm on mobile) but it's on the front page under comics.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a break from reading last spring and decided to finally get caught up on anything good that I missed. Then I read they did away with the New 52. It sounds like they are keeping things from the end of that series but my question does the end of that series completely undo everything from the last four years? I'm pretty irritated DC doesn't seem to have its shit together and seemingly "reboots" their books every half decade. Its like people told them New 52 was shit and they just stubbornly ignored it for a few years so they could pass it off as not a mistake.

Anyway there seem to be some fun sounding books I haven't read. Gotham by Miidnight and Earth 2 Society. Is that Landis Superman book any good? 

It's more that the branding has changed and the approach has changed a bunch. Same timeline/continuity. A lot of the newer books are great though.

The Landis Superman series is interesting. I loved the first issue but found the second...confusing.

Clark busts up some serial killers as a teen and since he's not quite invulnerable yet freaks out when he takes a beating and kills/maims some of the bad guys with his heat vision which feels...odd. But Landis has stated repeatedly that his idea of Superman doesn't have an explicit code against killing so...

It's still a super interesting series. Very different than most approaches. Maybe wait for the trade though.

Yeah. Grayson is great. Batgirl and Gotham Academy too. Pretty much the whole Gotham corner is great honestly. The Truth arc has revitalized Superman. Lots of great lesser knowns like Midnighter and Omega Men. Hell, Ben Percy's Green Arrow would have been a standout a year ago but is more of a decent mid level deal now. Lots to like.

So then Gotham by Midnight and Academy are both good? Batgirl has been one of the best books going back to the new 52 so thats not surprising. Is Grayson 1 self contained or does something else lead into it? 

You can read it without reading anything else. It builds out of Forever Evil but certainly doesn't require it.

Gotham by Midnight has an amazing first arc and a fun-not-great second one. Gotham Academy and Grayson are constantly terrific. The only thing you need to knowfr Grayson is that his secret ID was outed in Forever Evil and his death was subsequently faked. If reading digitally, maybe grab Nightwing #30 as it acts as a prologue (by the Grayson team). Not needed but enriches.

• 2 weeks later...

The only ones I ever remember are Hitman (duh), Argus (because he stuck around for a bit in Flash), Sparx (who hung out with Superboy in Superboy and the Ravers) and Gunfire (I have never read the story with the original, but fondly remember the Gunfire of the 853rd Century thanks to Hitman)

I mean, I was 5 or 6 when Bloodlines was coming out and I thought it was amazing. Reading Waid's Flash at the time meant Argus was my jam too. I remember finding the two part conclusion to it as an adult and just needing to know. So there's definitely some element of nostalgia to it. Honestly if they release a trade or two of all the tie ins and the bookend stuff I'd probably buy it. I just don't see the value in a series that looks as bad 90s influenced as the Culling was.

Greg Capullo's designed a new Batsuit. I tried posting the Bleeding Cool link here but it's not happening.

I have an interest in comic book costumes no matter the medium. I like the New 52 Batsuit drawn by Greg, it's less busy compared to the original Jim Lee design. What would you like to see? Batsuit black and grey with no oval is my first choice. I'm good with blue and grey with the yellow oval returning. I liked the Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1) suit, could work from that losing the protective cup/chastity belt ; ). No Batman: Arkham Knight armour look.