DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Read the Death of Superman. It was...a fight. Its not bad or anything, but it didn't come off like the pic end to the Man of Steel that I think they wanted it to be. It was a bit bloated, being a least 3-4 issues longer than necessary, while the actual fight with Doomsday is nothing amazing. You never really get to learn anything about Doomsday either, and the build to the encounter itself was just kind of there. Its decent, but not a particularly great story. I can't help, but feel it could have all been done better. It felt very much more like the beginning of something rather than the end which makes the bloated length a little worse.

It is. The fight and death are merely a lead in to "Funeral For A Friend" and "Reign of the Supermen" which are both fantastic.

Thought it might be the case. Will check both out then.

Marv Wolfman will be taking over Superboy and Tony Bedard will be taking over Supergirl. Haven't read any thing from Wolfman outside of Judas Contract and the recent Games GN, but i like his writing. Hopefully he can do something good with it. I had no idea idea Supergirl was even getting a new writer. I pretty much loath Bebdard being chosen considering the crap job he did with Blue Beetle and how mediocre New Guardians was save an issue or two.

Wolfman is an odd case.  He made his (well deserved) rep w/ Teen Titans.  The first 50 issues were outstanding.  When Perez left, the quality dropped off quickly.  Nothing he's written before or after, say, issue 50 of the original book has really impressed me or made me think he;s an A-list writer.

"A Day in the Life" should still be on the short list of best single issues ever.

Wolfman is an odd case.  He made his (well deserved) rep w/ Teen Titans.  The first 50 issues were outstanding.  When Perez left, the quality dropped off quickly.  Nothing he's written before or after, say, issue 50 of the original book has really impressed me or made me think he;s an A-list writer. "A Day in the Life" should still be on the short list of best single issues ever.

Tomb of Dracula?

I think that the thing with Wolfman was that he burned out really badly by the end of the New Titans stuff (trust me - the end of the book is absolutely horrible.)  I've read a few things by him lately - the Devil's Due Defex had potential - but the magic he had at the start of New TT and Crisis just isn't there, or at least it wasn't yet.  Games was great, but that was him and Perez together again (and he'd started the story 20+ years ago).  I'll give his Superboy run a shot.  Even a mediocre Wolfman's much better than what DC's been pushing out to this point on that book.

Read the Death of Superman. It was...a fight. Its not bad or anything, but it didn't come off like the pic end to the Man of Steel that I think they wanted it to be. It was a bit bloated, being a least 3-4 issues longer than necessary, while the actual fight with Doomsday is nothing amazing. You never really get to learn anything about Doomsday either, and the build to the encounter itself was just kind of there. Its decent, but not a particularly great story. I can't help, but feel it could have all been done better. It felt very much more like the beginning of something rather than the end which makes the bloated length a little worse.

It is. The fight and death are merely a lead in to "Funeral For A Friend" and "Reign of the Supermen" which are both fantastic.

Yeah, I'd recommend all three. I read them growing up. Still own 'em.

There is a scene in Funeral that left me a blubering mess as a child, and still chokes me up now.

Haven't read it since I was a young lad so I'll throw these in:

Batman dealing with thug saying as it's Superman's town, he'll deal with him Supes' way.

Pa and Ma Kent.

Superman trying to help Pa Kent return to the living.

Bibbo and Krypto.

So apparently Aquaman and Mera aren't married in the New 52 despite Mera being referred to as Atlantis's Queen several times. DC really has it out for marriage right now.

Marc Andreyko will Batwoman's new writer starting with #25 which pisses me off as Williams and Blackman aren't even being allowed to finish their last story. It seems DC wants to force Batwoman into the Batfamily despite her little connection to any of the characters as well. Its all so disappointing.

Marc Andreyko will Batwoman's new writer starting with #25 which pisses me off as Williams and Blackman aren't even being allowed to finish their last story. It seems DC wants to force Batwoman into the Batfamily despite her little connection to any of the characters as well. Its all so disappointing.

i don't even read Batwoman regularly, but a team should be allowed to finish its story, especially if it's already completed or near it. And doubly so since the team said they'd be able to have everything tied up nicely.

honestly, i wondered how long they'd be able to keep Batwoman away from the Batfam. the "Bat-" in her name and the fact that she operates in Gotham practically dictate that she team up with the rest at some point.

DiDio also spent time affirming his, and DC’s, commitment to gay characters, daring listeners to name a comic company who “stands behind” LGBTQ characters in the way DC does.

The answer, Mr. Didio, is Archie Comics.

Posted Image

P.S. They even allowed him to get married.

• Like 1

i don't even read Batwoman regularly, but a team should be allowed to finish its story, especially if it's already completed or near it. And doubly so since the team said they'd be able to have everything tied up nicely.

honestly, i wondered how long they'd be able to keep Batwoman away from the Batfam. the "Bat-" in her name and the fact that she operates in Gotham practically dictate that she team up with the rest at some point.

To make matters worse Williams and Blackman had just finished #25 and were starting #26 today.

Man, call them for their actual weird hangups and bad decisions all you like, but the number of "DC is anti-gay marriage" and "DC is trying to sexualize female suicide" headlines I've seen lately is just freaking irritating.If you're going to call them on their bullshit, at least call them on the right stuff. Such as the idiotic marriage ban that only exists because execs are having a midlife crisis and thinks avoiding marriage keeps the characters forever young. Or the stubborn refusal to back up and allow their creators to have a voice outside a handful of titles.Yes, DC is doing stupid things.Yes, they should have let Kate and Maggie get married. The sales on that issue alone should have made it an easy sell.No, their refusal to do that doesn't make them anti-women or anti-gay. It makes them anti-creativity.I just want to burn the internet at this point.

The Batwoman thing bugs me less than the Harley one frankly. I mean, the misresporting is arguably worse, but the Harley one is just...it's HARLEY! Her WHOLE EXISTENCE has been Looney Tunes violence against women, with her defining herself in relation to Joker and willingly playing the Judy to his Punch. She's not really a strong female character (though she's a great one) and her trying to off herself (or finding herself in ludicrously precarious situations) totally works. Yes, she's naked in one scene. That is because she's in a bath. People are usually naked in the bath. There's also a lot of "MEN ABUSING FICTIONAL WOMEN" talk, which ignores the fact that Amanda Conner is the co-writer. And they've stated a desire to have a Deadpool-esque tone with the book.It's just like...has the whole world gone fucking crazy?And frankly, making stupid arguments like these causes the valid criticisms to be dismissed.It's just...ugh. And I've had to say this three times on my Facebook in the last 24 hours. One of my friends commented that it's hilarious to see me getting madder each time it comes up.

Haven't heard anything about sexualization of female suicide. When and where did that come up?

There was some kind of contest related to the Harley Quinn book. The scene to draw was Harley naked in a bathtub. Admittedly, a clever gag could involve strategically funny nudity.