DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

All of these editorial decisions came at the last minute, and always after a year or more of planning and plotting on our end.

Now my question is, did they actually bother to tell DC about these plots ahead of time or did they just show up in the submitted scripts?

They likely told their editors. This is coming from the top (Lee/Johns/Didio) and has now happened repeatedly. 

The world is a much better place, if you just pretend DC stopped publishing comics in October 2011.

Granted some good creators have disappeared off the face of the planet, but it's not worth thinking about what happened to them.

• Like 1

Could we actually maybe get a lesbian comics writer to handle Batwoman now, instead of two men?

Eh, the two men were doing a nice job on the book.  That doesn't seem the problem.  I think the better solution would have been to keep the writers and get a lesbian editor (though the problems are probably coming down from the top, moreso than from the book's actual editor).

And from May to now:

7/9/2013 – Ales Kot is removed from Suicide Squad after two issues: "Since the solicitations for October’s DC titles came out, I was repeatedly asked if I am no longer writing Suicide Squad. Yes, Matt Kindt is writing SS #24 and I am no longer writing Suicide Squad. Matt’s “3 Story” is one of my favorite graphic novels I read in the last few years and I look forward to reading “Mind MGMT” when I finally find the time to buy the first hardcover collection, which you can find here. Matt Kindt is a very capable storyteller who is doing exciting things in the comics medium and I wish him great things. I killed my deadlines, I wrote my best, and I have no regrets whatsoever. Thank you for the ride, for your support, for everything."

7/27/2013 – Justin Jordan leaves Superboy: "Since you all have asked – still on New Guardians, and I did leave Superboy. Obviously, since I am still on NG, this was totally amicable."

8/9/2013 -  Kevin Maguire leaves Justice League 3000, causing book to be delayed to December: "Well, I don't want to make any big deal about it but I suppose I should say something. This is, as I tweeted, very humiliating. Obviously, I was looking forward to working on a fairly high profile book. I haven't had a top ten book since the 80s and I thought this would finally be my shot at doing one. But it's DC's book, it's their property, they can do whatever they want with it. They don't owe me anything. I've been told they wanted a book that was "dark and gritty", so I'm perplexed as to why they chose us for that. We did exactly the kind of book you would expect from us. Lots of action and humor. AND I turned down a Bendis X-Men project to do JL3K.

As for my doing other projects with DC, they offered me a four page story and a 10 page digital first story. They're paychecks, so I'm grateful for that, but they're no Justice League #1. I really don't want to do back ups and fill-ins for my career. So, right now, I'll do the four pager and then I think that'll be it for me and DC for a while. I've received some interesting offers from other companies. Marvel generously offered me an issue of a cool book, so I'm going to do that for now, then see what happens.

I was supposed to do Baltimore Comic Con next month with Giffen and DeMatteis, but I'll be canceling that for obvious reason. Apart from the fact that I no longer have a project to promote with them, Giffen's Newsarama quote, which I'm certain had no intended malice, still kinda stung.

That's it. That covers all I have to say about this. It'll be forgotten news by next week and we all move on with our lives."

Am I missing anymore?

Read the Death of Superman. It was...a fight. Its not bad or anything, but it didn't come off like the pic end to the Man of Steel that I think they wanted it to be. It was a bit bloated, being a least 3-4 issues longer than necessary, while the actual fight with Doomsday is nothing amazing. You never really get to learn anything about Doomsday either, and the build to the encounter itself was just kind of there. Its decent, but not a particularly great story. I can't help, but feel it could have all been done better. It felt very much more like the beginning of something rather than the end which makes the bloated length a little worse.

Read the Death of Superman. It was...a fight. Its not bad or anything, but it didn't come off like the pic end to the Man of Steel that I think they wanted it to be. It was a bit bloated, being a least 3-4 issues longer than necessary, while the actual fight with Doomsday is nothing amazing. You never really get to learn anything about Doomsday either, and the build to the encounter itself was just kind of there. Its decent, but not a particularly great story. I can't help, but feel it could have all been done better. It felt very much more like the beginning of something rather than the end which makes the bloated length a little worse.

It is. The fight and death are merely a lead in to "Funeral For A Friend" and "Reign of the Supermen" which are both fantastic.

I swear I'm gonna wake up one morning and find all this DC stuff to have been one long bad dream.

It's still 1985 and the Pre-Crisis Universe still exists.

I'd be happy to just go back before that awful Identity Crisis story came out.

It is. The fight and death are merely a lead in to "Funeral For A Friend" and "Reign of the Supermen" which are both fantastic.

this. i always found "Funeral for a Friend" to be the real shining point.