DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

So we are getting Five Years Later with 3D covers for this year's September event. Wonder Woman will be taken over by David Finch and his wife when Azzarello finishes. And my All Star Western is cancelled in May, just after Jonah finally returned to the past this month.

I just don't care much about the Five Years Later. I'm probably dropping Wonder Woman as I doubt DC will continue Azzarello's take and I know nothing about Finch's wife while on hearing bad things about Finch's writing.

The All Star Western news just disappoints me. I suppose I should have known it was coming, but from what I understand the book had managed to survive its last run with poor numbers so I was hoping for the same.

So I might be willing to actually check out a nu52 book but figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has any thoughts. Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino's Green Arrow seems to be getting a bit of praise, so anyone been reading it here? Worth checking out? And if so, would I be fine with just jumping in with Lemire's first issue? 

I'm reading the nu52 Green Arrow and I jumped on at the first Lemire book myself. I think it's a great read, I've been really enjoying it.

I had to jump off of Lemire's Green Arrow. It felt too much like an adaption of the show.

Hrm. I'll give the first TBP a shot. I've heard good things but I had also heard the whole incorporating things from the show. Green Arrow is just one of those characters that I've always wanted to read but has never really had a direction that I was horribly interested in except for maybe the OYL Judd Winick run.

Batman and Robin Vol. 2: Pearl (The New 52) collects Batman and Robin #0, #9-14. I read Batman and Robin #1-8 via Batman, a monthly UK magazine reprinting recent Batman stories. Batman and Robin #0 was the last story printed in the magazine until Batman and Robin #18 to at the time of this review, Batman and Two-Face #25. It was a pleasant surprise to find my library had this so I could read what I missed out on.

Batman and Robin #9 takes place during the Night of the Owls story in the Batman comic book written by Scott Snyder as Robin goes to protect a target, a General from the Court of Owls assassins, the Talons. It was a very good issue. Batman and Robin #10-12 sees Terminus and those hurt by Batman out to get revenge. Damian Wayne wants to prove to Nightwing, Red Hood and Red Robin that he’s the best Robin. I liked the dialogue between the four. This was a great story arc. In Batman and Robin #13-14, Batman and Robin have to contend with a Cult coinciding with a total solar eclipse. It was a good story with a touching ending. I really enjoyed this book.

I thought Peter J. Tomasi/Patrick Gleason’s start on the title was off the first two issues with the writing of Bruce Wayne/Damian Wayne. Since then, every issue I’ve liked (#0, #3-14, Annual #1, #18-25) and some were brilliant: Batman and Robin #0, Batman and Robin Annual #1, Batman and Robin #18 and Batman and Nightwing #23. Be nice to read the three issues from the series I’m missing.

I liked them. I actually thought  they brought the book back up to a certain quality after falling a bit with some interesting but rushed stories in volume two. Also thought they built up Snyder's ending better than Snyder's Batman issues.

I liked them. I actually thought  they brought the book back up to a certain quality after falling a bit with some interesting but rushed stories in volume two. Also thought they built up Snyder's ending better than Snyder's Batman issues.

Thank you, Eivion. Guessing you've read Batman and Robin #0 and Batman and Robin Annual #1? I recommend them if you haven't.

Oh I loved the annual. It hit a great emotional spot which I've noticed Tomasi to be best at after reading through his B&R and GLC. Dug the #0 issue. It was an interesting look at Damian's messed up relationship with Talia.

• Like 1

Oh I loved the annual. It hit a great emotional spot which I've noticed Tomasi to be best at after reading through his B&R and GLC. Dug the #0 issue. It was an interesting look at Damian's messed up relationship with Talia.

Two terrific issues. Liked the annual so much I read it again.

I can't imagine how much it must suck to be a Nightwing fan. "We did something major to the character but you're going have to wait a couple months to see the payoff but in the meantime keep buying his book!"

yeah, and the "something major" was revealed in Issue #1, and it is a big deal, but hasn't been followed up on since.

Oh, and Grayson's been tied to a chair for a bunch of issues. Oh, and now he's strapped in a bomb. Oh, and now Luthor stopped his heart.

granted, he's clearly not dead. this issue (#6) did not "reveal the final fate of nightwing" as advertised.

and it won't even be in HIS book, because it's cancelled.

x'hal! the entire thing's so frustrating. Johns hypes up Nightwing to be the best hero around (when the JL isn't available) and how he is a leader, and a rallying point. And then doesn't show it at all. Instead we get 6 issues of him doing........absolutely nothing. He seemingly didn't put up a fight when the CS grabbed him, and he hasn't had a singular moment of shine.

SO with Forever Evil #6 revealing who is under the Hood, is the big bad villain in the red clouds that the Syndicate is so afraid of going to be

Superboy Prime?

In what Universe would friggin Ultraman be afraid of Superboy Prime?  

Fables: The Dark Ages. Kind of surprised at how fast everything turned to shit for poor Fabletown especially after the fantastic victory over the Adversary. The new bad guy is interesting enough. Hated Boy Blue dying. He was one of the cooler and generally more interesting characters in the series so it really sucked to see him bite it so fast and not on some kind of high note. I did enjoy seeing the start of Rose Red's build for the next big hero of the series. Blue's final scene telling Rose off was at least good in the drama department. It dropped a good deal of much needed truth on the poor woman about her relationship with men. At the same time I sort of think Blue was bit wrong in his summations as I think Rose did care for him more than he thought. Anyways this was still a solid read on the whole even with this probably being the weakest volume I have read since the first one.

I read Batman #23, a monthly UK magazine collecting Batman #26, Batman and Two-Face #26 and Nightwing #24 in this order. Batman #26 continues Zero Year, Bruce Wayne becoming Batman as Bruce Wayne goes up against Doctor Death and we get more Bruce Wayne/Lieutenant Gordon interaction. This was an okay issue, the weakest from Zero Year.

Batman and Two Face #26 jumps between the past: the McKillen twins, Erin and Shannon to Harvey Dent to the present with Bruce Wayne/Erin McKillen and Wayne as his alter ego getting involved in the Two-Face/Erin McKillen rivalry. A very good issue, I’ve enjoyed this arc. Nightwing #24 concludes the Nightwing/Prankster/Tony Zucco storyline started back in Nightwing #19 with Nightwing’s arrival in Chicago. This too was a very good issue.

Nightwing #29 is the perfect ending to Higgins' run. very good issue that touches on pretty much everything that has happened up until now. the art is excellent, also.

VERY interested in the 1-2 punch that will be Forever Evil #7 and NW #30 next month to see where this leaves the character. as of right now, we don't even know if/where we can follow him.

Nightwing: Death of the Family. The DeFalco two-parter was on the weaker side of things. DeFalco wrote a pretty solid Grayson, but his Lady Shiva was bit terrible. His voice for her just didn't feel right at all, coming off as too awkward, and personally I don't like how gimmicked up she feels now. I particularly don't like the idea that she is now as young as Dick. That said DeFalco left things open/ambiguous enough that another writer could easily come in and do away with most of what he did. It honestly makes me think his issues were more than likely editorially driven.The tie in issues to DotF were solid enough though nothing too strong. I did like the epilogue issue with Damian comforting Dick. Unfortunately the final issue focusing on Dick after Damian's death didn't come off quite as well. Still perfectly solid, but Higgins doesn't seem to hit that emotional personal drama point as well as others can. Honestly you get a pretty decent feel reading Higgins' run that nothing likely went quite how he wanted. It feels like his Nightwing is being tied down by the weight of the franchise (crossovers, tie-ins) and that he can't quite get to tell his story. Its clear by the end of this that the Haley Circus stuff was meant to tie Dick down to Gotham so he could be more available for the bigger Batman stories which likely explains why Higgins tears it down completely by the end and readies Dick for a new place to journey in Chicago by the end. Decent read all in all.