DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I want tbe Tomb of Dracula prestige mini to be collected. I remember when it came out and how everyine in the Bullpen were eager to get their hands on it the week issue 1 dropped. The only thing I remember wanting more was the Viking Prince hardcover graphic album.

James

27 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I want tbe Tomb of Dracula prestige mini to be collected. I remember when it came out and how everyine in the Bullpen were eager to get their hands on it the week issue 1 dropped. The only thing I remember wanting more was the Viking Prince hardcover graphic album.

James

The Bo Hampton book?

I like Scolt Snyder’s writing quite a bit, but, at this point, I’m less interested in how Death Metal ends than that it just ends.  Soon..

I think I’m willing to slip the good guys a few bucks to take a dive and let the Batman Who Laughs pick up the W. Anyone with me?

The sad part is that is I’m a lot less interested in Future State....

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

What is everyone's opinion's on Mike Grell's Green Arrow?

I think his work is criminally underrated 

I liked it a lot. Granted, I am a fan of those 80s DC revamps in general as that was the point where I jumped on as a fan. The highlight is obviously Lowbow Hunters, but the ongoing title was good as well. I haven't read some of the other spinoff stuff. I remember there being quite a few parallels to Grell's work on Warlord and Jon Sable, as he tends to be the type of creator who is always writing the same kind of stories. Didn't they butcher the book one Grell left? I seem to recall they brought him back into the wider DC universe or something. 

• Like 1

I would wonder how some of the Dinah stuff has aged. What may have been seen as "mature storytelling" then might be viewed differently now (I don't know if it would be called fridging, since she didn't die.)

Edited by odessasteps

I mean... what happened to Dinah was so... It basically took a decade or more to rebuild her into a badass. Having a legit hero who can hold her own with a lot of the DC MA themed characters not be able to defend herself against some thugs is kinda... I dunno. It's one of those things DC kinda swept under the rug

James

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I would wonder how some of the Dinah stuff has aged. What may have been seen as "mature storytelling" then might be viewed differently now (I don't know if it would be called fridging, since she didn't die.)

What is the Dinah stuff?  I vaguely remember liking Longbow Hunters a lot and not caring for the book once Grell was off art, but I don't remember many of the specifics.  Google's not helping.  Apparently, the plot of Longbow Hunters had Dinah tied up by thugs and rescued by Oliver, who then kills her captors.  Was there more to it than that?

I might not have read much of the monthly.  For some reason, Grell and Jim Starlin writing works better for me when they're also doing interior art.

I still haven't read much of Grell's Warlord run.  I've always meant to get around to it but never have.  Going to see if it's ever been collected as soon as I post here.

The Last 52 War of the Multiverses

Spoiler

Lot more evil worlds. Nazi JSA, Parallax survived, Aquaman is some kinda pet of war, Evil Hero killer Lois, Evil Wally  with some half goldface with guns parodying HIC but good zombie Roy kills him.

Ther others are Evil Groblins, Monsters, Cenobites , Shadow DC characters, Green Lanterns ruled Earth world, the Dark Knights.

Captain Carrot, Pres Superman, Jim Lee Wonder woman survived their dead good 52 worlds.

Anyway the back up focuses  on other battles. Superman family  and evil Supermen vs Last 52 Holy Supermen and Zombie Sun Superman.

The Batman who Laughes evil body betrays Batman and still has his own mind. So I guess how he will survive but soul less or so.

Evil Atom Ryan Choi forces Good Ryan to grow as tall as Giant Man can because of some kinda wacky radiation. Anyway new batch of Metal Men have Golden Age Atom designs now.

Evil Titans.
Evil Penguins. Penguin becomes some kinda bird meta.
Evil Batman family.
Bunch of other stuff.

Edited by D.Z

6 hours ago, Eoae said:

What is the Dinah stuff?  I vaguely remember liking Longbow Hunters a lot and not caring for the book once Grell was off art, but I don't remember many of the specifics.  Google's not helping.  Apparently, the plot of Longbow Hunters had Dinah tied up by thugs and rescued by Oliver, who then kills her captors.  Was there more to it than that?

I might not have read much of the monthly.  For some reason, Grell and Jim Starlin writing works better for me when they're also doing interior art.

I still haven't read much of Grell's Warlord run.  I've always meant to get around to it but never have.  Going to see if it's ever been collected as soon as I post here.

She was tortured so badly that she was on the verge of death. It's implied that she was raped, but Grell denies this. He wrote a scene about it in the ongoing series where the subject is brought up during a therapy session. Due to the trauma, she loses her Canary Cry superpower. Later on, we discover that she cannot conceive due to the injuries she suffered.

Spoiler

She spends most of the ongoing series working in a florist shop waiting for Ollie to return from missions, though she does get involved in fighting every now and again. Most of the series revolves around Ollie's continuing midlife crisis. Things get messy when Shado accidently shoots Ollie in the chest and "seduces" him while nursing him back to health. She gets pregnant and Dinah finds out about the baby. Then she catches Oliver kissing a young teenager who had come into their lives, and finally she leaves him. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Eoae said:

The sad part is that is I’m a lot less interested in Future State....

does anybody give a shit about Future State? i'm not hearing people talk about it, i'm not seeing articles that look interesting, i just can't see any sort of interest in this.

At least with Convergence, they were using it to cover a coast-to-coast move, but what's the reasoning of disrupting all of your books for some shitty future story that isn't built up to, doesn't alter the books, and will obviously have zero lasting influence?  Hell, it was only 5 years ago that they tried this with Future's End, and the sales and reception for that were pretty poor IIRC.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:31 AM, odessasteps said:

I picked up the Grell Omnibus and it was a bit pricey ($105 ish) on Amazon but god it's worth it. So many extras plus the Longbow Hunters story and the first 50 Arrow comics that come after all in glossy paper artwork. 

For what it's worth I also picked up Batman Road to No Man's Land Omnibus.  What I don't like about DC is that they don't include the covers for the books inside the Omnibus. I believe the book contains the whole No Man's Land storyline but am not sure. Either way Once I finish the Grell book I will dive into the Batman. 

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I meant the viking prince book. 

There is a Viking Prince book? Is it the classic Joe Kubert stuff from The Brave & the Bold? That would be a must-have. The old B & the B with The Silent Knight & The Viking Prince was great stuff. I was given several issues by my older cousin, wish I still had them...