DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Most books are still using previous numbers, so not many new number ones besides Squad, TTA, Harley, Sen.Wonder Woman, Joker. Still small line for the main universe.

DC mentioned the shared universe is still connected, so that proves Rich wrong from Bleeding Cool about the omniverse theory. DC will be using the Infinite Multiverse again, so just labeling most alt worlds inside that multiverse.

Batman Superman will be about different versions of those two, with Yang writing Pulp versions first I think.

BATMAN-SUPERMAN-Cv16-copy.jpg?q=50&fit=c

The new era is Infinite Frontier.

Edited by D.Z
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Most books are still using previous numbers, so not many new number ones besides Squad, TTA, Harley, Sen.Wonder Woman, Joker. Still small line for the main universe.

DC mentioned the shared universe is still connected, so that proves Rich wrong from Bleeding Cool about the omniverse theory. DC will be using the Infinite Multiverse again, so just labeling most alt worlds inside that multiverse.

Batman Superman will be about different versions of those two, with Yang writing Pulp versions first I think.

BATMAN-SUPERMAN-Cv16-copy.jpg?q=50&fit=c

The new era is Infinite Frontier.

Cheers, @D.Z!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Epj3BYmUYAA40_7?format=jpg&name=medium

Bottom row: Harley Quinn and Batman.

Second row: is that Bluebird or a female Lobo? Barry Allen, Wally West, Damian Wayne, New Batman, Clark Kent Superman, Jon Superman.

Third row: Catwoman, Red Hood, Cyborg, Dr X, Aquaman.

Last row: Green Arrow, Black Canary, Booster Gold, Nightwing, Starfire, Raven, Jon Stewart, Alan Scott, Black Adam and Wonder Woman.

Left the ones I'm unsure on.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, D.Z said:

Solicts are out.

So Aquaman, Red Hood, Losh, JLD are axed. While Red Hood and Bat family show up in the new Batman urban book. JLD will carry on as a back up for JL.

Several main books have back ups now. And seems some characters from Futures State will carry over.

Can't  expect  new GL title until Morrisons run is over.

I like that they are going the route of backups to keep some variety. That said I kind of wish JLD stayed dead. I've liked the stuff I read of it fine so far, but it always feels better when those characters are on their own, only coming together in small groups and on occasion. 

Started reading Morrison's run this week, and I like it so far. 

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Second row: is that Bluebird or a female Lobo?

Lobo's daughter

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Third row:  Dr X

Red X from the New Teen Titans cartoon. It was a false villain identity for Robin, but in later seasons someone else took it on as a thief. Was never revealed who it was. Fans have actually been wanting to see the character brought in for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I like that they are going the route of backups to keep some variety. That said I kind of wish JLD stayed dead. I've liked the stuff I read of it fine so far, but it always feels better when those characters are on their own, only coming together in small groups and on occasion. 

Started reading Morrison's run this week, and I like it so far. 

Lobo's daughter

Red X from the New Teen Titans cartoon. It was a false villain identity for Robin, but in later seasons someone else took it on as a thief. Was never revealed who it was. Fans have actually been wanting to see the character brought in for years.

Thank you. I should've got Red X right as I watch Teen Titans GO!

Slayride. Detective Comics #826 (February 2007). Paul Dini’s the writer, Don Kramer’s the penciller. Tim Drake/Robin in a cruel twist of fate is a car captive of the Joker at Christmas time. This was a great one and done for that, Dini getting the balance of Joker’s sick humour and sadism right. Paul Dini’s Joker is in rarefied air with Grant Morrison’s take. Grant Morrison is definitely the best Batman writer ever. I’d have Paul Dini second with Frank Miller, Scott Snyder and Dennis O’Neil in my top five.

Edited by The Natural

The Black Superman is from the Multiversity mostly Black Hero's Earth. Not sure if all previous 52 Earths will be restored and maybe some characters will be transplanted to the main new Earth.

Batgirl will swap between back and forth Oracle and Batgirl. 

Wonder Woman seems hinted to become the new Spectre, but that could just be cover art. The Wonder Family will expand.

Wally West will be redeemed. They already retconned parts as Zooms fault plus mentall illness breakdown excuses the murders and the murders were accidents, Roys alive anyway.

Have to see what extra history gets restored, seems like the JSA is. So far seems nobody got rebooted again or hard rebooted.

Supermans Son Jon will be sticking around in present day.

The JL are lead by Green Arrow.  Wonder Womans mom replaces her daughter again in the JL.

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

I think the only reason I never read JLD is because it is such a stupid name. It sounds lime "Now your favorite JL characters smothered in dark chocolate and caramel!"

James

totally agree. if it would have lead to a slew of different teams, like JL: Dark, JL: Space, JL: Multiverse, then it would have made sense. But since that never happened, the name just sounds stupid. 

also, holy shit now i want a JL: Multiverse team that travels to different universes. Not unlike eXiles, now that i think about it. Sign me up!

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

totally agree. if it would have lead to a slew of different teams, like JL: Dark, JL: Space, JL: Multiverse, then it would have made sense. But since that never happened, the name just sounds stupid. 

also, holy shit now i want a JL: Multiverse team that travels to different universes. Not unlike eXiles, now that i think about it. Sign me up!

Adam Strange, Ultra the Multi-Alien, Capt. Comet, Starman, and Space Cabby. Howzat?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

f4a5111ce64c9c99a96abce06bef91ea._SX1280

I can't stop looking at this for all the wrong reasons.  The scaling is all over the map.  Is Lobo supposed to be a midget?  Is Starfire suddenly at least ten feet tall?  She's in a sitting position, but still appears to be taller than J'onn, who is standing.  And I hope Superman is standing at the top of the steps.

I forgot how ridiculous Guy Gardner's Warrior look was.  I don't even remember how they retconned that away, but glad they did.   Lol, Beau Smith claimed a lot of the Warrior look and powerset were editorially mandated to capitalize on the success of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.  Um, ok.  I don't see that much similarity but I'm not paid to try to sell comics starring second-tier characters (though Guy was very popular at one point.

Edit: Geoff Johns hand-waved Guy's half-alien DNA away in Rebirth without much of an explanation.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

SuperBoy Prime vs The Darkest Knight.

Spoiler

Interesting that most of the evil worlds have just Evil Supermen.  We see some Random worlds and some get changed by Superboys punches. The Darkest Knight tries to insert Superboy Prime into a good world with Heroes but Prime refuses. Superboy Prime does the right thing eventually because of Krypto and nullifies the evil worlds away with his Retcon Punches via beating up DK.

Anyway Prime dies and gets reborn with Krypto as his pet on Earth Prime with Laurie and the rest resetted and he saves some kid from being run over from a car with his powers.

I started working through Gene Colan's run on Batman. There aren't any classic stories, but I simply love Colan's artwork. I was enjoying the stories by Gerry Conway and Klaus Janson inking the pencils, but I just reached the point where they changed the writer and inker, and the artwork is nowhere near as good.

I also finished Transmetropolitan. Warren Ellis can be smug at times, and the humour didn't always wash with me, but overall it was an excellent series. And scarily prescient of the Trump administration. 

I've also started reading the 90s reboot of Starman. And I am continuing to enjoy Ennis' run on Hellblazer. 

I've been slowly making my way through Mark Waid's run on The Flash. At first, I couldn't understand what the hype was about as I preferred William Messner-Loebs' run on the title with its quirky cast of supporting characters. However, that arc where Barry Allen returns. That was a great story. So I'm glad I stuck with it. I have also been revisiting the 5 years later era of Legion of Superheroes, which I know a lot of people hate, but I've always loved those types of resets. Giffen's art hasn't aged that well, however.

• Like 1