DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

They still will carry on stories from this year. Possible they could simply move certain titles to other worlds, divorcing the shared universe and moving to another universe with plot and characters.  Or simply more Black Label books and non main line books being published. 

The omniverse is the collection of multiple multiverses. So every reality will be solid. 

• Like 1

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #6-10 (April to August 1990). Gothic is written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Klaus Janson. This story had good things going for it: a supernatural story different to the usual, a religious aspect, a glimpse of Bruce Wayne’s time at school and the banter between Alfred/Bruce. Also Klaus Janson is the penciller – he’s best known as a inker and colourist. Forgot to say how I really like how Batman spoke to the crime families inverting the Bat-Signal asking for his help.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Seems there will be some rules and structure going forward for post Death Metal DC, while everything will be in canon.

DC could however for example do :  one of Supermans book is set on pre crisis Earth 1 while Flash is modern Flash in his own universe in his own book.  I guess crossovers could be multiversal.

Or maybe not, just speculation.

Some titles will be relaunched, some not, also new books launched but also less books. I guess JLD and Legion and whatever else could be replaced.

Death Metal Infinite Hour Exxxtreme or so

The Batman who frags, yeah another Batman but it's Batman as Lobo. Lobo gets the Death Metal from Hawkman and creates his own heroes are Lobo land pocket universe and sends the Batman who frags there. Anyway Lobo's blood is key to something.

The Death Metal can rewrite history and remake the universe.

HawkMan

Wraps up the run. They will probably redo the entire mythos again post Death Metal.

Batman: Prodigal written by Doug Moench, Alan Grant and Chuck Dixon with numerous artists. Set shortly after Batman: Knighfall, Bruce Wayne passes the mantle of Batman to Dick Grayson with Tim Drake his Robin as he was to Bruce back in the day. The book was good but left me wanting more. I liked the dynamic between the dynamic duo, Dick questioning himself and a reference to Harvey Kent as Dent/Two-Face. That was Dent’s surname in his first appearance. There’s a cool set piece as Batman takes out a riot in Blackgate Penitentiary. Book needed more A list Batman baddies, just Two-Face. The Ratcatcher and the Tally Man are useless. Really hate how some artists draw horns on the shoulders of the cape of Dick Grayson. Only design it works for is Thomas Wayne’s Flashpoint Batman.

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Batman: Prodigal

good summary that i agree with. i started following current Bat-books a couple years after this. as a big Dick Grayson fam, i hunted down these back issues to see Dick ascend to the Batman mantle. Was left underwhelmed. a serviceable story but really just filled a void instead of feeling important. a bit of a let down, even if i do still own the actual issues.

i always liked how the "horns" on the cape looked. Agree that they don't particularly fit the character tho.

16 hours ago, twiztor said:

good summary that i agree with. i started following current Bat-books a couple years after this. as a big Dick Grayson fam, i hunted down these back issues to see Dick ascend to the Batman mantle. Was left underwhelmed. a serviceable story but really just filled a void instead of feeling important. a bit of a let down, even if i do still own the actual issues.

i always liked how the "horns" on the cape looked. Agree that they don't particularly fit the character tho.

Good knowing we're the same on Batman: Prodigal. Cheers, mate.

• Like 1

The Superman villain Dominus is back in Generations, splitting reality again like he did back in 1998.  Super Boy Kal El is part of the  Generations team.

Vixen has a new book.

Next month leaked solicts should spoil post Death Metal DC

Edited by D.Z

On 11/9/2020 at 1:48 PM, D.Z said:

Seems there will be some rules and structure going forward for post Death Metal DC, while everything will be in canon.

Some titles will be relaunched, some not, also new books launched but also less books.

is it odd if i hope that Nightwing gets cancelled and/or relaunched? as i've mentioned numerous times before, Dick Grayson is my #1 favorite comics character.  I'm quite ready to quit buying monthly floppies, but the completionist in me won't let me stop mid-series. Nightwing is the last one i'm stuck on. if the horrible "Ric" storyline didn't get me to stop, nothing will.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 4:34 AM, twiztor said:

is it odd if i hope that Nightwing gets cancelled and/or relaunched? as i've mentioned numerous times before, Dick Grayson is my #1 favorite comics character.  I'm quite ready to quit buying monthly floppies, but the completionist in me won't let me stop mid-series. Nightwing is the last one i'm stuck on. if the horrible "Ric" storyline didn't get me to stop, nothing will.

Fair play to you for hanging on to Nightwing, @twiztor. DC Rebirth started great for Dick Grayson but the Ric stuff sounds horrible made worse for the length it's gone on for.

Some Nightwing, JL, and Death Metal spoliers.

Spoiler

Dick's very much Dick again and done with Bea and is leading the JL in JL.

Sinestro burned out his ultraviolent power ring.

Castle Bat becomes Bat Castle Man who's made out of stuff that can beat heroes, anyway Luther stops it. 

Lady P is destroying Earth 49 and the Darkest Knight arrives to destroy her.

Luther plans to save whatevers left. Unknot the timeline and restore all memories. We learn Batman is dead and the ring is keeping him alive, and Superman is stuck with becoming Darkseid.

Superman teams up with villians and heroes to destroy the Earth, to lessens the Darkest knights hold on things.   Batman revives more undead heroes even Dove, 90s fate, Condor, more JSA, Airwave Hal Jordan etc. Another panel suggest even previous counterparts and other universe counterparts are there too.

Evil DC HEROES ARRIVE sent by the Darkest Knight, all their evil Earths vs the Prime Earth.

Edited by D.Z

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Batman/Catwoman #1 preview by Tom King/Clay Mann.

I have mixed feelings about this Batman/Catwoman series. Tom King is very, very hit and miss, usually miss. I really didn't like the vast majority of King's Batman run. The bad dialogue, the Bat/Cat thing, ugh. The wedding not going through in Batman #50. Batman Annual #2 and especially Batman Annual #3 are great. I'd like to thank @Matt D for recommending Batman Annual #3 by tagging me in his book review as I wouldn't have read it. Heroes in Crisis is terrible. Vision is one of the best comic books I've ever read. I want Phantasm to be done justice coming from the excellent Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) and taking too long to debut in the DC Universe Comic Books. Wish somebody else was writing that. Grant Morrison and Paul Dini come straight to mind. So as you can see, mixed feelings. Least you're getting great art by Clay Mann.

I feel like Tom King gets a bad rap.  Batman's been up and down, though for me, it's mostly been up.  A lot of outstanding single issues and a lot of good character work.  I feel like King does his best work with shorter books.  A regular monthly gig that's going to go on for years and not have a definitive ending isn't really his thing, and he's only tried that a few times.  IMO, his best works have been self-contained single-issue stories and limited series.  I loved Mr. Miracle, Omega Men, Vision, and Sheriff of Babylon.  Strange Adventures seems like a winner so far.

I didn't love Heroes in Crisis, but I thought it had a lot to recommend it.  The actual scripting was solid.  I wasn't a fan of the way it gaslighted readers with false leads and it necessarily required several characters (Wally) to act way out of character.  Given the way Joshua Willamson retconned HiC in Flash, I'm curious if that was the plan all along or if the Zoom connection was spitballed later to retcon bad story ideas and rehabilitate the characters.  I also don't know if Wally's heel turn was King's idea or editorial's.

There's a lot of stuff I personally like about his Batman run that hasn't gone over with the larger audience.  The War of Jokes and Riddles, for example.  I haven't minded the Cat/Bat romance except that it's probably unworkable for both characters in the long run.  It's a no-win situation for King.  If he splits them up, he'll take flak from fans.  If he puts them together for good (which is basically the direction he's gone so far), editorial will probably have the next writer blow them up.  I didn't mind the non-wedding except that Selina calling it off didn't seem organic.  I would have preferred it be presented as a compatibility issue between the couple, not overly-complicated super villain plot #113,034.

Looking forward to Rorschach and Bat/Cat.

Edited by Eoae
typos

I actually finished up King's run last month. Overall it was ok. I think he needed stronger editorial (people who told him no more) and to take both more and less time with some of his arcs. I actually thought the Catwoman stuff was easily the highlight of his run, but I also like Bruce and Selina as a couple. He made it work well which is why the non-wedding was such tremendous bs that pissed people off. Honestly, if they didn't go that far with the bait and switch I think his run would have taken less shit even with its issues. Trying to take Bane into prominence again was a nice idea, but he overshadowed it with the focus on Thomas. I think King would have been better off just using one of the two. Things like killing Alfred & what they did to Dick were also just completely unnecessary. In the case of Dick I thought it was especially asinine and a massive finger to his fans. Taking Batman, Mr. Miracle, Grayson, & Vision into account I'm still not sure how I feel about King. I feel like DC gave him a bit too much freedom with such a major character in Batman before he was probably ready for it, at least as far as being on his own. Stuff like Vision & Mr. Miracle also feel liek they are stories better left out of continuity though in the case of Marvel they seemingly made it work well for them. Whatever the case King is a writer who at least holds my interest when it comes to his books.

Forgot to mention I finished up the first volume of Tynion's run. Its rather surprising he was only supposed to be a fill-in as he builds off of King's work well while building up his own interesting big story.