DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Updating my document comprising my comic book reviews, I found some Batwoman ones I'd not posted here unlike the others. Time to rectify that:

52 (2006) #28, #30, #33-34, #36, #47-48 and #52. In 2011, I read Batwoman: Elegy thanks to my library. A brilliant book so I asked to have my own copy for Christmas 2011 and is in my top ten of forty best Batman books. I went on to borrow 52 collecting #1-13 to read Batwoman’s debut and her relationship with Renee Montoya. Years later I’ve now read the bolded 52 issues at the start of this review. There’s a prophecy of an occult, the Religion of Crime that Batwoman will died. Renee Montoya and Nightwing alert her to it. I really liked seeing this Batwoman again as she started out with her appearance changed for Batwoman: Elegy, interacting with Renee and Nightwing giving her an official Batarang. The slight Batwoman costume tweaks from Batwoman: Elegy on are better but I prefer how she appears in her civilian identity here. Kate’s so pale in her revamped look.

Batwoman (2011) #0 co-written by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman, Williams III and Amy Reeder artists. Beyond a Shadow. This was a great issue about Bruce Wayne/Batman back from Final Crisis/Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne assessing whether Katherine Kane is Batwoman and her skill levels. She isn’t aware of this. Bonus marks for Bruce Wayne in disguise doing this and “Wearing this wig reminds me that if Kane is Batwoman, she must wear one too. It’s the simple disguises that work best like Clark and his glasses.”

Batwoman (2011) #1-5 co-written by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman, Williams III is the artist. Hydrology. Kids are either missing or dead. Batwoman investigates. This was a good opening arc involving Kate Kane and Maggie Sawyer, Batman offering an invite to Batwoman to join Batman, Incorporated and fallout from Batwoman: Elegy with the DEO, Department of Extranormal Operations investigating.

Batwoman (2011) #6-11 co-written by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman, Amy Reeder and Trevor McCarthy are the artists in To Drown The World. Batwoman looks into Medusa as part of the missing and murdered children. This was a mess, the narrative not helped by the non-linear storytelling and the art is a big step down as well. The worst story of this creative team without question.

The Batman Adventures Continue #3-6 is written by Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Ty Templeton’s art in Mentors. Deathstroke has an interest in Batman’s protégés, Barbara Gordon/Batgirl and Tim Drake/Robin. A very good story as Batman’s aware of Deathstroke’s ulterior motives wanting the Bat’s enterprise/assists. Story carries on that someone is spying on the Bat-Family knowing who they really are behind the cowls and masks.

The Batman Adventures Continue #7-8 is written by Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Ty Templeton’s art in The Darkest Knight. Different characters are after a sacred shawl – to return it or to steal it. One such character debuts in this continuation of The New Batman Adventures, Azrael. This was a great story for the shawl search and the interactions between Batman and Azrael recognizing each other from their shared past and how belief can help or hinder. I enjoyed this take on Azrael. One more thing, Joker makes his first appearance in the series and thankfully is sporting his Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker flashback look despite the series taking place in TNBA.  I prefer nearly all the character designs in Batman: The Animated Series to TNBA. Joker was especially done dirty in the latter.

DC Future State tie in books for two months

JL Dark - Ram V and Marcio Takara
Swamp Thing: Obsidian Son - Ram V and Mike Perkins
Catwoman - Ram V & Otto Schmidt
Superman - Philip Kennedy Johnson and Mikel Janin
House of El - Philip Kennedy Johnson and Scott Godlewski

Green Lantern

Spoiler

Implied Anti Matter Hal is gay for gay Anti Matter Sinestro. The Anti Matter CSA shows up in panel again.

JLO 

Spoiler

The time rewriting gets stopped. The New God Cyborg dies with the Green Lantern Cruz. They saved everyone and people go boom tubing to where they wanna go. And Darkseid is back on Apokolips powered up again. Cyborg and Starfire step into their boom tube and and land into Death Metal morphed Earth, which ties into the JL book.

Fear for Sale, Detective Comics #571 (February 1987) is written by Mike W Barr, Alan Davis/Paul Neary the artists. Batman and Robin (Jason Todd) encounter the Scarecrow with a new drug. Said drug differ to the usual as it withdraws fear. It’s a dark tale, the fears of Batman and Robin while someone jumps from a tall building killing himself. I have a soft spot for the issue as it was one of the first Batman stories I ever read so that helps its standing.

The Eye of the Beholder, Batman Annual #14 (March 1990). Andrew Helfer is the writer, Chris Sprouse the artist. Set in the early days of Batman and Captain Gordon, they recruit District Attorney Harvey Dent for indictments to stick. I enjoyed the story and the aforementioned time period it takes place in. The story acts as Harvey Dent’s origin, a tragic one showing trauma in his past by mistreatment from his father in “a game” and the impact of it before the acid attack. Heartbreaking ending too. You can see influences on later Two-Face stories in Batman: The Animated Series (the other side to Dent), The Long Halloween and The Dark Knight. There is a misstep as Harvey’s wife conveniently wishes to give her husband the now scarred coin from his abusive father and earlier when he murders Dr. Kempler as Dent.

Batman: Prey, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #11-15 (September 1990-February 1991). Writer: Doug Moench, Artists: Paul Gulacy and Terry Austin. Set in the early stages of Batman’s career, he’s to content with psychiatrist Dr Hugo Strange trying to work out the man underneath the cowl and a GCPD task force to stop the vigilante. I enjoyed this story because I like seeing superheroes beginnings – learning through inexperience, Dr Strange’s observations are mostly accurate and how Captain Gordon/Batman are trying to help each other as they need one another despite things working against them including the Night Scourge. I also liked how the Bat-symbol came to fruition.

EkY3ikrWkAAXPX6?format=jpg&name=medium FS_SSQ_Cv1-scaled.jpg?ssl=1

The infinte multiverse is coming back.  Anyway tons of books.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-future-state-titles-creators/?amp=1

"March, the regular DC title lineup resumes with the numbering of existing series in-tact, "continuing existing storylines from 2020 and introducing new arcs for the year." "

Edited by D.Z

Other non Future State books were listed as well. Batman/Catwoman, Batman black and white etc.

We will see what they wil do with the regular DC universe after Future State. I'm only expecting changes to the past.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:33 PM, D.Z said:

Other non Future State books were listed as well. Batman/Catwoman, Batman black and white etc.

We will see what they wil do with the regular DC universe after Future State. I'm only expecting changes to the past.

Hopefully,  Virtually nothing about Future State looks interesting to me, so I'm probably not going to pick up and DC books those months.  

The Batman Adventures Continue #9-14 is written by Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Ty Templeton’s art in Red Son Rising. This basically acts as a retelling of Batman: A Death in the Family and Batman: Under the Red Hood covered in The New Batman Adventures paint job as Jason Todd/Red Hood is introduced to the DACU continuity. I still really liked the story even though it’s a redo of the aforementioned ones. The flashbacks show Jason Todd’s Robin had issues going further in his attacks on Batman’s rogues gallery including shooting Killer Croc with a gun. Good seeing Batman in his Batman: The Animated Series costume in these flashbacks. Bruce, Alfred came to the realization that Jason’s Robin dished out additional punishment to enemies, those actions are also noted by Commission Gordon, the Gotham City Police Department and Bats’ baddies. I appreciated Sid the Squid’s cameo. I liked the nod and wink to the audience as Tim Drake says “That’s practically my story too!” with how his and Jason Todd’s origins as similar. Comic book fans and the people behind The New Batman Adventures said that. There’s a cool Easter Egg to It! (1990 and 2017) as Jason Todd’s Red Hood in a sewer grate says “Expecting to see a clown? Well I’ve got one of those down here too.”

Edited by The Natural

Dark Nights Death Metal, Rise of the New God:

The Chronicler restores Metron back to life.  Before the DCU dies...

In the Green Lantern backup..The Bleed is dying. Maybe the next version of the multiverse will operate on vibrating frequencies and other pre crisis ways to cross other Earths. Only few heroes are left from the nu 52 multiverse.

Superman/Batman:

Composite Superman is now AI and formed its own body in the current DC universe. Guess this replaces any of his other old origins.

Edited by D.Z

Seems DC will move to using the omniverse or so Bleeding cool says. Everything will matter and take place where it can. Also the limited multiverse use ban Didio had is no longer in effect.

Edited by D.Z

The DC omniverse rumors sound interesting, but unwieldy.  Basically, it seems like everything will be in canon but writers will be free to stay faithful to continuity or not.  DC seems to be trying to encourage more freedom in storytelling by letting writers write whatever they see fit, without editor or publisher interference.  Supposedly, this is going to lead to editors being hands off.  No one is going to be telling writers that they can't use Batman in their books, or that the story they pitched retcons Final Crisis, or that they can't use a character in their book because that character is dead, changed, went evil, is being used in Wonder Woman, etc.

Basically, DC continuity will be merged with Elseworlds.  It's an interesting approach, but I have no idea how this plays out in reality without seeming chaotic or unorganized.  I don't dislike the idea, but I wonder if anyone thought about it for more than three min.  Or, if the plug is so close to being pulled on the comics division as we know it, that it doesn't matter much in the long run.

Supposed to be a Rebirth-style book in the Spring to explain all this so we'll see.

Edited by Eoae