DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I've really enjoyed Josh Williamson's Flash run, but I don't know how I feel about

Spoiler

Zoom being able to screw with the Flash family by "Inception-ing" them.  The new issue has Zoom revealing that he's spent the past few years running around and planting dumb ideas in the speedsters' heads by talking to them super-fast (basically, he now has the ability to plat subliminal messages in people's minds).  It was Zoom that caused Jay's mid-life crisis, that caused Barry and Wally and the other speedsters to fall out, that caused Bart to run away.  It was also Zoom that gave Batman and Barry the idea to keep the Watchman button investigation a secret.  And, it was Zoom that gave Wally the idea to panic and cover-up what had happened in Heroes in Crisis.

One the one hand, it's a good way to clean up some awful character development decisions.  On the other hand, it makes Zoom out to be too much of a boogeyman.  He didn't really need the extra push to give his conflict with Barry pathos.   And, it's a convenient deus ex machina way to redeem a couple characters (Wally).   I'm still wondering if this way planned from the beginning or if Williamson and editorial came up with it to hand wave away decisions like Hero in Crisis that tanked badly.

Beyond that, I feel like it's a fairly wonky idea that Zoom can run around and talk to multiple speedsters on multiple occasions without Flash, Jay, Bart, etc. realizing he was there.  I've always assumed the speedsters had the ability to process sensory data at super speed too.  Not sure the comics have ever explained it like that, but the characters wouldn't be able to run at super speed, much less fight each other, if they couldn't.  Otherwise, they'd plow through every cat, dog, car, person, and beach ball that got in their path.

First misstep in a very good run, though.  Although, it's probably time to take Zoom off the canvas for awhile. Williamson has used him a lot.

Also this week

Spoiler

Dick Grayson finally got his memory back. I was fine with them trying the storyline - I liked Nick Spencer's Cap run, after all - but the execution was never there.

Some stuff of note from released Dec 2020 Solicitations:

Aquaman back in the JL

Teen Titans endless winter special has Donna and Beast Boy appearing as members.

Superboy Prime face turn...?

Mark Waid back with DC.

Batman beyond is finished, final issue.

• Like 1

Doesn't seem there will be a relaunch or further new books. Creative teams will change though. Have to wait until next year to see.

Batman Who Laughs, Kull, Robin King, and so on will be surviving the event post Death Metal. The new DC universe will probably be filling in more pre flashpoint history, and other previous eras.

Some form of multiverse will exist, probably all of them. Dunno.

After a decade, they never did manage to make any compelling argument for why they regressed Babs to such a less interesting role, so I hope Oracle is back to her permanent state.

I'd love to see Steph written by BQM again, regardless of what costume she is wearing. Still one of my all-time favorite books.

I thought they meant DC will be carrying on mostly the Nu52/Pre Death Metal mishmash Batman history for this new universe with Cass becoming Batgirl soon post Death Metal.  

In DC news:

Jim Lee said

"There won't be a project called '5G', or a big reboot, or whatever," Lee says. "We really want to focus on individual titles, and organically build up individual characters over the course of the next year."

Anyway: most of 5G just only exists in few parts now like DC Generations Shattered or the new black Batman getting his own mini series or Wonder Woman's career starting from the Golden Age.

Debooting or adding some history stuff back in doesn't really count as rebooting. And the new universe concept is probably also similar to how Marvel created a new universe post Secret Wars with very similar history.

Seems there will be no big relaunch with all the numbers restarting. 

Batman: Dark Victory #0-13 (November 1999-December 2000) written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Tim Sale. There’s a killer who has hanged police officers known as the Hangman. This was one of the few big Batman books I’d not read before and considering I read Batman: The Long Halloween a long time ago, I have it second only to Batman: Year One. This was a really good book for returning to the early years of Batman’s crusade against crime while retelling how Dick Grayson becomes Robin. There’s a great sequence with Grayson and Alfred in Master Wayne’s parents’ bedroom and a flashback to young Bruce there with Alfred showing the similarities between then, murder of parents and what’s said. I also like how the Long Halloween has affected characters, The Long Halloween is definitely the better book though.

Edited by The Natural

DC spoilers from several books

Speed Metal:

Spoiler

Wally outraced the Darkest Knight and his Black Flashes and got the Mobius Chair back, and wore red briefly again. And Wally and most of the flash family reunites and patch up things.

Batgirl: 

Spoiler

James Gordon Jr dies

The Flash

Spoiler

Thawne got resetted, so he is good and normal now and back in the future. Nobody in the future knows Professor Zoom's real I.D. anymore.