DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

It's a little dated now, but I did stand that the best pairings for the Batfamily, regardless of what names each have, are:

Dick/Damian

Tim/Cassandra

Bruce/Stephanie

Pains me that Grant Morrison said he wanted to write Dick Grayson/Batman and Damian Wayne/Robin for five years. Grateful for what we had though, best thing to come from Morrison's amazing Batman run. 

I liked Morrison's run. I own the vol 1 and 2 omnibus books so whatever is in them is what I am going off of.  Vol 3 comes out next week and includes the complete Batman Inc run that he did.  Thinking of getting it on Amazon to complete his run. 

I always loved Tim Drake, he was an essential part of some of the best Batman arcs ever Knightfall, No Mans Land/Contagion/Legacy and the first Robin to get their own comic.  Seeing him on the backburner hurt. 

• Like 1

The Red Robin ongoing from the Batman Reborn thru Flashpoint time period is really good too.

(Honestly, Batman Reborn wound up being pretty much my favorite Bat time period ever. Red Robin was really good, Batman & Robin was phenomenal, Batwoman had her run in 'Tec that was great, and Batgirl was my absolute favorite book on the stands for the two years it existed. My only real complaint was the lack of Cassandra.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Red Robin ongoing from the Batman Reborn thru Flashpoint time period is really good too.

(Honestly, Batman Reborn wound up being pretty much my favorite Bat time period ever. Red Robin was really good, Batman & Robin was phenomenal, Batwoman had her run in 'Tec that was great, and Batgirl was my absolute favorite book on the stands for the two years it existed. My only real complaint was the lack of Cassandra.)

Me too. Batman Reborn also included Batman: The Black Mirror, by far Scott Snyder's best Batman story and Paul Dini's Streets of Gotham. Red Robin was written by Christopher Yost, such an underrated comic book writer. Yost wrote Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2), Avenging Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team-Up and New Warriors (2014). Nobody writes the Superior Spider-Man as well as Yost does. What a period, Batman Reborn.

Edited by The Natural

I had a teacher in high school who was named Chris Yost.  He was a younger guy and was cool as fuck. He made a bet with a kid that if the kid got a B or higher he would shave his head.  The kid got a B and Mr. Yost shaved his head and kept it that way to this day.  He looks identical to Stone Cold Steve Austin too.    When I was a Junior I won a contest with the TV news and got to go to a Sabres-Maple Leafs game in a limo and have box seats. I had to bring an adult and 3 friends. The adult I picked was Mr. Yost.   On the way home he drank the beer and hit on the newscasters girlfriend in the Limo.  Was epic!

Anyhow I loved the Red Robin books just as I loved the original Robin comic.  Something that should have never been shelved.  At a time when everyone had their own book including Damian and Jonathan Kent, why could we not have a solo series for Tim?

• Like 1

My thought for a while now is that the main two companies world eventually move to publishing more non-continuity OGNs/events rather than constantly publishing a large, single continuity line of monthly comics. That’s practically what they do now with all the restarts and events and writers ignoring whatever they find inconvenient.

Finished re-reading Jamie Delano's Animal Man run last night.  Think I read parts of it before when it was released.  Don't think I had read the whole run until last week.

It was... interesting.   On the one hand, it might be in my bottom 10 of mainstream superhero runs.  On the other hand, Delano is clearly a better writer than most comics' writers (esp. in the early 90's) and he apparently accomplished what he was trying to do. so.... Yay?

Mostly, I'm just impressed with how experimental the book is.  It's the sort of thing no editor would greenlight today.  Although, that's my problem.  I don't think it should have been greenlit in the early 90's.  Animal Man was a mainstream all-ages title at the time.  It started carrying a "mature readers" label a couple issues in and became a Vertigo title a short time later.  It's hard to believe that Tom Peyer (editor on the book at the time) looked at what Delano was doing and thought it would do well commercially.

The run is so very, very weird.  Buddy Baker's son falls in with a relative who's a serial killer, Buddy dies (gets run over in the street) and is reborn as a nonhuman animal-like creature with Baker's consciousness.  Then he starts a cult and gets into an open marriage (which is sorta bestiality).  That's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.  There's also a pro-LQBQ message, which was very forward-thinking for a comic book in the early 90's.    

The weirdness is on-brand for Vertigo and fringe DC books of the time.  I mean, Morrison's run on Animal Man a couple years earlier was rather strange, and Milligan's short stint was equally out there.  And this is roughly the same time period when Morrison made Doom Patrol kinda successful by being over-the-top.  Editors were clearly looking for this, and were willing to give writers a lot of leeway.  Also, horror books had done well for DC in the years previous (Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Sandman, etc.).  There was obviously a market for gonzo horror interpretations of DC properties, particularly if they were written by British writers.

I feel like the real problem is that Delano sort of deliberately (?) deconstructs Morrison's run.  Grant had a vision of Buddy as a likable everyman surrounded by a refreshingly normal suburban family.  Delano goes the other way with his run.  No one is really likable.  Buddy becomes an aloof messiah-type (cult leader).  His wife, Ellen, becomes a shrew, gets arrested for prostitution (mistakenly), and drifts into a lesbian relationship.  The son, Cliff, becomes enamored of a strange relative who's obviously a sociopath/psychopath grooming Cliff to follow in his footsteps (Cliff reluctantly goes along when Uncle Dudley eggs him on to beat animals to death and such).  On and on and on. None of the characters are particularly likable or sympathetic and the established characters undergo radical personality transformations that probably alienated long-time fans.  I much preferred Morrison's take on the Bakers and was kinda turned off by where Delano went with them.

I dunno.  It's an interesting run.  I really don't recommend the run, but I'd be interested in sitting down with Delano or Tom Peyer to discuss the book.  I feel like  it's more interesting to discuss than it is to read.  I do know several people who think it's brilliant, so I'd say its worth reading just for the experience.  It's probably one of the more polarizing superhero comic runs I've come across.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Damian

Spoiler

Damian killed Brother Blood and can't get over Alfred's death. So he gives up being Robin.

Flash

Spoiler

Jesse Quick and Max are back. Inertia is stuck in the speed force. The final battle will be Zoom and more Flash villians vs the Flash Family.

3 Jokers...not really spoilers but about its placement in continuity:

Spoiler

The 3 Jokers universe seems to be in its own universe and is loose canon to main, certain parts will make their way to the main ongoings later on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re-reading Preacher and it seems even more relevant now in 2020 than it did in the mid-90's when it was written.  Jesse's "Hold God Accountable" mindset has always resonated with me.  My faith has  never been that strong despite being part of four generations of catholic school kids and being raised by a mother who went to church almost every day and insisted her kids only go to Catholic universities.  Since the pandemic started and our family was forced to livestream mass instead of attend, I've wondered a lot what the point of praying to a deity that could stop a worldwide pandemic but won't is.  It's kinda fascinating to look at Jesse's sense of faith and right and wrong through the prism of coronavirus.  

And, of course, Preacher's a loopy trip unless you're easily offended.  I don't really dig Ennis' penchant for boundary-pushing weirdness as much now as I used to.  I got over antiheroes and Ennis' thing for unlikable characters a long time ago (though i still quite enjoy Ennis' writing on the whole).

For an even loopier time, the wife and I are also rewatching the Preacher tv adaptation.  I didn't intend to plow through both versions of Preacher at the same time.  My wife noticed I was re-reading the comic, got bored one night, and decided to stream season 1 of Preacher on demand.  We just finished season one of the tv.  I'm starting the "Salvation" tpb this weekend.

I've seen Preacher TV before but never the early seasons.  Jumped on with season 3 when it aired on AMC.  Kinda interesting to compare with the comic and also the later seasons of the tv show.

Edited by Eoae

DC retcons and changes to reality spoilers:

Spoiler

Flash:

Thawne's negative speedforce gives him the ability to make people do the wrong thing. So Wally covering up the accidents in HIC part was Thawne's suggestion. And so many other recent moments in time like Wallace West in Teen Titans being aggressive.

JLO:

Apokolips is back thanks to Darkseid and reborn with time editing. All the ghost worlds go back to where they used to be and Sepulkore ceases to exist. And there are now 2 Cyborgs and Jessica's, and Azbats and Starfire are back to default.

As months go by....DC series will start to match up more with some exceptions.

13 hours ago, D.Z said:

DC retcons and changes to reality spoilers:

Hide contents

Flash:

Thawne's negative speedforce gives him the ability to make people do the wrong thing. So Wally covering up the accidents in HIC part was Thawne's suggestion. And so many other recent moments in time like Wallace West in Teen Titans being aggressive.

JLO:

Apokolips is back thanks to Darkseid and reborn with time editing. All the ghost worlds go back to where they used to be and Sepulkore ceases to exist. And there are now 2 Cyborgs and Jessica's, and Azbats and Starfire are back to default.

As months go by....DC series will start to match up more with some exceptions.

Wait

Spoiler

is Azrael back to pre-Flashpoint version then? Also how and why are there two Cyborgs and Jessicas?

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wait

Reveal hidden contents

is Azrael back to pre-Flashpoint version then? Also how and why are there two Cyborgs and Jessicas?

Spoiler

Restored versions are their months before versions backed up and time spliced, but as if nothing happened these last months. They still retain the memories of what happened but the events no longer exists. However one Cyborg is still a new god and one Jessica is still Omega Effect powered. AzBats is still post nu52 sorry.

ReCPHIDc_Kbv10pFrPna3orjYxcFDBDoBjBcbZbK8DyjGgq_aKDDgbj_NBXDIeb1Vv8g_E9wXMVaXGrC

ILfOslUbfmAoAKw9A9wrKC_dNW0DnEfsWddNLBay

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

Tales from the Dark Multiverse books for COIE, War of the Gods, Dark Nights Metal. The Dark COIE version replaces Kal L with Jor L.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-events-crisis-on-infinite-earths-and-more-get-infected-by-the-dark-multiverse-in-december/

Other news....Walmart will selll book packs instead of Giants now, at least one book is new and takes place in the Wonder Woman movie verse.

And DC plans to be more diverse globally in content.