DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Glad to hear you are enjoying GA.  Natural would probably tell you skip the Rebirth run as he wasn't a fan of King's Batman. I haven't finished it myself though i can say its been a general mixed bag with some really good-great stuff mixed in with some bad ideas and/or bad execution of solid ideas. I've liked it well enough, but it should have been better. Before you read it though I would suggest checking out Snyder's Batman run first if you haven't read it yet. It comes before the Rebirth run.

I've read a good bit of the new 52 stuff. I probably should complete it before moving on. Trying to make it to present day.  Have big hopes for the Joker War storyline.  Whatever happened to Tim Drake though? I heard he was in young justice but has he came back to the bat books yet?

Last Time Drake story I read was Tynion's Detective Comics run. That was quite good though Tim disappeared for a while in that one. I want to say the Joker War stuff is making use out of most of the Batfamily regulars, but I'm behind.

17 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

hey buddy,

been reading the Green Arrow rebirth series. Pretty damn good so far, then I am going with Batman rebirth. Was thinking of reading Batman issue 1 and going through current but damn would it be time consuming and I just re-read Knightfall-Troika   and  all the Morrison stuff already

Hi, buddy. Glad you've read Grant Morrison's 2006-2013 Batman run, best comic book run I've read that.

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

Glad to hear you are enjoying GA.  Natural would probably tell you skip the Rebirth run as he wasn't a fan of King's Batman. I haven't finished it myself though i can say its been a general mixed bag with some really good-great stuff mixed in with some bad ideas and/or bad execution of solid ideas. I've liked it well enough, but it should have been better. Before you read it though I would suggest checking out Snyder's Batman run first if you haven't read it yet. It comes before the Rebirth run.

You've read my mind, @Eivion. Thank you. That would be my assessment of Tom King's Batman Rebirth run. My biggest feeling from it was one of disappointment more so coming from the Vision (2015) #1-12 as that's terrific. I didn't like how Batman was written, the repeated dialogue, how other characters were written/used, and the amount of filler issues. I will recommend Batman Annual #2 and Batman Annual #4 by Tom King. #2 is very good and #4 is great. I'd have missed out on the latter as a detractor of Tom King's Batman run. I thank @Matt D for recommending it to me. These show King can do Batman stories worth reading which makes his run frustrating. Batman Annual #3 by Tom Taylor is a must read. I read that online and bought a physical copy such was my enjoyment. Rebirth Batman era wasn't kind to Batman unlike the New 52 with Batman, Batman Incorporated and Batman and Robin.

11 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I've read a good bit of the new 52 stuff. I probably should complete it before moving on. Trying to make it to present day.  Have big hopes for the Joker War storyline.  Whatever happened to Tim Drake though? I heard he was in young justice but has he came back to the bat books yet?

I second Eivion's recommendation of Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo's Batman run, that's one to read from beginning to end. If you're after certain arcs than the whole thing, let me know. Have you read Batman: The Black Mirror? That's before the New 52 Snyder/Capullo run. To this day it's Snyder's best Batman book with Dick Grayson as Batman.

Last Tim Drake story I read was the opening arc of Detective Comics Rebirth by current Batman writer James Tynion IV.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Looks like Wally was close to recreating pre-flashpoint (with NU 52 Batman history and for Golden Age Wonder Woman in the JSA and JLA) but it collapsed because of the dark multiverse. Anyway DC said most stuff will count, so it's a matter of fitting in what works and what will be deleted post Death Metal. 

Edited by D.Z

Dc plans to have Jon Kent as Superman and Metropolis will be bottled up like Kandor. Clark now older will lead the Authority. So seems some stories will take place in the near future.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:10 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

re-read death of the family. Such a great story. Going on to Zero Year next. Never read it and not sure what to expect. 

Zero Year is the New 52 attempt at Batman's origin by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo who were on the flagship Batman book. Zero Year's good overall. The first chapter's the best part, then the last. The middle section's weak.

Edited by The Natural

Death Metal 2 

Spoiler

Wondy and Wally and Swampy meet up with the JSA underground and later Barry to where Batman is reviving dead heroes.

Either Batmans new one Earth or Wonder Womans infinite multiverse will win out.  Doesn't seem like Prime Earth can revert backwards because Barry time travelling to the past doesn't work. Only 6 Earths remain in the NU52 multiverse, Earth 30 with the communist heroes gets destroyed, so that's some good news.

The Batman who laughs now has Dr.M powers and is blue, and just casually kills his own minions. Except for one he plans to turn into the Robin King.  BMWL then changes into the Darkest Knight, a shadowy black creature. He wants to create a 52 multiverse of nightmares.

Anyway all the heroes meet up with Metal Man versions (I think) of those evil Batmen from the old Metal crossover and go inside a giant Superman Batman WonderWoman composite robot to face evil.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

It's probably not going to be near as good as Watchmen HBO was.

Probably not, but I'm still excited.  12 issues seem to be the sweet spot for Tom King.  Vision, Mr, Miracle, Omega Men, the current Adam Strange limited.  Not a huge fan of his longer runs, but I generally like King a good deal.  And I don't have any issue with DC using Watchmen characters in the DC Universe proper.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:30 PM, Brian Fowler said:

A bit over three hours in, and Audible's new Sandman audio play is fantastically well done.

So, it's biggest strength is also it's biggest weakness: it's a very faithful adaptation. There's a couple small lines I noticed had been changed, and probably more I didn't notice, but it's pretty close to word for word, and certainly it's the exact plot points. So no complaints that they ruined it, but it's also not exactly anything you don't already know unless you've never read the comic, and how likely is it very many people will first experience Sandman as a radio play on audible?

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

do they have some beef i'm not familiar with?

Jae Lee doing a cover for Ethan Van Sciver's comicsgate book, apparently. Which I didn't know had happened until this.

• Thanks 1