DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXVII

Dolfan in NYC

I wish Marvel had cast Brock as Thanos now.

I'd love to see some bizarre interpretation of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, have Brock with one last date on his contract, Authority have made some sort of uneasy truce where if he can survive his last date with the title, he can keep it. .....however the title now has a 24/7 rule attached to it.

The PPV doesn't even have a card announced, it's just Brock arriving in the car park, and being met by job guys, he fights them all off and makes his way through the building just annihilating guys left right and center.

HHH as Adam Warlock to Orton's Silver Surfer, holding him back for a greater purpose as Lesnar runs through everyone.

People didn't believe  Punk would look believable against Brock, but Brock is talented enough to make anyone look like a threat if he wants them to. 

I was suggesting Punk precisely because I think he'd look more like a credible threat. Especially after being off the roster for a few months. Maybe he was doing some hardcore training with the Gracies or something.

People didn't believe  Punk would look believable against Brock-

-and those people were proved right. We all believe that Punk is so good a UFC champion needs an obese Jew to interfere for him to have a chance...

Instead of finding the Eye of the Tiger, how about Cena stumbles upon the Eye of Tyr?

It might be the only thing that can stop him.

Delirious vs. Brock must happen. Even if it's somewhere in the world on a No Mercy CAW binge night.

I just finished re-watching Rollins/Ambrose. I don't know how anyone can hate that match. It told the perfect story. Two guys who hate each other. Once is crazy and the other a bit more calculated. Ambrose wasn't going to let ANYONE stand in his way. On the other hand, Rollins was trying to inflict pain onto Ambrose and then get the hell out-of-there. Everything he did was to circumvent the gimmick Rollins did not choose.  Rollins at one point thought he found the perfect escape from the madness, only to find himself being carried right back toward the nut case Ambrose. I love seeing the Lumberjack trope tossed on its head. If it was just  Bo Dallas vs. Goldust and it was executed the same- it would have been over-the-top and made no sense. Because its a blood feud and these guys (especially Ambrose) have been gunning for each other-- it worked.

Usually stepping outside the gimmick (see cage matches) leaves me rolling my eyes. This worked. I hope WWE can find other creative ways, within the context of the feud, to break gimmick tropes. I have yet to see a TLC match worked logically with two guys trying to win vs. two guys trying to put on a stunt show while playing Legos.

I'm glad people liked that Ambrose/Rollins match. I definitely am in the minority, and I accept that. The important thing is that most people enjoyed it.

However, they made the stip useless in the first six minutes, had a terrible wandering brawl around ringside, and had the obvious "lumberjacks carry Rollins back so Ambrose can splash everybody" spot that I just really viscerally thought was stupid and fake, in the sense that it was obvious that it was coming and that normally, they would have just dragged him back and tossed him in otherwise instead of carrying him. 

People might say, "Well Ambrose is crazy and of course he'll ignore his own stip," but if the match is going to be one where Rollins wants to escape and Ambrose wants to hunt him down, they needed to make it a cage match. Have Rollins escape for the win, and blow it off with a cell match where the top is on and now Rollins has to stop running away and confront Ambrose. I believe in making the stipulation as meaningful as possible, and the lumberjacks finally bringing Rollins back wasn't enough to make up for the fact that somehow, these guys are fighting in the stands during a lumberjack match, which is stupid on its face. 

I'm also not a fan of Kane being a focal point at the end of the match, even for a bit. I know that it set off the part where everything breaks down into chaos (and I do appreciate Cesaro at least taking the chance to attack RVD again), but there's another spot that just felt contrived when I'd rather have Rollins going into his final plan for survival against Ambrose to be the focus. I mean, I like Goldust getting in Kane's grill and all, but this is a case where structurally, it made sense - I just didn't like the structure. I didn't like the structure of any of it. Most lumberjack matches are terrible, but I feel about this one kinda how I feel about that Diesel/Sid one that I'm figuratively shuddering to re-visit once I get to '95 WWF in a few days/weeks. Not that the matches were structurally similar in any way, but just as a "man, I really hated that" sort of thing.

I love Ambrose and really like Rollins, so it was disappointing, but I think the cage/cell will serve them better, even without blood. 

-and those people were proved right. We all believe that Punk is so good a UFC champion needs an obese Jew to interfere for him to have a chance...

Because in the No Disqulification Wrestling match the professional wrestler was allowed to use a steel chair, and also punch the guy, who used to be a UFC fighter but is now also just a professional wrestler, in the nuts. 

Wrestling has proven that any guy can beat any other guy regardless of experience or size. The small technical wrestler who was trained in his dad's basement can beat the 500 lb sumo wrestler. The showstopping pretty boy can beat the 350 lb psychopath who likes to shove his fingers down people's throats. The drunk Texan can defeat an undead zombie who buries people for a living.

• Like 3

If they were going to run Rollins/Brock, the only way it would work is to book it as a clusterfuck. Steal from that Dude Love/SCSA match in part and have The Authority, after realizing that they can't control Brock and need to get the title off of him, come down to ringside and change the rules to try and help out Rollins during the match. Once they make the match hardcore, the Authority has to run guys down to the ring to try and take Brock out. Essentially, make it a six-on-one, seven-on-one, eight-on-one match. If you want to put the belt on Rollins, that's the only way you could do it - by using a mob of guys to help Rollins take out Brock. OR you have Brock murder everyone and somehow win anyway, but that might turn him face. 

Building up a monstrous-looking guy only to have someone finally overcome him is the all-time most basic, fundamental booking in professional wrestling.  Lesner should and probably will trample everyone until someone finally beats him.  The only reason it's going to fail is because it's going to be Roman Reigns.

Because in the No Disqulification Wrestling match the professional wrestler was allowed to use a steel chair, and also punch the guy, who used to be a UFC fighter but is now also just a professional wrestler, in the nuts. 

Wrestling has proven that any guy can beat any other guy regardless of experience or size. The small technical wrestler who was trained in his dad's basement can beat the 500 lb sumo wrestler. The showstopping pretty boy can beat the 350 lb psychopath who likes to shove his fingers down people's throats. The drunk Texan can defeat an undead zombie who buries people for a living.

Because Punk's cadre of anti-fans can't just accept that their dislike of Punk isn't just a personal opinion, but is somehow grounded in provably objective fact.

I have not particularly liked Rusev, (and I still hate his Cold War relic of a gimmick,) but I can admit the angle is over as hell, and also note that he did a pretty good job at SummerSlam.

For whatever reason, and we don't even have a certain troll to blame any more, some people can't take themselves out of their heads and accept that Punk/Lesnar was a good match, and one that was hot as hell with the crowd. "Blah blah he needed Heyman". Well yes, the heel needed to cheat to win, because Brock wasn't yet being booked as the unstoppable monster.

This is how the SHIELD gets back together. The three of them unite out of nowhere to triple team Lesnar before Rollins cashes in.

That thought had crossed my mind as well (in terms of shocking surprises) and I'm in the midst of watching Rollins and Ambrose go hard on Raw. I could totally hear Ambrose doing that promo, throwing their rivalry out the window, saying something like "What, like none of us have ever taken a beating to prove our point before?" Roman needs another year in the cooker. I've said it 30,000 times here and elsewhere-- Roman is on the cusp of being where Nash was when he was with paired with Michaels, and I think if they had just given the Shield a little longer with those guys he'd be all the better for it. The difference is while Nash stood at ringside and watched Michaels, 123 and Razor work every night, Roman is learning WHILE he works.

I'm a little off track now from the original topic at hand, but whoever here said that Roman needs to do a couple dozen house show loops with a Finlay or Dustin type vet was 110% on the money (I'm sorry I forgot who said it, if you're reading please take credit)

Just finished the show. Wonderful SummerSlam

Miz and Ziggler have really good chemistry together. Their characters are good antagonists for each other and they click in-ring. I'd be okay with them running a lengthy feud between them. 

Paige and AJ was great. The WWE never books titles to switch frequently anymore so it was a good change of pace to see Paige win it back. Not that we need Crash-TV title changes, but having midcard belts change hands frequently would build a lot of excitement. I do like after Bryan Alvarez had this take on Paige needing to drop the Paigeturner because it was too dangerous that she just fucking spikes AJ with a fishermanbuster. 

In a harbinger of things to come, we have a plucky underdog heel overcoming adversity to win against a more experienced opponent. Rusev's selling was fucking great and he showed amazing fortitude. That was a fantastic match from both guys. I'm completely cool with shooting Lana and Rusev to the main event. The act is perfect and I think can even get over without the cheap heat Russia angle. It's actually kind of funny but they remind me of AJ and Dolph from a couple of years where they're heels on TV but if you follow the social media they all come across like the funniest people. Lana stoically staying in her Russian character and posting Instagrams with Anna Kendrick is pretty hilarious. 

I do wonder if that's the end for Zeb. It would be a bummer but there's not much use for a babyface manager. If it is, that was a really great, very unexpected run for him. 

Lumberjack match was a bit short (though we know now they were saving the epic for Raw) but it was really good. The lumberjack stip helped add to the chaos and it was definitely a good change of pace from the other stuff on the show. 

Jericho and Bray was good. I probably liked it more than most and I'm pretty down on both guys. Jericho isn't quite at RVD level but he's clearly lost several steps. Good worker but I think he'd be better off as a heel at this point where he doesn't have to be a fired up babyface Bray remains over due to the entrance and mannerisms but his offense is a bit paint-by-numbers at times. 

Steph vs Brie was hossy. Like Rusev, the heel comes out a lot better than the babyface. Steph gets goaded into a match, comes out of a 10 year-retirement, and in front of her 3 children and the fucking Four Horsewomen dominates a woman that has a ton more experience than her. I will never get tired of Hunter taking over-the-top bumps for the Bellas, too. There's probably a reason to have Steph do another match or two against another diva. Like, if they could book her against a debuting Charlotte I think it'd be a big deal.

Reigns vs Orton was...well, Orton was really good but, as has been hashed out over and over, the Reigns super-push isn't exactly there yet. I'm not as worried as some because the same shit was said about Lesnar and Big Dave and they became very good main-event style wrestlers after winning the belt. Orton was very good in this match. He really has some of the best timing in wrestling.  

Main event was incredible. Incredibly booked. Great work by everyone in the match

I saw the huge German announce table team. 

I saw Lesnar throwing a lot of German suplexes. 

My vision was sadly not realised. 

They weirdly showed a lot of respect for the German announce table both at Summerslam and at Raw. I was expecting someone to go through that table as well.

It's almost like they're afraid of the Germans. What's up with them having their own table anyways?

They weirdly showed a lot of respect for the German announce table both at Summerslam and at Raw. I was expecting someone to go through that table as well.

It's almost like they're afraid of the Germans. What's up with them having their own table anyways?

They invaded and annexed the Polish announce table.

I'll be here all week.

• Like 3

They wanted to know why everyone's been so negative lately. All they hear is NEIN NEINTY NEIN.

• Like 9

They're worried at the progress made by Rusev in the past few weeks...

Kane was my favorite part of the Rollins/Ambrose match.

The Director of Operations came out to DIRECT OPERATIONS. "You stupid fuckers, you had ONE JOB. GO GET THEM." 

Pair that with the small callback to the Rhodes vs. The Authority when Goldust mouthed off to him, and WWE scored a +2 for logical storytelling. 

The Director of Operations came out to DIRECT OPERATIONS. "You stupid fuckers, you had ONE JOB. GO GET THEM." 

This is basically why I didn't enjoy the match as much as everyone else - all the lumberjacks looked like complete idiots for not keeping them in the ring. I get the "they're too wild to contain!!!!!" stuff, it just doesn't make sense in the context of the match without making the entire midcard look like shit. Ambrose leaping into the middle of over a dozen people and somehow making every one of them fall down and sell didn't really help matters.