DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXVII

Dolfan in NYC

It was great at what it was supposed to be.  Namely, an ass-whipping with John Cena bringing his very best selling (which is something he's fucking great at) and Brock Lesnar bringing all kinds of fun taunting and brutality.

It was a goddamn great match.

• Like 1

I loved the outcome of the main event but I won't pretend it was a great match. It was 16 German Suplexes, 2 F-5's & Lesnar getting out of both the Attitude Adjustment & STF. It put him over huge, like it was supposed to do but they weren't trying to have a great match, they were telling the story of Lesnar being so dominant that even the top dog in WWE can't stop him.

Last time I checked, matches that tell a compelling story are "great."

• Like 5

I understand that they wouldn't and shouldn't put two diva matches back to back and all, but I felt like one of the weirder parts of the show was Reigns being in the death spot. He is the guy that is suppose to be the next guy?

As far as people believably beating Brock...man I don't know. as a Bret Hart fan I'd love to see them run with Bryan but after the beating Brock gave Cena tonight I don't know. Maybe Ambrose or something later on, someone who's too psychotic and deranged to stay down and know he's hurt, maybe?

If they ever did a Bryan Vs. Brock match, they could replay the famous Bret Vs. Diesel "last resort" finish.  That finish was made for David Vs. Goliath wrestling matches.

• Like 2

I wonder which WWE staff member just woke up one day and decided to finally push Brock as the most unstoppable heel ever. I mean, that Cena match was almost overkill. I guess you can say the immediate F5 threw Cena off his game, but right now there's not one guy on the roster that can believably touch the guy. Hard to believe at the same event last year he needed constant interference from Heyman to beat Punk. I really don't know who challenges Lesnar next though, cause the roster is completely devoid of credible main event faces. And I have no interest in it being Reigns. Seth should just give the case to Ambrose and have the crazy motherfucker cash it in for Brock's first defense. 

No love for Brock mocking Taker's zombie situp? That was pretty awesome.

I was expecting a gif of that to be posted within the first 5 responses. With apologizes to HHH selling that drop kick like he got kicked by a mule, that was the image everbody will remember.

• Like 1

With all the times Cena has made the amazing comeback, it means so much more now when someone absolutely pulverizes him and leaves him for dead.  Wow.  That match was the equivalent of someone putting a puppy in a bag and beating it with a hammer. 

I can't comprehend how sore his neck and shoulders will be tomorrow morning. 

"Great"? Wow, maybe I've lost touch with the current breed of wrestling fans. Not one of those matches were great. Big match main event for sure, but the lumberjack was silly (brawling in the crowd???), Wyatt/Jericho was boring. The dead crowd didn't help, but I wasn't impressed. 3.5 stars.

If I was Rollins I'd ask if the mitb contract could be used for other titles.

If I was Rollins I'd ask if the contract could be used at Ring of Honor or IWA Mid South.  That will be interesting to see if they even try to make people believe that stipulation

I want Jericho to stay around to the next PPV rebooting his silly save-us Y2J!1! gimmick getting a title shot and getting the piss beaten out of him so badly he doesn't come back ever again, his jacket was cool as fuck tonight, though.

Ambrose absolutely decimated Rollins with that lariat, good fucking god that was great, imagine the pop that would get cleaning Brock's head off at Mania.

"Great"? Wow, maybe I've lost touch with the current breed of wrestling fans. Not one of those matches were great. Big match main event for sure, but the lumberjack was silly (brawling in the crowd???), Wyatt/Jericho was boring. The dead crowd didn't help, but I wasn't impressed. 3.5 stars.

I really don't see how someone who rates matches with stars can look themselves in the mirror and not think "Wow, I am such a fucking asshole." Wrestling matches shouldn't be based on stars and shit. Matches should be graded on rather you were losing your shit after watching it. More people than not love the Brock smash match and it's way better than the Krusty clip of 'What the hell was that?' being replayed over and over.

And what does Jericho bring to the table? Since 2010, has anyone looked good or better by being against Jericho?

• Like 4

Decent show overall. A few boring spots, but definitely a couple good highs too.

I'm not sure anyone's commented on Ziggler winning the IC belt yet. That was certainly unexpected. I'm happy for Dolph. He's not the greatest, but he has his moments and he's way too over to be jobbing like he has for the last year.

Paige/AJ was pretty solid, definitely more of what I expected from these two when they paired up. Paige's character work is catching up to her already great ring work. I love her cradle DDT finisher, and she had a nice transition into it from the black widow here.

The "flag match" was decent. A dueling injuries storyline is a pretty reliable formula for any two semi-competent wrestlers. Rusev had strong performance here, and I'm glad he got the decisive win.

The lumberjack match was as good as it could've been. No doubt these two have a MOTYC in them somewhere, but there was too much gimmicky stuff going on here for it to be this one. The lumberjacks running around like the Keystone Cops and doing the Adam Rose entrance for Seth Rollins was kind of amusing.

Bray/Jericho was just there. Bray's lost so much steam over the summer and Jericho's not reliable every night anymore. That finish was a sad attempt at recreating the Rumble finish with Bryan.

Steph/Brie was nowhere near as good as the story leading up to it. Steph brought it, but Brie totally wilted under the pressure. She had no fire and couldn't sell the easiest of revenge angles. The structure was pretty bad too with Steph controlling the early parts of the match, further taking the crowd out of it. HHH's sell of the baseball slide was nice, though. And Nikki must've channeled the spirit of Misawa with that forearm to keep Brie down for so long.

Reigns/Orton was disappointing. Not because it was a terrible match, but rather it was a blandly average match despite both guys obviously trying very hard. Reigns is nowhere near ready for the main event. There's no way he can sustain the reactions to justify a program with Lesnar with performances like this. Like I said, he needs some midcard feuds with Sheamus and Cesaro to get better.

There's not much left to say about Cena/Lesnar. That match had some Vader/Misawa tendencies, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Brock's character work was off the charts, and Cena sold his end of the story very well too. That shot in the corner after the AA where Cena just knows he's toast was tremendous. Kind of surprised to see him take all those head drops given his injury history, but man did it make Lesnar look like a killer. For storytelling purposes, this match should've happened before their previous one, but obviously no one thought that far in advance. Great effort from everyone here, though, and props to WWE for having the balls to try something totally different. That has to be the squashiest advertised ppv main ever, right?

It was great at what it was supposed to be.  Namely, an ass-whipping with John Cena bringing his very best selling (which is something he's fucking great at) and Brock Lesnar bringing all kinds of fun taunting and brutality.

It was a goddamn great match.

It was a great spectacle for sure, and I won't argue against someone saying it was a great match. I love that it felt more like a fight than a wrestling match without being a shitty faux MMA style match.

JR will probably complain on his podcast that the ref didn't attempt any 10 counts with Cena on the mat.

RVD v. 2014 Lesnar: RVD somehow gets Lesnar down long enough for the frog splash, only he does the splash. Lesnar immediately no-sells the frog splash, gets up to his feet with RVD in his arms, and F5s RVD for the win

if there was a way for Lesnar to do Rolling F5s, he could do it