DVDVR Message Board

RIP Robin Williams

dogwelder

I was really hoping it was a hoax.  My heart sank with every news piece online that mentioned this, and seemingly all in the last 20 minutes.  My wife is holding out hope it's a hoax, but I don't think so.  Really, really sad.

And Harms, I don't know what that is referencing, but you might want to mention that.  Otherwise it comes off weird.

This is absolutely shocking and awful. He was one of my favorite performers and someone I could always watch to make me forget about whatever was bothering me. I hope it brings more attention on how serious a problem depression is, if that is what he was suffering from.

Michael Ian Black tweeted about it, and he had all these responses saying it was a hoax. Then I googled and it was true and I was so pissed.

So sad to know someone who made billions of people laugh was in so much distress.

It was completely awful but unfortunately not too shocking if the reports of his severe depression in the last couple months are true.

In a world of short attention spans you can wonder what the big deal about Robin Williams was given how unsuccessful he was on TV last couple years and how oddly dark and twisted some of his movie characters were lately.  But he was a incredible comedian in the late 70's and most of the 80's.   Mork and Mindy was a great show (the chemistry between him and Jonathan Winters is legendary)  and Good Morning Vietnam is a classic.  His stand up specials on HBO in the 70's were mind blowing for how chaotic he was.   Also never forget his charity work including one of the 3 original founders of Comic Relief telethons

And Harms, I don't know what that is referencing, but you might want to mention that. Otherwise it comes off weird.

He says that line after he pelts Brosnan with fruit in Mrs Doubtfire. My apologies if anyone thinks I'm taking the piss. Dudes a legend.

Also it was "run-by fruiting". So I fucked that up. Nothing to see here, people.

• Like 3

It's weird. I actually enjoyed watching him in movies, either comedic or dramatic (though mostly dramatic) and yet, I always found him a bit overbearing when I saw him on chat shows or whatnot. Like most comedians, he was always on, where every line had to be a punchline, but he seemed moreso than others.

Still, this is genuinely sad. The first movie that came to mind was World's Greatest Dad... not a movie I particularly liked, but it seems now looking back at it that that character may have hit close to home for him.

An absolute sucker punch sad.png

If the suicide by hanging is true i guess i won't be watching World's Greatest Dad anytime soon.

Watched SO much of his work, Good Morning Vietnam, Garp, Club Paradise, Mrs Doubtfire, The Fisher King, Birdcage etc he has been in some terrible rubbish as well but even in them there were glimpses of fun (he's the only sodding thing to watch Happy Feet for) and World's Greatest Dad might just be him at his best as an actor.

Fuck off with this news

I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed, life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor," he says, "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

• Like 11

Yeah I don't think anybody epitomized the "sad tragic clown" thing more than Robin Williams. When I learned he started his career as a mime, it all made such perfect sense. Going on the sad smile thing mentioned a page back, I hate to psychoanalyze people I never met but Robin always struck me as the kind of guy who made people laugh to hide a deep inner sadness. I guess that's what made him such a terrific dramatic actor - that vein of melancholy that always bubbled under the surface of him and his performances.

Anyway, with apologizes to Carlin, Pryor and many many others, Williams is probably the funniest guy I ever saw in my life. I for damn sure don't recall ever laughing harder at anybody than when he was on his game. So thanks for the laughs Robin.

• Like 1