DVDVR Message Board

Mortal Kombat thread

BrianS81177

I could have sworn we had a Mortal Kombat thread, but I didn't see one on here. 

So if anyone hasn't heard yet, they just revealed that Kano will be in MKX, bringing the number of confirmed fighters up to 8:

Kano

Raiden

Sub Zero

Scorpion

Ferra/Torr

Kotal Khan

Cassie Cage

D'Vorah

• Like 1

So are we gonna get Quan-Chi's Legion of the Unliving vs the new generation, with all the returning characters being (at least initially) under QC and Shinnok's control, or will they have some bullshit excuse to have Sub, Kano and any other non-Scorpion MK9 deaths alive from the beginning?

So are we gonna get Quan-Chi's Legion of the Unliving vs the new generation, with all the returning characters being (at least initially) under QC and Shinnok's control, or will they have some bullshit excuse to have Sub, Kano and any other non-Scorpion MK9 deaths alive from the beginning?

Kano didn't die in MK9. And the story appartly has some time travel elements, which probably explains Sub-Zero. Could be One of the Zeros son (Like Cassie Cage) or a past version.

I need to replay MK9 story mode, because I was positive that pretty much the entire cast was wiped out save Raiden, Cage, Sonya, QC and Scorp (who was, of course, dead before it started). And Kratos, if we want to count him.

Total Spoiler Time

The Dead are Lui Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Jade, Shang Tsung, Sindel, Nightwolf, Kabal, Stryker, Jax, Smoke, Cyber Sub Zero, and Motaro. Mostly good guys.

I'd say Mileena is a lock, at least one cyber ninja, Shinnok, Quan Chi, Reptile, Ermac and Noob make the most sense. Maybe Baraka if it's only Cyrax or Sektor and not both.

Cage and Sonya would be too old. Gotta be a new shaolin in there somewhere.

More spoilers ahoy, but it's been long enough I'll assume if you are reading this, you played the last MK, with story mode.

To clarify, it's not actual time travel from what I've gathered, as much as story mode will take place from the moment the last game ended, to 25 years later. I think a lot of the going back in time talk has a lot to do with D'Vorah, Kotal Khan, and Ferra/Thor all have a very "rainforesty" feel to it? It seems off because it's so far away of what they have made me imagine Outworld is. But maybe Kotal Khan is a fantastic leader that has led to a complete overhaul in wildlife in Outworld? Hard to say.

Okay, character calls. 12 new, 12 old. We know 4 of the old, in Scorpion, Raiden, Sub-Zero, and Kano. It's been hinted at that at least 1 character who debuted in MK4 will be in. Assuming this isn't Quan Chi or Shinnok, that will leave one of Fujin, Jarek, Tanya, or Kai in. Fujin has to be the favorite, with Jarek standing no chance. Hard to imagine Tanya being in, because Edenia was never freed in this time line, which was her one thing. Kai could make some sense though, admittedly less likely then Fujin.

It's also rumored one character from The Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon era will debut in the new time line (assuming it's not Kenshi). Ruling out the characters that were either hated or nobody cared about, the list would look like Bo' Rai Cho, Frost, Mavado, Nitara, Havik, Sareena, and Daegon. I think. Mavado is eliminated by Kanos presence, Frost by Sub Zeros. Nitara is an outside shot at best, and while I wouldn't be surprised by Daegon, I certainly am not expecting him. Bo' Rai Cho, Havik, or Sareena seem like the smart money.

So, if. I had to guess on a lineup...

1. Scorpion

2. Sub-Zero

3. Raiden

4. Kano

5. Reptile (still living, his species lives a long time, very popular, seems like an obvious return option)

6. Ermac (more popular every time he's in a game, fantastic potential to evolve as a character, no reason to think he ages)

7. Quan Chi (duh)

8. Fujin (god, doesn't age, and his wind powers seem like they'll be much more useful in 2D. Not that popular per say, but seems to be the fans pick of character from MK4 to bring back.)

9. Sektor (Easily the "power player" of the robot options, was a massive part of the original storyline in spite of limited games, expect him to be the most used bot. Doesn't age, so could still be relevant regardless of time.)

10. Sareena (shot in the dark here, but the returning list really lacks the females, and she seems to be a developer favorite. Technically a demon thus aging isn't really a thing.

11. Havik (going with a second on the argument Sareena actually debuted in The Sub-Zero side game forever ago. Havik hits that perfect mix of unique character mixed with "could actually do some unique shit on the current game system".

12. Hard to call, so I'll say one of Noob, Cyrax, Mileena, Kenshi, or even Smoke (yes, he died last game, but he was so awesome I want him back, whoever doesn't make it, multiple will be back as DLC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ed Boon's been tweeting "Bohemian Rhapsody" lyrics. People are thinking this is a hint to Queen Sindel.

I love Sindel, but can't see it. Maybe a new Queen of Outworld though. If I recall, wasn't there a reference to who would be next in the line of succession in event of Shao Khans army in the event of his death?

All Hail Queen Mileena!

found a convenience store with a tiny ass arcade in it (there's like 5 arcade games in there).

so of course i had to play a bit. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was my game of choice. played a single quarter, as Scorpion, on medium difficulty. started off fighting a mirror match, which kind of upset me, but i won. then i had to face off with Nighthawk. it was a good battle, but Scorp came out ahead. Then Jade, who always seems to be my kyrptonite, dominated me.

MK is definitely my favorite fighting game even tho i'm pretty mediocre at it. better than all my friends, but way worse than anybody that REALLY knows the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...