DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: HECTOR GUERRERO

RIPPA

I'm a pretty big fan of Hector. 

I love the Hector vs Jack Hart match from Florida.

i can't find that.

Write up from May of Last year (formatting butchered by the PWO board revamp)

Buddy vs Hector Guerrero, April 14, 1979 This should be fun. I don't think I've seen Buddy against someone this much smaller than him in this run. We get a lot of rope running and arm drags. Guerrero works the arm and seems honestly happy that the crowd is behind him. Rose would keep getting a move and quickly go for an elbow drop or something and miss, only to hurt his arm in the process and keep the shine going. Or Buddy will grab the hair to get a mometary advantage but get tossed through with the momentum. This is all babyface in control by numbers but Hector's got some fun stuff (rolling short arm scissors) and Rose's reactions and expressions are great. This sort of thing goes on and on as they switch between holds and rope running and it might go on a little long for the length of the match but Hector's whole sthick here is speed and techniue so I'm ok with it. Buddy takes a powder, goes for the handshake but Hector kicks him with the cheapshot and keeps it churning. You really feel for Buddy here because he's getting out classed no matter what he tries. Finally, Rose hits an elbow out of nowhere and starts to really dismantle Hector using his light frame for all he can get out of it. There are some really gritty looking knees to the side of a prone hector as well. Guerrero gets a flash sunset flip with his speed and starts to take back over (which seems a little much to me, but the flip side is that Buddy is so built up that you know if head more than 2-3 minutes of offense in a row he'd win the match just like that), including this awesome repeated upward mule kicks onto Buddy hanging over the top turnbuckle. Eventually, Hector goes for a cross body and gets caught. Buddy does this awesome little touch of bouncing back against the ropes in order to steady himself before hitting the ribbreaker. Billy Robinson backbreaker and the pin. Wiskowski comes in and they hit the Billy Robinson Polish Doughboy Decapitation again causing Barr to reverse the decision.Hector getting so much offense isn't so bad when Buddy gets the pin so decisively and then they break him in half post-match, but I think I would have liked to see a longer heat segment here. Buddy vs King Parsons, April 21, 1979 This is cut off at the end but Parsons is a hugely different opponent than Guerrero, so let's see what Buddy does a week later. Buddy has a superman shirt on, claims that Stasiak's heart punch can't get through his chest. Rip is seconding Buddy so I find this timeline a little dubious, but I will trust in youtube. Buddy takes an early control with deliberate, cheaty armwork while a very angry granny looks on. Parsons reverses and Buddy pops the crowd by selling his hand huge after he tries to hit Parsons' in the head. They're working the crowd pretty well in this opening. Rose gets a toe on the rope and Sandy Barr goes into business for himself stooging and then kicking it off. For all the crap Buddy puts Sandy through I suppose it's vaguely forgivable. One thing I love about Portland is how much of a family it all seems, whether it's selling the tickets at Sandy Barr's flea market or here, pointing out the news anchor's brother in the crowd. Buddy takes over, hones in on the back and then they start playing up the head again with a big turnbuckle shot that fails utterly. They curtail it quickly enough though and it actually works ok as a hope spot instead of a transition. It's a little back and forth until Rose very dramatically grabs the rope on a dropkick. He starts driving the knee back into the spine which is the only thing that's really worked against Parsons so far and what I'm watching ends. Both of these matches had a lot of comedy and Rose showing ass but they're both quite varied in the actual spots and techniques used. I don't know if I'd call either close to the best of what I've been watching lately though.

I actually am surprised at how much random Hector is up on Youtube. 

Or there are the multiple Jimmy Valiant vs. Hector matches

And I am kinda shocked Matt didn't post this one

Well nevermind - the person who uploaded that video is a fucking idiot

It's Chavo Sr. and Mondo

Knew I should have watched it before posting it

Now you know why I didn't post it.

... Because I didn't post an Elix Skipper match on Elijah Burke day or anything. 

No way. Mando could never have the Backlash Kane match. Never in a million years. He's the gooniest wrestler I've ever seen when it comes to trying to make himself look good and his opponents look terrible. I'm not even sure who I think is worse with that? With Brody, he just acts lazy and no-sells. With Mando, you get the impression he'd work six times harder just to make everyone around him look like asses. Every match with him is Summerslam Michaels vs Hogan, just with him bouncing around the ring on offense more.

No way. Mando could never have the Backlash Kane match. Never in a million years. He's the gooniest wrestler I've ever seen when it comes to trying to make himself look good and his opponents look terrible. I'm not even sure who I think is worse with that? With Brody, he just acts lazy and no-sells. With Mando, you get the impression he'd work six times harder just to make everyone around him look like asses. Every match with him is Summerslam Michaels vs Hogan, just with him bouncing around the ring on offense more.

I love Chavo Jr but if the only Mando you've watched is AWA Mando then you have watched the wrong Mando. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff76pPA-cIQ

• Like 2

I've seen other Mando. Like.. uh.. Memphis Mando? LA Mando? Where the hell else have I seen Mando? I have no idea. But I know I saw enough to hate the guy. At least a couple of territories over a span of years. I will watch more Mando at some point though but not during hector day.