DVDVR Message Board

If you could've attended one show....

With hindsight being what it is, if you could go back in time and watch one show live from the front row, what it be? 

For me it would have to be Wrestlemania 17. My favourite ever card at a real high point in my fandom, it would have been epic to be there. 

Money in the Bank 2011. I was on a crappy vacation with my now ex-wife in an area with no internet connection and nowhere to even watch the show, not to mention that she was ashamed that I even liked wrestling. If I could go back, I'd call up a couple buddies and get tickets for the show and be a part of one of the best WWE shows of all time.

• Like 1

With hindsight being what it is, if you could go back in time and watch one show live from the front row, what it be? 

For me it would have to be Wrestlemania 17. My favourite ever card at a real high point in my fandom, it would have been epic to be there. 

Wrestlemania 17 has such a soft spot in my heart. I was 18 and took a greyhound bus with two friends from Baltimore to Houston for the event. It took 36 hours each way to get there and it was one of the greatest American shows of all time.

For this topic for me it would be the NJPW 1994 Super J Cup. That is what got me into puro in the first place.

• Like 1

Assuming this is like a time machine situation where I could go back and attend a show being the current form of me... Barely Legal. I wasn't even 10 at the time the show aired and didn't know much about ECW really until it died. Having gone back and watched all the DVD's (both the WWE/independent ones and ECW's own Pioneer videos), I feel like that would have been an awesome show to attend and something that I'd really appreciate from a historical perspective. Sure, there's been plenty of more important and influential shows, but I always wished I could have had the opportunity to attend an ECW show just to see what the crowd was like and I figure Barely Legal would probably be the best option.

If we're speaking in terms of attending a show in the form we were when it first aired, I would probably say Backlash 2000. 2000 was the height of my wrestling fandom, or at least, my WWF fandom, and that show wound up being so amazing that I think 12 year old me would have loved it.

Soooooooooo many. I'm not even sure where to start. There are wrestlers that I wish I had seen that I didn't get to. There are places I'd like to go and promotions I wish I could get to watch. For example I would have loved to seen a ton of Japanese shows, like Akiyama/Kobashi in the Dome or Misawa/Kawada. And then there's a division of time - meaning am I that age when I see the match or the age I am now. For example young Jae would have flipped the fuck out to see Macho Man vs. Ric Flair at Mania, but so would 30 year old Jae. Same with Foley/Taker Hell in a Cell. My fuck could you IMAGINE being at that show? Or Eddie winning the title off of Brock?

So I'm just going to go with the first one that popped up in my head: BORN TO BE WIRED so I could see the madness that was Sabu and Terry Funk killing each other in a fucking Bingo Hall live and in living color.

If we're talking matches within our lifetimes?

WWF @ Montreal, Quebec - Forum - August 4, 1989
Tim Horner defeated Richard Charland (sub. for Greg Valentine)
Dino Bravo pinned Jim Neidhart
The Bushwhackers defeated the Powers of Pain via count-out
Barry Windham defeated Paul Roma
The Ultimate Warrior pinned Andre the Giant in under 1 minute
Dusty Rhodes defeated the Big Bossman via disqualification
Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Jacques & Raymond Rougeau in a 60-minute Marathon Match, 3-2 in overtime; fall #1: the Rougeaus won; fall #2: the Rougeaus won; fall #3: the Rockers won at the 48 minute mark; fall #4: the Rockers won at the 57 minute mark; fall #5: the Rockers won when Michaels reversed an inside cradle by Raymond, putting Jannetty on top, after Jacques had done the same moments earlier to put Raymond on top

They did it in Philly and Chicago too. Philly had Hogan and Savage on top so that might have been better.

• Like 1

WrestleMania X-Seven is the one I really wish I could have seen live on Pay-Per-View (got fucked over on that one but I was like nine so what was I gonna do?) and watching it now it would have been amazing to have been in the building that night.

A close tie for second would be the Osaka shows from the G1 this year and last.

So the option was Hogan vs. Savage or Andre vs. Warrior for one minute and Warrior wins? I would have been pissed if I got the Warrior show, and I was a Little Waryah growing up. I'm pretty sure if I saw him squash Andre in a minute I would have turned on him immediately. Andre was one of my heroes.

This maybe a tangential topic, but if we include "shows i should have gone to but didnt"

The mx beating the horsemen for NWA titles in Philly in 1988

I remember being at Hershey Park and them announcing a TV taping in two weeks time. My dad told me he would take me to it but then didn't.

I was sooooo pissed to turn on Superstars and see that Randy Savage lost the title to Ric Flair at that show.

Would have loved to of gone to Summerslam 91 in person. As much as I loved Bret/Perfect, I would have wanted to see Bossman vs. Mountie. God I hated The Mountie so much back then so seeing him get what was coming to him and then hauled off by the cops would have been the best.

Also would have liked to have been at Great American Bash 85 for Flair/Nikita. Plus it would have been great to see Dusty/Tully and one of the infinite matches Jimmy Valiant had against Paul Jones.

• Like 1

Well, i could have gone to WM3 and Ronnie Garvin winning the NWA title but chose not to. So those are probably the top two. Besides those?

Night of Champions at the Meadowlands on my 12th birthday.