DVDVR Message Board

BELLATOR 97 (7/31/13) - Rio Rancho, NM (Santa Ana Star Arena)

epwar

It just feels like Viacom put Bellator in this situation to see if they can turn a real profit. You don't do PPV as a secondary promotion unless you have at least two or three PPV commodities. They have one (literally two past their prime fighters combining as one) at best. That won't cut it.

The first thing I thought is that maybe putting on a PPV helps them in the Eddie Alvarez battle.

It just feels like Viacom put Bellator in this situation to see if they can turn a real profit. You don't do PPV as a secondary promotion unless you have at least two or three PPV commodities. They have one (literally two past their prime fighters combining as one) at best. That won't cut it.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm just saying that if they're gonna do this thing, this fight is probably the best they can do. Maybe if Mo ever makes it to TNA he can be a "name" opponent for either man.

while it has no bearing on either man's career, or the future of the weight class, or really any relevance whatsoever, i've always been interested in Rampage/Tito. i think it is a solid co-main for whatever title fight they decide to headline their debut PPV with.

also, the Alvarez bit was my first reaction to PPV also. Here's hoping this proves his point and he gets freed up to do whatever he wants to do.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm just saying that if they're gonna do this thing, this fight is probably the best they can do. Maybe if Mo ever makes it to TNA he can be a "name" opponent for either man.

Mo made a terrible decision by going to Bellator.  I don't think he'll ever be a "name" now.  At his age, he went to Bellator at the prime of his career and when he's done with them it will likely be too late for him to do anything in the UFC.  I mean, he went to Bellator on the heels of a drug suspension and ACL surgery at the age of 31.  By the time he's done with Bellator and able to sign somewhere else he'll be in his mid 30's.  I mean, he would be in the LHW title picture in the UFC right now, getting seen on PPV, fighting bigger name fighters, the whole deal, and instead he's fighting fucking Jacob Noe.  The LHW division in the UFC is basically shit and mostly populated by guys that are a great style matchup for Mo.  But there he is in Bellator wasting away. 

Obviously Tito will both announce he's in the best shape in his life, and then afterwards, mention that he's got some crippling injury that hurt him in training when he loses.

Tito after the fight- "Yeah man, a lot of people don't know this but I didn't get a good training camp in because I have an acute brain bleed and needed rest.  And I broke my leg two weeks ago and have just been going through practice in a wheelchair hitting a punching bag.  It's tough man but I know the fans want to see me fight so I knew I had to show up and come out here and give it all I got, for the fans.  I love you guys.  A lot of guys wouldn't have taken this fight."

• Like 1

Mo made a terrible decision by going to Bellator.  I don't think he'll ever be a "name" now.  At his age, he went to Bellator at the prime of his career and when he's done with them it will likely be too late for him to do anything in the UFC.  I mean, he went to Bellator on the heels of a drug suspension and ACL surgery at the age of 31.  By the time he's done with Bellator and able to sign somewhere else he'll be in his mid 30's.  I mean, he would be in the LHW title picture in the UFC right now, getting seen on PPV, fighting bigger name fighters, the whole deal, and instead he's fighting fucking Jacob Noe.  The LHW division in the UFC is basically shit and mostly populated by guys that are a great style matchup for Mo.  But there he is in Bellator wasting away. 

You have to remember that he was making money in Sengoku that he wasn't suppose to make for a guy with no MMA experience. That's why SRC has ceased to exist. So a guy who already hasn't endeared himself with Zuffa will likely get below his asking price. That's why he has that bogus deal with TNA and Bellator. He is making what he would in UFC fight number 4 or 5 in his third Bellator bout. He isn't guaranteed to make it to a PPV headlining fight in the UFC or a title fight. And it's not likely he is hurting for sponsorship dollars since Alden Halpern (MMA Elite) is known to take of the guys he likes. By the time Viacom and Dixie Carter are done footing the bill, then he can sign with the UFC for a more "reasonable" price. The legacy part of it is a whole different issue.

Mo had no choice but to go to Bellator.  Zuffa fired him, remember?

They said they would still consider signing him in the UFC before he went to Bellator. 

No way Mo gets far in the UFC, he has no chin.

Shit.  He smothered Mousasi and Mousasi even being the fucking jelly bean that he is is still near the top of the division.  Guys like Shogun would just get laid upon for three rounds by Mo.  Or a smart version of Mo anyway.  He could easily climb that rickety ladder that is the UFC LHW division.  It's a bunch of shitbags. 

You have to remember that he was making money in Sengoku that he wasn't suppose to make for a guy with no MMA experience. That's why SRC has ceased to exist. So a guy who already hasn't endeared himself with Zuffa will likely get below his asking price. That's why he has that bogus deal with TNA and Bellator. He is making what he would in UFC fight number 4 or 5 in his third Bellator bout. He isn't guaranteed to make it to a PPV headlining fight in the UFC or a title fight. And it's not likely he is hurting for sponsorship dollars since Alden Halpern (MMA Elite) is known to take of the guys he likes. By the time Viacom and Dixie Carter are done footing the bill, then he can sign with the UFC for a more "reasonable" price. The legacy part of it is a whole different issue.

I don't know what he's making with Bellator but I do know that his upside is higher in the UFC because of PPV and because of the state of that division.  He could easily have been a co-main or main on a PPV three fights into his UFC deal had he went that direction in my opinion.  Hopefully he still has some juice left in the tank when his Bellator deal is up and is able to fight in the UFC. 

Yeah but in Bellator he's always at the risk of losing to a complete nobody like when he got knocked out by that dude nobody had ever heard of not long ago.  In the UFC if he lost at least it would be to someone decent and wouldn't be as damaging. 

Yeah but in Bellator he's always at the risk of losing to a complete nobody like when he got knocked out by that dude nobody had ever heard of not long ago.  In the UFC if he lost at least it would be to someone decent and wouldn't be as damaging. 

Getting cut is more damaging than getting tossed back into a tournament where the odds would still be in your favor.