DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

14 hours ago, DangerMark said:

Congratulations to Mitakeumi on his Shunkun-sho. Hopefully he hasn't knackered his knee too much to get it. I presume that's to make up for the fact he's not going to be a Sekiwake next time out. Technically, they can promote him and have three Sekiwake, but I doubt they will, if they won't promote Takakeisho to Ozeki despite getting 33 wins over three tournaments.

There really only are three (or more) Sekiwake in one particular scenario: When two Sekiwake exist while one (or more) Ozeki get/s demoted. It happened twice in 2017 for instances, when both Kotoshogiku and Terunofuji got demoted. The interesting part about it was that Takayasu got promoted after an 11-4 from Komusubi while Kotoshogiku got his relegation. Maybe it had something to do with Kotoshogiku getting a shot at winning back Ozeki with ten wins. 

When Terunofuji got demoted, the situation was different, with both Mitakeumi and Yoshikaze defending their Sekiwake ranks while Terunofuji had earned consecutive Makekoshi and thereby lost Ozekihood. 

Since Takakeisho didn't get Ozeki and Mitakeumi "only just" scored eight wins, no hands are forced to open up a sanyaku imbalance (two Komusubi, two Sekiwake is the norm). Mitakeumi will be "promoted" to the east, though. 

Regarding Takakeisho, I can see where they are coming from, but I was still a little gutted. It would have been very interesting to have a young Ozeki for the first time in a while. I was impressed by him nontheless, and impressed I mean by his last three tournaments even. He gave the upper rankers some real trouble in September last year, and after his Yusho had another strong showing. I hope he keeps it up. 

Goeido is a strange cat, maybe even infuriating and frustrating I admit. I think what he has over anyone (but Hakuho) among the Ozeki and Yokozuna is his tenacity. I admire that, but tenacity in sumo to me is not as fun to watch as strength (Tochinoshin), ferocity (Takayasu) and especially technique (Hakuho, Kakuryu). 

@Brian Fowler I like the idea of a Sumo thread and I would gladly participate. It should be noted though that there would be six to eight week periods with down times between bashos, with little news and such. We seem to have quite a few people with interest & Investment in the sport. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Imagine what that is horse is thinking right now.  I mean he thinks he or she did this great thing and now can retire in some beautiful ranch whose only job is to  breed the next winner and because one little thing he will either be working in some scummy race tracks forever or shot to death.

That was totally the correct call and if it wasn’t the Kentucky Derby they would have made the decision in less than five minutes. 

Rules like that are in place to keep there from being a pile of dead horses and jockeys at the end of a race. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you like curling, you should watch the non-ice version, bowls. Or, lawn bowling:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/18/more-than-a-million-viewers-tune-in-for-start-of-t20-of-lawn-bowls?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR01aXLeBePttAg4d9rR4DnbBXD50mQgf4pBtH2m06Zf60Io89mi0talOTI

(they now have the Ultimate Bowls Championship)

Edited by SirFozzie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The WFTDA International Championships are this weekend in Montreal, the big news is that Denver’s Lady Trample isn’t making the trip due to being stuck in the US immigration process and not wanting want to risk leaving the country. I have Rose City winning my bracket and they’re path got easier with Trample not playing. 

• 1 month later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

I’m a fan of the World Rally Championship and the 2020 calendar has Japan returning after a 10 year hiatus and the Safari Rally (Kenya) returning after 17 years. Going to be a good season. 

Unfortunately the manufacturers have dwindled to where Citroen aren’t even running a team anymore, but motorsport is expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 2020 Arnold Sports Festival, which was supposed to begin today has been cancelled.  The bodybuilders will still compete in the Arnold Classic, but there will be no crowds.  

And yes, it's because of the fears of the COVID-19 outbreak. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 7:58 AM, Dewar said:

The AFL just announced they will be cutting the season from 22 to 17 games this year, and might be scrapping their idea to play games in empty stadiums.

Apparently Carlton vs Richmond is happening in a couple of hours because it's on my TV listing for FS2.

• 4 weeks later...