DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

• 2 weeks later...

The World Chess Championship match so far has been a drab drawfest between Fabiano Caruana the challenger and Magnus Carlsen the champion. The first nine matches under classical format have ended in a draw. 

The best part of the match so far might have come from the Chess24 commentary of Game 9 with GM Alexander Grischuk. He tells a funny story of him playing basketball with Magnus Carlsen who was being a bit aggressive with the ball, and with Grischuk's balls.

The November Sumo Basho ended today, and the winner is 22 year old Komusubi Takakeisho, who scored a formidable 13-2, effectively sending him on an Ozeki run, succeeding his nine wins in September. Takayasu finished as 12-3-runner up after a somewhat heartbreaking loss to Mitakeumi (who finished 7-8 despite beating both top guys of the competition) in the final bout of the day. 

The tournament finished without any active Yokozuna after Kisenosato withdrew on Day 5 after for losses at the start of his campaign. Both Hakuho and Kakuryu were absent for the whole competition. Despite or maybe because of the high-ranking absentees this was an exciting with many thrilling bouts and interesting developements. The next basho will be talking place in January. 

• Like 1

The spin that Takayasu put on Takakeisho on Day 14 was something to behold.

What happened to Mitakeumi? He had some good wins, but at times he got blown away. He might keep his Sekiwake rank, barely. At least Ichinojo is head back down, hopefully to the Maegashira.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, ReiseReise said:

The next basho will be talking place in January. 

Rankings for the Kokugikan event will be posted on Christmas Day, so we'll learn Komusubi's path very soon.

The basho will run from the 13th to the 27th

4 hours ago, DangerMark said:

What happened to Mitakeumi? He had some good wins, but at times he got blown away. He might keep his Sekiwake rank, barely. 

He seemed to have the usual second week troubles, without having run up the score as much as he had in some tournaments before. Weird about it was how he lost to people he shouldn't loose to. The next banzuke is going to be interesting. 

Sanyaku will be interesting. Takakeisho will be a Sekiwake. I think Mitakeumi will be the lesser Sekiwake, and Myogiru and Tamawashi the Komusubi, but I could be wrong. Ichinojo can slide right down to Juryo for all I care, but all the upper Maegashira didn't do more than 8 wins apart from Tamawashi, so he'll probably be about 1 or 2. Gutted that Abi did so badly. I love him. 

Abi really is a fun rikishi. It's Kind of worrying that he went 6-9 after a decent start once again. There's a saying in some places that his opponents figure him & his Sumo out at one point. If that is truly the case, he has to learn some new tricks as soon as possible. 

I share your idea on how sanyaku should look like. 2019 is going to be a really interesting year with a lot of top guys in the twilights of their careers. Especially Hakuho is going to be very careful with his health, bearing the potential 2020 Olympics' opening ceremony dohyo-iri in mind. Kakuryu is a skilled Wrestler, but not nearly as dominant as Hakuho. Kisenosato never got over his injury and barring a second Aki-style miracle in quick succession, I see him retiring in early 2019.

A group of former NFL players (Jared Allen, Marc Bulger, Michael Roos, and Keith Bulluck) are apparently professional curlers now.

They made their debut today at an event in Minnesota. They got matched up against Team Shuster in the opening round and things went about the way you'd expect.

Roos and Bulluck must be substitutes or something, as it doesn't actually show them as being involved with the contest.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the benefits of living in the UK at Xmas is the Darts.  I'm sat at the moment with a Glayva Liquer watching the arrows and feeling quite festive! 

Also, according to my co-workers, I look like Daryl Gurney who is on right now.  There have been a few early shocks this year!

"Stand up, if you love the darts!"

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the double post, but the Darts Championship has been great the last few days now that the we are down to the last 16.

A lot of jobbers have somehow got through against the top seeds.

The crowd has been fantastic for the most part.  I'd love WWE to sign John Part as a colour commentator, he's silky smooth.

On the flip side, God only knows what Michael Cole and Vince (by extension) would make of the Ally Pally crowd.

I've been part of darts crowds before, albeit for the Premier League and not the World Championship at the Ally Pally and darts crowds are distinctly...uncouth but, absolutely, positively, fun as fuck. I was there one night when Adrian Lewis hit a 9 darter and, I mean, I can't stand Adrian Lewis and, yet, I still reacted like a 14 year old girl at a Beatles concert. The overall reaction was fucking BONKERS. It's a simple yet incredibly difficult sport played by great big fat men but it's fucking great.

I figure MVG wins it this year the way it's going but I have no idea. Maybe Michael Smith. Maybe some random fucker.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

I like darts player entrances more than most wrestlers entrances.

MVG won world championship #3.

I regret that I never got a chance to play him, not that I would have had a chance, but I do get fired up for superior competition. I do miss it sometimes, I retired in 2016 (well truth be told, I sat around for a year debating whether to have cortisone shot #5 in my arm for the sake of playing a couple more years and then one day I woke up, looked at my darts, (34gm Harrow Assassins) and put them away and said  " that's it now", no last screaming of "Turn out the lights" as I hit the out, not with a bang or even a whimper, just done. I had a good four decade run, I was a decent player for ten years, a good one for another ten. Lights out brilliant for almost twenty years, but never could crack the top ten in the US. I was always somewhere in the top 50, but I didn't do many of the big shoots, why waste an entry fee when the odds are against you? I can win weekly tournaments all year long and pick up a couple of hundred every weekend. That was without travel. Why travel pay for a room and meals and entry fees only to have to face superior competition? I quit playing the Desert Classic when the fuckin crybaby Brits started bitching about not being seeded, they didn't like the luck of the draw one bit. Cocksuckers... That's what makes it fun. One year I cruised into the money rounds because I drew an abysmally weak flight, fair is fair. Now no matter what, you're going to have one if not two world class players seeded in every damn flight. Fuck that shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hatsu Basho is on the way, and it's earth shattering start to the new year in Sumo.

The top six rikishi, three Yokozunae and three Ozeki, took a combined 5 out of 18 matches. Three of these 5 wins have been Hakuho's, who - despite some real test in very close matches - went 3-0.

Kakuryu and the flu-ridden Ozeki Takayasu are 1-2 each. Kisenosato is facing intai, after 0-4 in November being down 0-3 now. The question remains if he'll show up and try to deny surprisingly strong Maegashira #2 Nishigiki in a duel of mirror records...or if he withdraws, gifting the rank and filer a fusensho (win by default). A retirement seem inevitiable though. 

Goeido and Tochinoshin face an uphill battle aswell after 0-3 starts aswell as the dangerous Mongolians Ichinojo and Tamawashi who are both 2-1.

The "young guns" (not all of them really young anymore) are blazing, at least in the tournaments early stages: Mitakeumi and Takakeisho are both 3-0, they will face each other tomorrow. Hokutofuji is 3-0 aswell after dominantly dispatching all three Ozeki. He will get his first shot at a Yokozuna, in his case THE Yokozuna in Hakuho on Day 4 in another Battle of the unbeaten. A third encounter between unbeaten Rikishi will take place in Mid-Maegashira Ranks, were Takakeisho's rival from school Sumo days Onosho meets the beefy Bulgarian Aoiyama.