DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

• 2 months later...

So if you're not up on what Sumo is like in 2017, here's the short version- Hakuho is the greatest to ever do it. A condensed list of Hakuho's records:

• Career Championships (38)
  • Most Undefeated Championships (13)
  • Most Consecutive Championships (7, tied with Asashoryu)
  • 3rd Place in Lifetime Career Wins (1040, and he could break the all time record of 1047 this month)
  • In 2010, tied the all time record of Most Wins in a Calendar Year (86 out of 90)...
  • ...WITH HIMSELF A YEAR EARLIER.

And even with all that, he still has time to pull shit like this on the new guys coming up. Hakuho rules. Sumo rules.

• Like 1

It does and so does Hakuho. His career is monumental. The guy has a decent shot at scoring 1 000 Makuuchi wins, sets alltime records left and right. And his bouts are so entertaining.

Sumo is amazing right now. Takayasu is an Ozeki with great potential. Tamawashi and Mitakeumi are really cool Sekiwake. The Yokozuna have a bad spell now, Kisenosato and Kakuryu having injury-trouble, Harumafuji running out of steam during the last tournaments. But if they are all back at a 100 %, Sumo has a tremendously competitive field. Lots of spectacular Maegashira, great wrestlers in the sanyaku ranks and the greatest Yokozuna of all time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd probably never subscribe to Crossfit as my fitness method of choice but I fucking love watching the Crossfit games. Just love seeing super fit people torturing themselves for four days.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 8:24 PM, SirFozzie said:

It's a NINE DARTER! (heads explode)

I don't know why I didn't comment on this months ago, but any excuse to talk darts is a good one. To give y'all some idea of just how great the great players are and how the bar keeps getting raised, consider this, I was a very good player spanning five decades (started late 70's, retired two years ago) and arguably a great player for about twenty years (top 100 in US). I have never thrown a 9-dart game of 501 or a 6-dart game of 301. I've come close on the latter a bunch of times (making the first five shots and missing the out) but never hit a perfect game. The top players now do it multiple times in a tournament. Think about that for a second... The difference is much the same as if MLB jumped to .400 batting averages as a matter of routine. Where does it end? Bringing back the quatro board? I dunno, but it's exciting to watch...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 9:14 PM, happjack said:

The WFTDA just announced that final game of WFTDA Champs on November 5th will be on ESPN2. This is huge for derby. 

Looks like ESPN2 bumped the live broadcast to ESPN3 so they can show another episode of ESPN 360. But they'll air the final game on ESPN2 on Sunday, November 12 at 7:30pm eastern, not live but a better time slot.

• 2 weeks later...

With a few days gone by, it actually seems there are many sides to the Harumafuji-story. Multiple statements that there was no beer-bottle involved. A weird messed up time-line and strange behaviour of former yokozuna and now stablemaster Takanohana. Lots of tinfoil hat material.

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

With a few days gone by, it actually seems there are many sides to the Harumafuji-story. Multiple statements that there was no beer-bottle involved. A weird messed up time-line and strange behaviour of former yokozuna and now stablemaster Takanohana. Lots of tinfoil hat material.

I blame chemtrails!

The last Basho of the year, the Kyushu Basho, will run from November 12th to November 26th

Dates in December for the Winter Tour:

3rd : Omura, Nagasaki

4th : Goto, Nagasaki

6th: Nogata, Fukuoka

7th: Usa, Oita

8th: Miyazaki, Miyazaki

9th: Kumamoto, Kumamoto

10th: Kagoshima, Kagoshima

11th: Kitakyushu, Fukuoka

13th-14th: Miyakojima, Okinawa

16th-17th: Ginowan, Okinawa

The entire country will pretty much slow down after that in prep for the various calendar New Year's celebrations and Winter festivals and then the New Year's Basho of 2018 will run from January 14th to January 28th.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kakuryu's comeback is such a great thing to watch. I only got drawn back into Ozumo at last year's Hatsu and I was baffled by how weak and inconsistant this yokozuna was. He took time off and got healthy again, it seems, and up until now looks to be performing brilliant yokozuna-sumo. It's great to finally get to see why he is in Sumo's highest rank. And thanks to Tochinoshin and Kakuryu's next opponents (most of them higher rankers than before) we still have an interesting yusho race.

I can only recommend Kintamayamas YouTube channel aswell, he uploads quite early, shows every makuuchi bout and has a great sense of humour imo.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:56 AM, ReiseReise said:

I can only recommend Kintamayamas YouTube channel aswell, he uploads quite early, shows every makuuchi bout and has a great sense of humour imo.

Yeah, the Tachiai blog has links to both Jason and Kintamayama's respective Sumo YouTube channels and I watch them both.

Only four or so days left in the Hatsu so something has to give.

He was definetly in a "make or break" situation. I think he has bought himself one more bad/injured performance before he will be in the same situation again. The way I understand, Yokozunor are expected to be in the Yusho race till the end of the basho if they complete it. Kakuryu has been in it enough to not shame the rank, but there will still be doubts with the way he perforned after going 10-0.

Kisenosato, first Japanese Yokozuna to compete in 14 years, is in the same situation. He won Hatsu (January) 2017 with a convincing 14-1 score to clinch Yokozuna promotion. Then he won Haru  (March) 2017 in a dramatic fashion after basically only having one arm for the last three matches of the tournament. Instead of getting surgery, he decided to let the injury heal naturally and he has since then been only a shell of his former self. He stated after dropping out of this basho with a 1-4 score after five days, that he will put everything on the line in his next tournament. This means he will go intai - retire - if he performs on a sub-Yokozuna-level. Yikes...

EDIT: 

Spoiler

Although I think it's safe to assume all of those interested know already: Georgian bear Tochinoshin took the Yusho on day 14 of Hatsu. I really like his sumo and feel very happy for him, especially since he had bad injury & banzuke luck. He will be a Sekiwake in March. 

I feel a little bad for Takayasu who I still think had Tochinoshin beat or at least should have gotten a rematch, but still, kudos to Big T.

Edited by ReiseReise

Ichinojo, who got ten wins from Maegashira 1, might get the other Sekiwake spot instead. I hope Tochinoshin gets it, but there's no telling sometimes.

To be honest, I just hope they both keep it together in March. At this point, Tochinoshi getting a Kachi-Koshi from a Sanyaku rank would be only the second time in a nearly twelve year career.

I'm super excited as the Roller Derby World Cup is going on right now in London.  I've got a friend on the Korean team, but unfortunately they lost their first two seeding games.  Here's hoping it goes better for them in the upcoming days.

• Like 1